PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Noise Reduction - Still Possible?

Marcel_MPH
23rd Nov 2009, 19:27
Interesting article found about the reduction in aircraft noise over the last decades and an outlook for the future...

Aircraft Noise Reduction - Is it still possible? - Worldwide-Aviation.net (http://www.worldwide-aviation.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103:aircraft-noise-reducement-possible&catid=37:columns&Itemid=66)

Your thoughts?

Dysag
23rd Nov 2009, 19:38
No-one will force the cosy A & B duopoly to spend billions making their present offerings obsolete, as long as they have multi-year backlogs.

ChristiaanJ
23rd Nov 2009, 19:56
Marcel_MPH
Interesting article ... yeah, right.

First of all the article is "black-on-black", hence illegible unless you go and deliberately 'select' the text.

Then most of it turns out to be tendentious waffle.

No thanks.

CJ

JW411
23rd Nov 2009, 19:58
I live "south of Gatwick".

My nextdoor neighbour once asked me a while ago why we get aircraft noise in our area.

After some research, I discovered that the problem had absolutely nothing to do with engine noise. It is simply a function of crews throwing the flaps out at high speed and what is imagined by the public as engine noise, is actually easily solved by putting the flaps out at a more sensible slower speed.

I flew the BAe146 for many years and a very quiet aircraft it was. I was very surprsed to hear that Brussels airport had had several noise violations from BAe146/AvroRJ aircraft.

All of them were caused by dumping flap early on intermediate approach!

Silvertop
23rd Nov 2009, 20:22
Apparently there is a similar effect whilst extending speedbrakes, and even on our 319's whilst stowing them!

But when 4500' above the profile what can you do eh ? make some noise:ok:

cheers Silvertop

rogerg
23rd Nov 2009, 20:22
Same applied years back at Birmingham, most noise complaints were found to be the flaps of the BAC 1-11 lowering during the intermediate approach phase while the engines were at idle.
Made up for it later on the approach, by not using full flap, if possible, for the landing.

dixi188
24th Nov 2009, 09:20
I think the last few remaining BAC 1-11s and VC10s should be flown around the airports of Europe to remind people of how loud things used to be. Then perhaps they would stop moaning.

If you don't want aircraft noise, don't live near an airport!

rottenray
26th Nov 2009, 01:01
Dixi writes:

I think the last few remaining BAC 1-11s and VC10s should be flown around the airports of Europe to remind people of how loud things used to be. Then perhaps they would stop moaning.That's the nail, hit right on the head.

'fans whisper compared to the old turbojets. Now you can hear aerodynamic noise.

Personally, I don't find anything objectionable about aircraft sound. Used to live in Gilbert, AZ, and sometimes the pattern from Sky Harbor would put a few heavies overhead.

Same here in Denver - once in a while, something big and noisy goes scorching overhead (I'm a mile from downtown) but it's a nice reminder of the wonderful technology.

Same for train whistles (horns, I know...) that one hears here in the early morning hours. Man's progress and achievement.

I might feel differently if I lived *really close* to a busy hub (or closer to the tracks) and heard it loudly 24/7, but then again I'm smart enough to not do that.

ChrisaanJ writes:

Marcel_MPH
Interesting article ... yeah, right.

First of all the article is "black-on-black", hence illegible unless you go and deliberately 'select' the text.C, if you're using Vista, you might check your browser settings. The gray part of the page is a background which is actually "pulled up" from a different URL (the site is "http://www.worldwide-aviation.net/" while one of the page's backgrounds comes from "http://openid.net/login-bg.gif"). Some security settings prohibit retrieving data across different domains, this might be affecting the page display.

Also, the article is a bit lightweight, but at least it provokes thought.

Overall, I think a lot of folks just over-react to aircraft noise.

Prolly cheaper to get 'em all iPods than redesign airframes!

Ixixly
26th Nov 2009, 01:29
I'll be honest here. I don't want quieter aircraft, some day I'd like to flying larger Boeings and Airbus and i'd bloody well like to be able to hear it! For my egos sake! :E