PDA

View Full Version : Unions Get More Money

Ned-Air2Air
23rd Nov 2009, 18:43
Looks like the unions will win out of this one. Thats another 275 union dues every pay week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPEIU Grants Charter to Global Helicopter Pilots Association

New York, NY – The Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU), AFL-CIO, CLC, has granted a charter to the Global Helicopter Pilots Association (GHPA), effective October 27, 2009. The group will be known as GHPA, OPEIU

Local 103.

The pilots organized in 2006, but had to fight through a series of legal challenges mounted by the CHC, the pilots’ employer. GHPA voted to affiliate with OPEIU in March 2007, and affiliation was granted upon the recent issuance of a decision by the Canadian Industrial Relations Board (CIRB).

“This was a long time coming, but we’re glad we now represent the more than 275 GHPA pilots,” said OPEIU Director of Organization and Field Services Kevin Kistler. “Contract negotiations have begun, and we look forward to achieving an agreement that provides improved compensation, benefits, and working conditions.”

“I’m truly impressed with the skill and dedication that GHPA pilots have shown in their struggle to gain a voice in their profession,” said Butch Grafton, president of the Professional Helicopter Pilots Association (PHPA). “I also know that with the dedication and determination I’ve seen throughout their struggle to reach this point, they will certainly improve every aspect of their working life.”

ABOUT OPEIU

The Office and Professional Employees International Union represents more than 125,000 members in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. OPEIU represents employees and independent contractors in banking and credit unions, insurance, higher education, shipping, hospitals, medical clinics, utilities, transportation, hotels, administrative offices and more.

Professional organizations and Guilds affiliated with OPEIU are a diverse group that includes physicians, pharmacists, chiropractors, appraisers, podiatrists, dentists, clinical social workers, hypnotists, teachers and helicopter pilots.

Gomer Pylot
23rd Nov 2009, 23:21
Ned, just how much money do you think that amounts to, in the grand scheme of things, assuming the standard 1% dues? Unions exist to protect workers, not to make money. If corporations gave a damn about their employees, unions would not be necessary, but corporations have never cared a whit about their employees, going back in history as far as you care to go. Treat your employees like crap, and they have no choice but to unionize. Treat them with respect, pay them fairly, and they won't need to unionize. Almost all corporations, in pursuit of short-term profits, do the former, and get unions.

Fareastdriver
24th Nov 2009, 08:26
Thats another 275 union dues every pay week.

Does Ned get paid weekly? I always thought that helicopter pilots were paid monthly.

heliski22
24th Nov 2009, 08:40
And there was I thinking they did it out of the goodness of their hearts!:rolleyes:

Ned-Air2Air
24th Nov 2009, 09:12
Heliski - I am rolling on the floor laughing at that one, that will happen when you look out the window and see pigs flying by (and no I dont mean the local constabulary) :ok:

fareastdriver - Opps, yes sorry forgot about that one. :rolleyes:

Ned