PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G1000 Cessna C172 Load a Flight Plan FPL from SD memory card created on a PC

arthuros
23rd Nov 2009, 15:24
Hello all,

does anyone know how to load a FPL created on a PC in the C172 G1000?

Thanks!

arthuros

soay
23rd Nov 2009, 15:34
It's a shame that such an obvious requirement has not been implemented, presumably due to certification constraints. You can't even load a set of waypoints into the G1000.

IO540
23rd Nov 2009, 15:49
With the Garmin x30W units, there is a Jeppesen product called Flight Plan Migrator which takes a routepack from Flitestar and writes out some stuff onto the GPS flash cartridge, which you then plug in.

I don't know the cost, and don't know if there is G1000 support. This is all quite recent and anyway I don't have a Garmin GPS myself.

Fuji Abound
23rd Nov 2009, 15:52
Take a look here:

Upload Flight Plans into Garmin 430/530, G1000 with Voyager (http://www.kitplanes.com/news/news/8777-1.phtml)*

PocketFms* has the ability to export a FP to an SD card in the correct format to upload to a G1000 / 530 / 430 although I gather there are issues of compatability depending where the unit was sourced. There is a write up of the procdure on the forum which is straight forward. If it works this would enable FPs to be exported in either direction.

I have not tried either but would be interested to know how you get on.

* the former covers the US but PocketFMS covers just about everywhere people fly light stuff.

Fuji Abound
23rd Nov 2009, 15:58
For ease here is the procedure for a G1000

1) Insert the SD card containing the flight plan in the top card slot on the MFD.
2) Press the FPL Key on the Control Unit to display the Active Flight Plan Page on the MFD.
3) Turn the small FMS Knob to select the Flight Plan Catalog Page.
4) Press the FMS Knob to activate the cursor.
5) Turn either FMS Knob to highlight an empty or existing flight plan.
6) Press the IMPORT Softkey.
If an empty flight plan is selected, a list of the available flight plans on the SD card will be displayed.

If an existing flight plan is selected, an ‘Overwrite existing flight plan? OK or CANCEL’ prompt is displayed. Press the ENT Key to choose to overwrite the selected flight plan and see a list of the available flight plans on the SD card. If overwriting the existing flight plan is not desired, select ‘CANCEL’ using the FMS Knob, press the ENT Key, select another existing or empty flight plan, and again press the IMPORT Softkey.
7) Turn the small FMS Knob to highlight the desired flight plan for importing.

Press the ENT Key.

I guess it would work the same on a 430.

It would save time and effort with a complex route involving a number of GPS coordinates which are a pain to process while waiting to be "despatched". :) I tend to keep my routes in consequence a great deal more simply - usually a straight line if at all possible. :) :)

IO540
23rd Nov 2009, 17:45
Fuji - great links. So both Jepp and Voyager software now supports this.

Incidentally I also gather that Voyager is what you have to use to upload routes into the Av8aor ACE. This is a PITA since its European user base of this software is going to be somewhere between zero and negligible.

Anyway, the obvious upshot of all this is that once somebody gets hold of a CF card with the suitably prepared route plan on it, it should be easy to reverse engineer it, and knock up some software allowing a route to be prepared using a PC. One day, even Navbox might support it...

Where is this "forum" you refer to?

The remaining issue is presumably that the Garmin CF card is copy protected by having a nonstandard filing system.... any input on this??

tdbristol
23rd Nov 2009, 20:10
Although the Garmin/Jepp website may say that the G1000 generically does support it, it depends upon the version of software in your G1000. I have version 0321.19 [on a DA40], which does not support it.
However, there is a new version 0321.22 which does support this [warranty upgrade if you have 0321.19 or later versions].
May be different on a C172?
Suggest you download the latest docs from
Garmin | Manuals (http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=All)

Fuji Abound
23rd Nov 2009, 20:13
Home of the PocketFMS Foundation. (http://www.pocketfms.com/)

They are probably the best source of digital maps that cover the whole of Europe as well with some nice features (eg weather overlay).

There is an annual fee but very usual for both VFR and IFR flight planning and of course transferring FP to SD cards - or so it would seem.

IO540
23rd Nov 2009, 20:32
How does PocketFMS compare with Navbox for VFR database accuracy

- UK / N France (about the only place I fly VFR now)

- rest of Europe

For example how good is the airport data?

B2N2
24th Nov 2009, 14:22
As far as the USA is concerned, FltPlan.com Flight Planning & Flight Tracking for General Aviation. (http://www.fltplan.com/) has a feature to load your flightplan on an SD card for use with G430/530 and G1000.
Must admit, haven't used it yet.

**** Corrected link, thanks IO540 ****

IO540
24th Nov 2009, 14:58
That site, fltpln.com, B2N2, has everything including online dating on it :)

Now, OK, that will appeal to a lot of pilots but maybe you have a different site in mind :)

Fuji Abound
24th Nov 2009, 16:42
IO

PocketFms only contains the basic airport information - the frequencies, runway heading and length, elevation, lat and long.

It is an electronic chart rather than a flight guide.

The charts are very good and are up dated at least once a month if not more often. Of course the real idea of the software is that you transport the charts to a PDA or Motion Computer for in cockpit use. With a built in PDF I have no need, but as a backup, of for pre-flight planning its a very good piece of software.

dublinpilot
24th Nov 2009, 20:44
How does PocketFMS compare with Navbox for VFR database accuracy

- UK / N France (about the only place I fly VFR now)

- rest of Europe

For example how good is the airport data?

The data in PocketFMS is as close to 100% accurate as anyone can claim. We have come across a number of errors in Jeppesen's database that are not in PocketFMS's database.

The data in PocketFMS is updated from the relevant AIPs, and is updated with each AIP cycle. The database also contains many non AIP entry airfields, which are updated by getting the information directly from the airfields (to avoid any errors).

The data is professionally maintained in house.

You will for example find all the VRPs all across Europe, which are not available in many other GPS systems.

You will also find all the class A airspace in the UK is included, unlike many of Garmin's portable units. (There is a whole range of other data included, such as glider site, bird sanitaries, obstacles, TRA's, HPZ's etc, all updated with each AIP update).

To put it frankly, the data in PocketFMS is professionally maintained, highly accurate, and as good as it gets.

I know you have a particular pet hate of phone numbers in the AIP being incorrect, but phone numbers are not part of the database in PocketFMS. ;)

I hope that helps. There is a free (fully functional) 30 day trial available for download from the link that Fuji gave above if you'd like to test it out ;)

dp