PDA

View Full Version : Sloane Helicopters - Sywell

Need money
23rd Nov 2009, 09:20
I justed wanted to take time out to publicly than the guys at Sloane helicopters.

I flew in yesterday for a brief discussion with them re: courses and SFH having gained my PPL at another school. On departure 2 of their instructors who had just left the circuit were making haste to land back at Sywell as they could see the weather / wind and rain closing in from the South.

I had never been to Sloane before, yet they offered advice both over the air and back in the hangar - and a free cup of coffee to a low houred PPL who was trying to make his way back South.

Their reassurance that I had "done the right thing" in aborting the flight and advice on best course of action for the rest of the day was extremely helpful.

It was my first bad weather flight, first bad weather abort - and what became my first "away" refuel to cover any subsequent diverts / emergencies I may have during the return flight.....

The weather when I left first thing in the morning was clear and bright - I knew the weather would close in later - but thought I would be back before it closed in around lunch.

A day of firsts and some fantastic experience gained - but the point I wanted to make is - thanks to them for making what could have been a very stressful day into a much more relaxed occurence.

:D:D

helimutt
23rd Nov 2009, 14:05
Great call by you and the Instructors. :ok: It's a pity more people in the past haven't done exactly that as they may be with us still, but i'm sure VeeAny will be glad you're keeping his workload low, not having to edit his statisitcs webpage.

Live and learn, and never ever be afraid to stay on the ground if the weather looks iffy, even more so if you feel under pressure by friends and family etc.

HeliCraig
23rd Nov 2009, 14:42
Its those same two instructors who taught me to fly... and the healthy respect I have for the weather comes from them! I had also planned to fly yesterday, and did not... turns out it was a very good decision.

A good decision and glad the guys at Sloane's looked after you!!

inmate
23rd Nov 2009, 15:31
Many years ago, in fact 35years ago I returned from the US with freshly minted certificates.
Out of money I used my last 3.50 and placed an add in Flight International for a sponsor.
Sloane came back to me 2 days after it posted and walked me through a validation with the CAA.
The then Peter Blyth Nutting (yes claims that he was descended from that Capt Blyth) gave me a room at his house, fed me and yes employed me. Yes they were desperate. David George was a gentleman and all the employees so very helpfull.
It seems a lot of years have gone by but their attitude and graceousness has obviously not changed.
Well done and thankyou Sloane.

spinwing
24th Nov 2009, 02:11
Mmmm ...

....David George was a gentleman

Bloody Hell .... I would hope he still is a "Gentleman" ! ;)

Any other option I would not care to contemplate :eek:

inmate
24th Nov 2009, 14:13
Spinwing,
Glad to hear DG is still with us,( and still a gentleman) really wasn't implying he had passed on.:ok: more like remembering him from 35 years ago.

We all can look back and see the lucky break we got in this industry and I can certainly say that without Sloanes I am not sure what would have happened or which career path I might have taken.

Again glad he is still with us.

stringfellow
24th Nov 2009, 22:51
and if you fancy a holiday they have a fantastic flight school in majorca.
i go annually for lpc's its very friendly even more professional...

best of luck.... the reason we fly rotary is because if in doubt... PUT IT DOWN!!!!