PDA

View Full Version : JAA CPL to Bangladeshi CPL issues

AceOfHearts
22nd Nov 2009, 18:37
Dear all,

Having completed all my training in my UK, I have moved to Bangladesh for a Dash-8 position. The airline will provide the TR course (though I will finace part of it).

The difficulty I am facing is that the Bangladeshi CAA require me to get a Bangladeshi CPL for which they have laid some prerequisites. They have recently changed the requirement. Before it was just an Air Law paper and you got your licence.

They have asked me to do an Air Law exam, A "Type technical" paper on a single engine aircraft and 6 hours of flying on that aircraft followed by 1 hour flight test.

Being a third world country, things are not as smooth and standardised (where every one follows the rules) as they are in developed countries or the environment I am used to.

I am curious as to the validity of their request for me to sit a "Type technical" exam. I have given thought to what the ICAO states on this particular requirement, and thinking if I should have a word with the CAA (which is possible) to remove this requirement. If I can put a valid case forward its always possible they will change their requirements!

Basically, ICAO Annex 1 provides "Class ratings" and "Type ratings". A class rating basically covers a range of aircraft of similiar performance and interface which does not require a signficant differences in training to transfer between aircraft of the same class. A Type Rating on the other hand is for aircraft which requires significant amount of type specific training. Single Engine piston aircraft are all put to one bracket and considered one class and are covered by a class rating (you dont need a type-rating to fly a 152 or a warrior)

Their idea seems to be as follows. They want to issue a Bangladeshi CPL based on a type rating on a single engine piston a/c (the exam is a type technical paper for Piper charokee [a/c id prefer] and the 7 hours flying with test is on the charokee). The arguments I can see for this are:

1) There should not be a type technical paper requirement. ie. The charokee is covered in a class-rating for all single engine piston. The whole CPL I have is already based on this class and I should not have to do a Type qualification on one a/c to get a Bangladeshi licence.

2) If I have to get a "type-rating" on the charokee to get a Bangladeshi licence (all so I can then get my Dash-8 type rating endoresed on it)....then why cant I do the same by getting on with the Dash-8 type rating then get the Bangladeshi licence based on this i.e. if the issuing of the Bdeshi CPL requires it to be based on a "type rating" then why not on Dash-8 TR?

Hope I am making some sense. The thing is...if I can put a logical argument across them, I am sure I can get one of these obstacles out of my way - to me it doesnt make sense why I need to sit a type technical written test on a charokee (i never had to do a "type technical" in all my training in UK for CPL/ME/IR). I need a more sound and well rounded argument from people here who have better understanding of what the ICAO says than me (this is an ICAO contracting state though I know its never compulsory for a state to obey ICAO).

I have an appointment at the CAA on Tuesday and I want to go in with a coherent explenation to atleast why I should not have to sit that charokee "type technical" paper. There proposition on what I need to do felt hasty so I am more inclined to 'challenge' it).

Hope some one out there can help. Feel free to ask for more information from me and I will clarify it. Hopefully I will get some replies within the next few hours!!!

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards.

anito4a
22nd Nov 2009, 19:38
1. You comes across as someone from the western developed world knowing better than the local authorities, and I can assure this attitude won't go down well with them. This has to do with their colonial past from the former British empire; think about it.

2. No matter how illogical their rules and regulations are to you, what right do you have to change them by whining and complaining about them? Just comply with their regs. If you can't handle 6 or 7 hours in a piston single engine aircraft of back to basics flying, then you really shouldn't be flying at all.

AceOfHearts
23rd Nov 2009, 04:34
Big words there. You have no idea how it is like here. It is not a small affair doing 6 to 7 hours here. They have 2 to 3 light aircraft in the whole country in 1 flying club with over hundred and twenty students and can take months to do that 7 hours. And try talking with authorities to arrange something...see if you will be heard. If I were you Id be more careful clumsily making big conclusions like if one should be flying at all or not for a career - know the full story or be careful with what you say.

Thanks for point 1 though.

anito4a
23rd Nov 2009, 05:56
I now see your point and I apologise for being terse. Having gone through a number of license conversions myself, I know how laborious the process can be. It seems like every licensing authority around the world does not wish to trust the one your license is based on, and will ask you to comply with their own set of rules and standards.

The license conversion process is more so cumbersome for low hour pilots; those with high hours and a thawed ATPL are usually given alot of dispensation. I don't know what your circumstances are but I wish you all the best in getting the authorities to hear you out. It's never worked for me in the past and I've always had to comply with the regulations that apply. My only word of advice when you meet with them is to smile a lot, and don't be too demanding. My experience in dealing with bureaucrats in less developed countries is that they take great pleasure in exercising their authority, even more so, when they are challenged. Good luck.

coolio545
17th Jun 2010, 12:20
Hi,

So,any news or update about how to get the Bangladesh Licence if you do hold an ICAO one with a type rating?

Cheers..