PDA

View Full Version : I have Windows 7 snags

x213a
22nd Nov 2009, 14:33
Have installed Win7 Ultimate on my PC. It took 2 attempts - the first time round I had no sound and my speakers were not recogonised as being plugged in ???

Now I'm having difficulty installing software - the CD drive acts as if there's no disk in it. I have tried right-clicking / left-clicking it but all I get is the cursor "waiting" visual. The desktop then freezes and my icons disappear. Only solution is to Control-Alt-Delete, log off and re-start.

Anybody have an idea whats wrong?

currently trying to install Works 2004.

Keef
22nd Nov 2009, 14:49
No, but if you ask it, it will tell you what's wrong.

Meanwhile, stop with the Works CD - you'd be better off with Open Office: free, and does vastly more than Works.

Stop all the other stuff that's running, and click on Start - Control Panel.
If there are only about six things shown, click on "Small icons" (top right) and the full set will appear.

Click "Administrative Tools". When that starts, double-click "Event Viewer".

Left-hand column, click the white triangle next to "Custom Views". Click "Administrative Events" that appears.

Wait for it to open the folders (this can take up to a minute).

Scroll down the list that appears (you can move the bottom of the window to show more at once). Look first for red "Critical" crosses, then red exclamation marks and see what they tell you. If nothing untoward there, move on to yellow exclamation marks.

Anything in red that you don't understand, post the details in here. Annoyingly, you can't copy-and-paste that stuff (dunno why) so it's a "pencil and paper and type it in again" job.

mad_jock
22nd Nov 2009, 15:01
See if everything goes tits up in aviation and I have to work as a trouble shooter on roll outs again.

Keef your getting hired as my lead floor walker.

x213a
22nd Nov 2009, 15:04
Thanks Keef, Silly me - didn't think of Open office!!!