PDA

View Full Version : Audio CD burning

mustpost
21st Nov 2009, 18:38
OK, should know the answer to this but still no joy..
After burning audio cds, (albums) they plays fine on my machines -Philips, mac, pc etc.. But - not consistent in 2 - 3 cars, and a friend's Denon. Burned using Nero and reasonable quality CDs.
Wot's the isue with car CD players (admittedly 2001-2003) which mean a CD will play sometimes with the ingition on but no engine, but after starting plays silly b@@gers - erratic?
Yours
Old codger
:(

Saab Dastard
21st Nov 2009, 19:13
Could be the difference between CD-74 and CD-80?

Also, are the CDs closed out?

Are you using CD-R or CD-RW? Some CD players don't like CD-RW media.

SD

bnt
21st Nov 2009, 19:14
Well, while the data format on disc may be OK, burned discs are not optically identical to pressed discs. The laser and pickup on the reading drive have to be able to handle both types. There can also be minor alignment issues on either side that make reading less reliable. Hard to tell without detailed examination of all components.

As for the difference when the engine is running - sounds like interference from the spark plugs, not fully suppressed.

mustpost
21st Nov 2009, 20:09
Thanks for such a quick pair of replies..
CD media OK and finalised etc for domestic stuff, checked it with different CD brands.
bnt, minor alignment is what I was thinking, lack of it in cheapish car units, car 1 petrol, car 2 diesel...:ok:

Keef
21st Nov 2009, 23:50
Could it be something as basic as CD+R versus CD-R?

I've made lots for my cars over the years, always using CD-R, and never had one not work.

mad_jock
22nd Nov 2009, 07:05
It also depends on the CD burner.

They use different width's of beam to burn depending on make model and age. Again the player also uses different widths and error tolerance. Add in the vibration of the car and it can't be read.

I have a LG slim line LU10 which produces DVD's and CD's which work 98% of the time on everything. The 2% of the time are in group 2 hire cars where they skip and generally annoy. If there has been a cock up in bookings or I get upgraded they work without a problem. Can't really complain as it only cost 20 quid and with my Aspire one and a set of 10 quid usb speakers turns it into a cracking little DVD player.

spannersatcx
22nd Nov 2009, 07:33
after starting plays silly b@@gers - erratic?
Vibration?:eek:

Saab Dastard
22nd Nov 2009, 11:28
Keef,

Could it be something as basic as CD+R versus CD-R?

This came up before - there is no such thing as CD+R.

CD-ROM is a pre-pressed CD, CD-R is a write-once CD (WORM), and CD-RW is a re-writable CD.

The only variation on CD-R is between 74 / 80 minute (or 650 / 700MB) capacity. Yes, there are other capacities, but those are by far the most common.

It's only DVD that has the +/- business.

SD