PDA

View Full Version : Is College Degree MUST for Major Airliners ?

ripanrocks
21st Nov 2009, 13:55
I have checked many major airliners pilot recruitment requirements & almost 90% of them prefer the person with a minimum of 4-year college degree or more.
So, my question is does that college degree needs to be in the field of aviation only, or degrees in other fields like Bachelor's/Major's/PhD in Computer/Finance/Electrical/etc are accepted ?

redsnail
21st Nov 2009, 14:13
Generally no, the degree does not have to be in Aviation studies. Although I would confirm this directly with the airlines you've targeted.

Good luck :)

Luke SkyToddler
21st Nov 2009, 17:04
No. Unless you live in the USA.

I not only don't have a college degree, I dropped out from the 3rd year of a 4 year university degree (Bachelor of Arts - Philosophy major!!) after I failed most of my courses miserably, largely due to drinking and playing the guitar too much when I should have been studying. I now have a 3 year gap in my "education" between high school and flying school that I have to explain :)

I subsequently applied for, and got, interviews with several big european and asian major airlines, including probably the most renowned hardest interview on earth - Cathay Pacific - and it wasn't even asked about. (Although I did make a complete monkey of myself in the sim assessment and wasn't offered the job). C'est la vie, I did a couple years with Easyjet instead and then moved on to my current position happily flying airbus widebodies with a middle eastern mega-carrier, who also didn't ask or care about my college degree or lack of.

lpokijuhyt
21st Nov 2009, 17:51
The above post is correct. In the USA, the university degree matters 80 percent of the time with the major airlines. In addition, the US airlines prefer alot of experience.

In Europe, the only things that matter are that you should not have too much experience in order to qualify as a cadet and that you have a really fat wallet.

This may cause you to laugh, but it is true.

McNulty
21st Nov 2009, 18:20
Nope. Not in europe anyway, they look at your atpl results (possibly), your IR (first series pass is a good one) and most importantly they see how you get on in a simulator and try to get a good idea if a) you can actually fly and would be able to handle a type rating course/line training and b) if they could bear to sit next to you in a cockpit for 7 hours.

All that being said, having a degree on your cv (which by the way i do not), can do no harm and could only be viewed as a positive thing, but certainly not an essential.

hollingworthp
21st Nov 2009, 19:40
I'm amazed they have any pilots in the US.

My impression from walking around US airports is that the pilot is seen as even less of a professional position than it is in Europe. They want you to have a degree (which costs a shed load), to have ground out 1000's of hours instructing / GA / TP etc and then still appear to pay peanuts (eg Bob Poster (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8186690.stm))

v6g
21st Nov 2009, 23:55
I'm amazed they have any pilots in the US.

My impression from walking around US airports is that the pilot is seen as even less of a professional position than it is in Europe. They want you to have a degree (which costs a shed load), to have ground out 1000's of hours instructing / GA / TP etc and then still appear to pay peanuts (eg Bob Poster)

I once applied for credit with a US bank - I was surprised to see that the option for pilot came under "Manual Laborer - Truck driver / Pilot / Fisherman / etc...".

Fairly true though.

ripanrocks
22nd Nov 2009, 01:24
I'm shocked :eek:
How can Pilots be included in "Manual Laborer - Truck driver / Pilot / Fisherman / etc..." , even after having 1000's of hours in Instruction with fantastic university degree (e.g PhD).
Specially when one has to spend somewhat 70,000 $ in flight training , with ( 30,000 $ x 4 ) a minimal cost estimation for graduation in a college & more.

BTW, does anybody know how to waive the 'Out-Of-State' tuition fees in the universities ? And yes how can one transfer an "Associate of Aero. Engg." to a Bachelor Degree ? Any Ideas ? :ok:

skyeuropecapt
22nd Nov 2009, 02:13
Airlines in the USA are asking for a 4 year degree in any field to make sure the candidate has enough brain cells to pass a type rating and further company training.
Don't be fooled,a good part of american high school cant read or write properly at the time they graduate and the airlines are well aware of that,hence their requirement.
A two year UNI in Europe is worth easily a Bachelor in the USA.

ripanrocks
22nd Nov 2009, 03:54
Airlines in the USA are asking for a 4 year degree in any field to make sure the candidate has enough brain cells to pass a type rating and further company training.
Don't be fooled,a good part of American high school cant read or write properly at the time they graduate and the airlines are well aware of that,hence their requirement.
A two year UNI in Europe is worth easily a Bachelor in the USA.

I think, you're right :D

12Watt Tim
23rd Nov 2009, 00:21
Guys I worked at a company where I was the only one with a degree, flight ops, ground ops, office or directors. UK schools are little if any better than US. Demanding a degree is just lazy filtering, not relevant. However it does seem to be the case unfortunately that the US majors do demand this. Screw them - go and fly in GA, it's much more fun.

LAX
23rd Nov 2009, 02:21
skyeuropecapt,

As we are into hurling insults - I have had the misfortune of having to fly with some of your countrymen/women trying to understand their english and hopeless decision making and flying skills = give me an american anyday.

To answer the the original question. Education is never wasted. Uni regardless of the course develops personal and decision making skills (this beer in the student union or that:ok:). A degree is always good to fall back on in times of aviation downturn=unemployment or the misfortune loosing a medical.

In my experience a degree is nice to have but airlines show little intrest.

ripanrocks
23rd Nov 2009, 02:26
Guys I worked at a company where I was the only one with a degree, flight ops, ground ops, office or directors. UK schools are little if any better than US. Demanding a degree is just lazy filtering, not relevant. However it does seem to be the case unfortunately that the US majors do demand this. Screw them - go and fly in GA, it's much more fun.

What is GA ?
Although I agree to the fact, that college degree requirement is lazy filtering & definitely demands much more than piloting skills, but I think in a way its good for us too, because if somehow someone meet up with a severe accident & say loses his leg or whatever, then his aviation career is gone & if he has no degrees other than his licenses,etc then hes life comes to a dead stop.:(
I offended this college degree idea initially but now I agree to this fully,especially when the market is in such horrifying condition.:ok:

12Watt Tim
23rd Nov 2009, 10:04
Yes, but you can complete a degree with only one leg!

GA is general aviation, the small aircraft that don't fly scheduled services.

Halfwayback
23rd Nov 2009, 10:08
This thread was answered in the first couple of posts.

There is little to merit letting it run further as it degenerates further. We already have the snide comments coming in - therefore it is locked.

HWB