PDA

View Full Version : BA New Club World

10swiftb
20th Nov 2009, 17:38
I have just booked a trip, which involves flying LHR-ORD and then back to LHR, next April 2010. Flew SFO with VS last year, and will always from now on try and fly BA whenever poss. Anyway, flying Club World on the return and was wondering if the New Club World will be fitted on the Boeing 777 jet operating flight BA0296, departing at 19:50. Have read BA website and Chicago isn't an mentioned route but then it says all 777s will be fitted next year. Let me know if you know anything on New Club World, and boeing 777s and if it shall be fitted for the Chicago sector next April (10).

towser
21st Nov 2009, 09:23
I could be wrong but I think all LHR 777's have been upgraded. If not then they should have been by next April.

Seat62K
21st Nov 2009, 09:32
Although all 777s operating out of LHR should be New Club World, and should have been for some time, this isn't always the case.

This summer, for example, on at least one occasion (and perhaps more frequently than this) BA was using a three-class 777 with the "old" CW on the Hong Kong route. (These have a better choice of "good" CW seats than the four-class 777, in my view.)

Keepitsimplestupid
21st Nov 2009, 10:41
One of the problems with the old CW cabin is that it does not feature the newer Audio Visual on Demand (AVOD) system. I found this irritating on a flight to Atlanta from LHR back in May, If you missed the start of a film you had to wait for it to cycle again, much smaller screen too!.

martin102
21st Nov 2009, 11:11
Flew back from Mauritius at the end of September into LHR - it had the old style club class. Flight on the way out was new style.

Momo
22nd Nov 2009, 12:09
Flew to Las Vegas from LHR last Monday and back Thursday night. Old CW cabin both ways on the 777. No First Class.

londonclubguy
24th Nov 2009, 08:34
I've flown Washington and New York recently and both have been new clubworld, but no AVOD. Both were on 777s from LHR, but crew told me they were older planes that can't support AVOD so had the old loop system.

GANNET FAN
24th Nov 2009, 08:55
I'm flying to Denver late January and was told that the New Club World on the 777 will not be installed!

raffele
24th Nov 2009, 11:13
There are number of 777's powered by (I think) GE engines rather than the Rollers which don't supply the power necessary to power the AVOD system.

All Ahead Full
24th Nov 2009, 22:48
true, came back from Dubai last month, and new seats, but old entertainment system....

apaddyinuk
29th Nov 2009, 13:28
There are a number of 777's which we affectionately refer to as the GMIS aircraft. They are GE powered aircraft and the regs are in the ZZZ or VII range.
These aircraft are early delivery 777s and arrived into the fleet with what is called the GMIS entertainment system. Noticable onboard by the removable handset/phone with the red buttons on the back and smaller screens in WT. Unfortunately this company went out of business and never developed an upgrade system which would have allowed BA turn it into an AVOD system unlike the Rockwell Collins on the rest of the fleet. As a result BA will be hanging on to this system for a few more years until the Thales system is introduced at which time it is intended to gut out the current GMIS aircraft and replace the entire IFE with the new Thales system which is the same as the one being installed on the A380 and B787 fleet!