PDA

View Full Version : CAA Major Mod - Ferry Tank

Katamarino
20th Nov 2009, 21:23
Hi all,

We're trying to fit a rather large ferry tank to a C182Q. This exact thing is done all the time in the US, and has been for the last 40+ years. It costs a few thousand bucks.

The few quotes we've been able to get from UK engineering companies are in the region of £25,000. A mere 10+ times the US cost; I know flying is different here and there, but that really just takes the p***.

Does anyone know of a way of getting our pathetic aviation authority into the 21st century with regard to something like this - or a less bone-headed European country who could do the work?

If not, we'll stick it on the N-Reg, and the cash-grabbing CAA will get precisely nothing.

Duchess_Driver
20th Nov 2009, 21:44
Katamarino,

Can I ask for what purpose you're tanking?

If your going to take it back to the US from Euroland then an FAA mod and paperwork will, as you say, cost significantly less than 25K - in that case even with your import duty to the US you'll still save money.

Option 2 - don't tank. Wick-Vagar-Iceland, East Coast Greenland, West Coast Greenland, Frobisher/Blue Spruce route - Job Jobbed.

Katamarino
20th Nov 2009, 21:58
Sheffield to Sheffield, via Singapore, Australia, and California. The Atlantic is less of an issue than the Pacific...(but if you can suggest a non-tanking route...!)

21st Nov 2009, 02:06
I would assume if the aircraft is going westbound there are two ways, N reg it first and take advantage of the fact it has been done before and use the STC's or the other option is to crate it over by boat.

I do stand to take critisism as I've been out of the loop for 8 years now in the industry.

It depends what tanks it has fitted, I cannot recollect if the 182 can with "long" tank installation as an option, either USA or Reims variants.

Duchess Driver has provided a sensible route there, however who who want to to an aircraft with no de-ice capaility at any point let alone across the pond at this time of year? Sense would say unscrew her and crate her over.

Pilot DAR
21st Nov 2009, 03:05
Katamarino,

I have experience with this, and perhaps can be of help. I do these types of approvals on Canadian registered aircraft, but might have some insights which would be of use to you with the CAA. I also know of two unused 65 gallon tanks which are looking for a new home. I recently made the restraint system for them, but now it's too late in the season to use them. PM me if you wish...

Pilot DAR

Katamarino
21st Nov 2009, 07:57
421 - thanks for the comments. However, the flight will not be made at this time of year, it'll be summer when we hit the Atlantic. Pilot DAR, thankyou, I shall PM you when I get back from the airport!

sycamore
21st Nov 2009, 11:22
Kat, you may wish to look at the Catalina ferry to Oz,in `history /nostalgia`,ref fuel in Far East..

Granite City Flyer
21st Nov 2009, 12:12
If you can manage with just another 24USG then Flint Aero do tip tank kits.

Flint Aero - Cessna Wing Tip Auxiliary Fuel Tanks (http://www.flintaero.com/)

They are EASA stc'd for 182Q and its a permanent install + doesn't eat into your cabin space.