PDA

View Full Version : RAF Merlins to go to the RN??

Mil Bill
20th Nov 2009, 13:58
I don't know if this is covered anywhere else, but I have heard along a reliable grape-vine that the RN will be taking over all RAF Merlin a/c. Anyone else in the know?

dmanton300
20th Nov 2009, 14:23
With an additional 20 (or 30 depending on source - one can only hope!) Wokka for crab-air is the rumour I hear. Mind you, I'd call 30 additional (CH-47F?) for the RAF nothing more than a a reasonable start.

Faithless
20th Nov 2009, 14:25
Mil Bill I've also heard that as well, as a replacement for the Junglie.

Hilife
20th Nov 2009, 14:30
Finger on the pulse I see Bill. :ok:

This rumour has been discussed in the following thread - http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/395346-brown-looks-1bn-helicopter-order.html

Having been made to take Flynx against their wishes, I suspect this is the AAC's way of getting their own back on the Dark Blues. ;)

vecvechookattack
20th Nov 2009, 17:30
How is this "Getting their own back". The RN will be delighted to receive these additional aircraft....A few of my oppos on 848 have started looking at course dates and are planning stuff around their training.....Can't wait for the Merlin conversion...

Not_a_boffin
20th Nov 2009, 18:16
Is that the conversion that will actually allow them to go aboard ship?

althenick
20th Nov 2009, 18:26
I suppose this makes sense since the RN will already have a cadre of air and ground crew who are already knowledgeable on the aircraft. However is this variant cleared for going to sea? That is, Will it be able to fit into the Hanger have folding blades/ tail rotor etc or are there mods on the horizon?

Evalu8ter
20th Nov 2009, 18:30
Vec - I believe the rumour is that the Merlin is to replace the SK4 in toto; probably a cut in total airframes and certainly not "additional aircraft".

HiLife is probably referring to the CHF's desire for Marinised CH47, CH53K or V-22 rather than Merlin - however, with money as it is, this is probably the best "real world" solution for CHF. As usual the boys will make it work - though giving up the 50K maps might prove traumatic!

Still just a rumour though, and one I'd imagine AW will be keen to contest.

Triple Matched TQ
20th Nov 2009, 19:34
It will be a doddle converting a mixed fleet (3 and 3a) into a folding fleet and then through mid life update.

What another good stitch by the RAF.

vecvechookattack
20th Nov 2009, 19:42
You are right...It makes perfect sense.... It is faster, stronger, carries more and of course is about 25 years younger than the Sea Kings. Once the Marinisation has taken place... Folding head and Tail (Does the Green Merlin have Flotbags) the it will be welcome at Yeovilton....There are plans in place to move the Merlin Sim from Benson and put it into the space next to the Lynx Sim. The Belvedere office are working hard on the infrastructure of moving the aircraft's maintenance training facility into the space behind CHF.... Everything is in place or will be very soon..... When is the first one due to arrive..?

Triple Matched TQ
20th Nov 2009, 19:47
I presume the folding head cost /tail will be minimal. Surely moving it all to the South West will be more cost effective. All sims co located etc (as is the maintenance).

Will the Army finally take over what the RAF Merlins were up to?

Finnpog
20th Nov 2009, 19:54
As there already is a marinised troop lift Merlin in sevice with the Italian Navy as the EH-101 Amphibious Suppot Helicopter - it is clearly doable...I wonder what the cost as a refit rather than as a new build.

TheWizard
20th Nov 2009, 19:55

With what exactly?:hmm:

Triple Matched TQ
20th Nov 2009, 19:57
Well I presume the RAF cannot afford anything as marinising the Merlins will take all the money?

Melchett01
20th Nov 2009, 19:57

Only in their dreams! ;)

As for the sims, how will that work with moving the Merlin sim down to the beach? I'm not saying that it isn't the most efficient option - otherwise have a cab on standby as a permanent taxi to ferry crews up to Benson. But how would you go about de-integrating - if that is a word - the Merlin sim from the sim building at Benson where it forms a major part of the set up along with the other frames.

What does the Navy do at the moment for Merlin sims - could that not be modified / added to?

Triple Matched TQ
20th Nov 2009, 20:00
I suppose there will be one airframe less as the RAF parked one sideways!

Glad everyone was OK

TheWizard
20th Nov 2009, 20:03
TMT,
Have a little look through here
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/395346-brown-looks-1bn-helicopter-order.html

You might even answer some of your own questions!

Melchett01
20th Nov 2009, 20:05
I can't see the cost of marinising the cabs falling to the RAF. If the Navy want the cabs, they should be paying for any mods needed. Afterall, they would be getting them dirt cheap in comparison with their book price, so I think they should be able to afford to sort them out. Incidentally, if you were to put a Merlin on ebay, what is the going rate for a cab, FSH, one fairly careful owner ....

Failing that, flog one of the new carriers to raise a bit of dosh :}

Triple Matched TQ
20th Nov 2009, 20:07
Do the RN want the aircraft or the RAF want shot of them?

TheWizard
20th Nov 2009, 20:11
"Dear Sir Stephen......"

Evalu8ter
21st Nov 2009, 07:05
The money to marinise the Merlin (should it happen) is not RAF or Navy money per se, it is Cap ALM money to spend - as is any money required for any future Chinooks. The running costs would be met by Fleet or Army RP (can't remember which one funds CHF). The Merlin fleet is due to enter a CSP/LEP programme in the next few years anyway - this move would likely just broaden the scope of that work.

I think, quietly, the RAF would be quite pleased to pass its' Merlin to the RN. The WAFUs can then be wholly in receipt of AW's legendary "after sales service", and it would give the posters more flexibility in moving people around.

The RAF 3/3a does not fold (blade or tail). They were both traded out at an early stage to save money and to claw back some performance. Any CHF cab will need an appreciable performance uplift (engines/transmission) to "buy back" the weight increase of marinisation.

The Sims at Benson are, I believe, modular - thus the Merlin sim bases would probably stay in place with the cockpits replaced by extra CH47/FMH(??) with the merlin cockpits re-cycled onto new bases at Yeovs or Culdrose (assuming CAE are contracted to do the job). Would be a good idea to run a big broadband link between the sims so that the CHF could join in with the Benson sims for collective training.

Not_a_boffin
21st Nov 2009, 09:29
Evalu8ter has it spot on. As an example of the weight-save measures, pretty much all the tie down points have been removed from 3/3A. If folk are getting to that level for performance increase, you just know the GB / engine combo won't hack it.

Fitbin
21st Nov 2009, 20:43
And in answer to Vecvechookattack's question, yes, the green variety does have the plumbing for the flot gear fitted, just needs the bags.

TheWizard
21st Nov 2009, 20:58
Which it does.:ok: