PDA

View Full Version : Who is taking care of Air NZ Link Recruitment anway??

custardchucker
18th Nov 2009, 23:21
Word on the street is that the three link carriers have relinquished their individual right to hire and it has been handed to big brother.

Any word?

Looks like staff.cv no longer has the operators online - could be a big push through in the next 12 months with the new A/C turning up

Sqwark2000
19th Nov 2009, 03:30
There has been "talk" of a single integrated Air NZ interview for years, and was even recommended in a paper presented to AirNZ's EXCOM as recently as 18months ago (before the recession and when Link candidates where drying up)

I'm not in the recruiting stable but I understand that whilst there maybe advantages to a single recruiting process, the likes of Mt. Cook would still like to retain an input so the less than desirable candidate's are politely ushered somewhere else.

And the rumour mill at work is usually "hot off the press" and nothings been mentioned at all, not even that the idea that it's even being seriously considered....

Mt. Cook never really utilised the staffCV site that much. They still prefer the paper based CV and face-to-face introductions prior to interviewing.

And don't get your hopes up for a "big push" when new aircraft arrive either.... the B773's will replace the B744 1 for 1, as will the B733 transition to the A320, so existing crew will cross train as required... and when things do pick up there's over a dozen guys on LWOP to come back (if at all) and there must be at least 40-50 guys on "yes" letters already, it'll take a while to take up the slack before they look to interview newbies again.

S2K

Iron Hide
24th Nov 2009, 09:11
I do agree that there is increasing rumours around some of the crew rooms that the recruitement process 'for the moment' is out of the Links hands and that Big Brother is taking over. Some of the rumours appear to come from management aswell, so it'll be interesting to see what pans out as things settle down.

While we're on that topic, of rumours, some other Air NZ stories floating around....

- 747's to operate both ways to London for US and UK summer next year
- Next year expected to be a big one for recruitement, with Eagle and Air NSN management told to brace
- Not much expected next year because of excess crew and people of LWOP coming back, plus new fleet efficiencies
- Heaps of retirements in the next couple of years
- A320 domestic and international fleets to be 'seperate fleets' with different pay scales to aid with the roll over ie: if current 320 crew are required for domestic it would screw the communting lifestyles of some, and junior 73 drivers of both ranks losing domestic gigs because of seniority so having to go long haul.

Anyway, lots of stories doing the rounds. It'll be interesting to see which happen and which don't.

waren9
24th Nov 2009, 13:17
Different payscales for the A320 fleet(s)?

Cant see it.

That would mean loss of efficiencies with 2 seperate rosters, standby coverage, leave coverage, domestic crew unable to cover for Tasman work and so it goes on. It would also be hard to justify legally too, I would imagine should ALPA decide to challenge it. The efficiencies gained by having one pilot group for the fleet would more than outweigh the difference in A320 vs 737 payscales, I would have thought.

Still, lets wait and see, shall we?

belowMDA
24th Nov 2009, 18:34
Waren9 the different pay scales would be very easy to justify legally when you know how the current A320 scale was arrived at. That said, I don't think the company are wanting to have it separate anyway.

blah blah blah
25th Nov 2009, 01:09
- Next year expected to be a big one for recruitement, with Eagle and Air NSN management told to brace
- Not much expected next year because of excess crew and people of LWOP coming back, plus new fleet efficiencies

Go on then, which one is it!

My guess is the latter.

mattyj
25th Nov 2009, 05:17
..how about:
a potentially big year in recruiting spoiled by the new ETS which will burn New Zealanders discretionary travel money and cause massive drops in load factors in the provinces..
..followed by:
a surge in passenger numbers for longhaul as New Zealanders leave in their droves for greener pastures :uhoh:

troppo
25th Nov 2009, 05:28
haha good call matty :ok:

DeltaT
25th Nov 2009, 18:16
More power to the married couple running mainline pilot recruitment is it? :ugh:

craka
18th Oct 2010, 03:48
OK so here we are a year on and nothing has happened.............. Air NZ starting a new recruitment drive again or is it all BS

CKA:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sqwark2000
18th Oct 2010, 06:40
Not entirely BS....

Eagle hiring pretty steady at the moment as crews can't be arsed waiting anymore and head for Pac bro and One star.

Nelson has been doing a bit, but not like the level of Eagle.

Mt. Cook.... zip, none, zilch, sweet fa.

Air NZ, nothing to report, except 2 B744's to be retained now instead of retired when the B773 arrives. Also rumours of maybe another frame required to increase capacity. So maybe something on the horizon as the 1 for 1 swap plan is modified.

Cheers

S2k

craka
27th Mar 2011, 01:59
Here we are again another year on and not much changed?

Are they hiring or not

Any clues

Water Wings
27th Mar 2011, 02:59
Individual recruitment for the Link carriers has ceased. All interviews will now be conducted under the 'Recruit to group' format. Things are still a bit fluid at the moment but the first RTG interview has just happened or will be happening in the very near future with successful candidates going to Air Nelson (this time at least) with the interview board consitsting of someone from each of Eagle, Nelson, Cook and mainline (probably a pilot and HR staff member from big brother).

Where one sends there CV's now is still an unanswered question which will probably be cleared up soon but in the meantime I guess sending a C.V. by traditional means to each of the carriers will see it thrown in the pool (I would expect this to be streamlined in the very near future).

custardchucker
27th Mar 2011, 04:27
Slight thread drift but what about the Air NZ yes letters that are out there?

glekichi
27th Mar 2011, 10:01
When did that happen Water Wings?
I know a couple have been hired by Mt Cook already this year.

ZKSUJ
27th Mar 2011, 10:35
I've recently recieved an update form from Air NS due in July. So hopefully when submitted, it won't be thrown out and will be kept in the Air NS system. Unless they will throw it into the group pool from their database

Water Wings
27th Mar 2011, 11:21
When did that happen Water Wings?
I know a couple have been hired by Mt Cook already this year.

Chances are I know them too. I don't believe anyone has started at Cook this year but a number were given 'yes letters.'

The three link carriers have all been busy building up their respective holding pools, it is only from now onwards that Recruit to group is starting.

Sqwark2000
27th Mar 2011, 18:54
From what I've heard, a group from the airnz yes letter group, approx 20 of them, were recently contacted/ reinterviewed and there was 2 new hire 777 courses planned for may/June or June /July. That was before the feb earthquake and Japan earthquake/tsunami... Word is those courses will or have been scrapped.

Mt Cook did an interview group in Jan/ feb and approx 8 were added to the hold pool pending starts. There was talk of a new hire starting in April but again recent events appear to have stalled that.

Also plans to add 2 ATR's to the fleet early 2012 have gone quiet while the chch based company recovers from the Earthquake.

glekichi
27th Mar 2011, 20:09
Yeah I did mean they had 'yes' letters rather than had actually started.
Does any one know if the hire pool will allow people to decline an offer from one subsidiary and remain in the 'pool' waiting for their airline of choice?

Bongo Bus Driver
28th Mar 2011, 06:59
What about the Air NZ Academy? Word is there is an announcement due out soon with details. Any insider info out there?

Hanz Blix
28th Mar 2011, 07:29
What about the Air NZ Academy? Word is there is an announcement due out soon with details. Any insider info out there?

Doubt this will happen until a GOP number is instigated for the Regional carriers.

Got the horn
28th Mar 2011, 08:01
Found this last week. Air NZ School of Flight (http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/index.php/school-of-flight/) . Apparently April for announcement of Flight Training providers.

Inverted Flat Spin
29th Mar 2011, 05:33
First Officer Programme (http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/index.php/school-of-flight/first-officer-programme/)

5 training providers apparently

Time to start guessing who!!!

CTC? Canterbury Aero Club?

glekichi
30th Mar 2011, 06:32
CTC?

This appears to be in direct competition with CTC in training foreign cadets for foreign airlines. Nothing about training cadets for Air New Zealand.

ZK-DIG
3rd Jun 2011, 20:50
I have been told that with the new recruit to group that you are going to need UE to even get an interview? Is this true? If so i may have just wasted all the money spent on getting through all my training. I left school before sitting school c 16 years ago, have managed companies and now am sitting my C-Cat to have the CFI say the other day that with out UE you wont even get a look in when it comes to airline job. Can any one shed some light on this for me please..:ugh::ugh:

mattyj
3rd Jun 2011, 21:29
CFIs an idiot..must be a million years old..theres some sort of NCEA level to get into Uni these days and before that there was Bursary. UE is something cavemen carved into rock. And don't stress about higher qualifications anyway..a NZ degree isn't even worth getting framed these days..take it into any firm and it will buy you a one way ticket to the mailroom:*

ZK-DIG
3rd Jun 2011, 21:42
So with that in mind, i should just keep going and once get enough hours apply to an airline any way? Seems alot of people are jumping on the you wont even get an interview band wagon.

27/09
3rd Jun 2011, 23:56
Haven't heard anything about the need for higher qualifications. They might help but not sure they're an absolute requirement.

So far as I know the "good bar***rd" check is still quite important though.

remoak
4th Jun 2011, 02:05
They probably mean generic UE, ie whatever the modern NCEA requirement is to go to university. Seems to change depending what course you want to do... far easier back in my day, you either had UE or you didn't (and Bursary had nothing to do with UE, it was simply the financial boost the government gave you to go to university. Yes, they used to pay you to go... now we have student loans. Such is progress.)

Anyway, whatever they mean, it's stupid. CPL/ATPL exams should be an equivalent.

It's all part of the modern way of using HR departments to do what managers used to do. HR departments can only justify their existence by dreaming up more and more obstacles to employment. Once again... progress.

ZK-NSN
5th Jun 2011, 05:38
CPL/ATPL exams should be an equivalent Should be, it is at most other airlines...but not at ANZ.

DIG - In the same boat. They told to do a uni paper and that would fit their requirement. Oddly enough they didnt specify that it had to be anything aviation related. So I did a extramural paper at massey (and applied to cathay Pacific with my atpl). Just another $750 into the aviation hole. Didnt want to spend it but it wont shift the decimal point on what I have already thrown into that hole.
What really gets me is that CPL/ATPL subjects actually give you quite alot of credits toward a degree yet ANZ still want you to do a paper :ugh:

I guess at the end of the day its their train set / sandpit / BBQ (call it what you want) so they can set the rules but its a big wide world out there full of employers who will take a more practical view of what is important and what is'nt.

remoak
5th Jun 2011, 06:39
Yet another reason to bypass the parochial backwater that is NZ aviation... go find a real airline!

mattyj
5th Jun 2011, 08:39
Just tell them you did 2 1/2 years of an HR degree until you realised it was a complete and utter waste of time and money...

..you won't get the flying job but you might get invited onto the interviewing panel!

FGC
6th Jun 2011, 17:51
I think it could be a lot worse to be fair. A minimum educational standard of UE is hardly a big ask. Unnecessary yes, but one doesn't need to be a Rhodes Scholar to reach that standard. Look at the U.S. for example, a 4 year degree is basically mandatory for the airlines there.

Doesn't Air Nelson require 6th form passes of grade 4 or better in 4 subjects including physics and maths?

HardCorePawn
6th Jun 2011, 23:06
5 training providers apparently

The FAQ's page for the FO Programme (http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/index.php/school-of-flight/first-officer-programme/faq-s/) has the following (slightly edited to keep the post tidy):

Who are the Air New Zealand Aviation Institute's Partner Flight Training Organisations?
AIR HAWKES BAY
INTERNATIONAL AVIATION ACADEMY OF NEW ZEALAND
MASSEY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF AVIATION
NELSON AVIATION COLLEGE
SOUTHERN WINGS

ZK-DIG
7th Jun 2011, 22:46
Yeah it could be wrose FGC, but if some one left school over 16 years ago, and since then has studied and proved them selves in a both the aviation and non aviation area, there should be a little give and take, you spend 100k on getting what should be enough of a requirment and then you are told sorry go away you dropped out of school so your not good enough? some thing not right there.:ugh:

remoak
8th Jun 2011, 04:32
Maybe your spelling and grammar are a clue... sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

ZK-DIG
8th Jun 2011, 08:31
Remoak, I agree i can not spell and can not put grammar in the correct places but since when did that mean you can not fly an aircraft. I know your only taking the p*** but i couldn't resist.

ZK-DIG
8th Jun 2011, 09:15
Fair comment, Oh well back to the drawing board it is.

remoak
8th Jun 2011, 10:13
I agree i can not spell and can not put grammar in the correct places but since when did that mean you can not fly an aircraft.

Absolutely.

The problem is that employers these days want to see evidence of an education and some ability in the "3 Rs". Just being a good handler isn't enough for any decent employer.

I remember, back in the '80s, British Airways required Direct Entry pilot candidates to write a five page essay on ways in which BA could improve it's business.

No such thing as too many qualifications in the airlines... well apart from the small ones, where an ability to bend the rules and turn a blind eye is more important... ;)

And there's always Indo or PNG...

FGC
8th Jun 2011, 15:08
DIG, I can just imagine the first question the interview panel will ask. 'So Dig, why did you leave school at 15 with no qualifications?'

It doesn't look too flash, and would definitely raise a few eyebrows. Got a good answer?

But if they only require one completed uni paper in lieu of UE to be eligible, as ZK-NSN mentioned, then it's not such a drama, and easily achievable.

Farm Management 101 :ok:

outboundjetsetter
9th Jun 2011, 06:16
DIG, you could quote so many of the worlds brightest and most influential people who have 'dropped out of school' only to become very successful. Don't let people tell you too much of what you have to do to become 'employable' . Who's to say where you will be, what you will be flying, and even what airlines will be operating in NZ or elsewhere a few years from now.Aviation often surprises!. Maybe you'll be your own boss?.If you can at least do a C-Cat you must have some intellectual ability.. I'd heard so many stories in "graduating NZ" on how you must have "x" amount of hours to fly a twin for insurance purposes.. , or a C-Cat to become more employable..( from casual to part-time?-WTF) etc etc ( endless ), just aim for a company that values you for your qualifications, not only something which is beneficial to them.I can see hard times ahead..in Australasia.. you only need to look in auzzi, "auzztronaute jobs" to see most of them require a check and training,( TRI/TRE) or CFI experience yet the space shuttle is being retired!.Asia and the Middle East beckon, and will continue to take on more people from this part of the world.Just as ANZ take people from outside of link when it suits them to control and keep their turn over/ intake, you should look after yourself- e.g if you could get on a A320 somewhere with your current qualifications and are happy living somewhere else/ or commuting for a while then i'd go for that. Supply and demand..

Outbound.

ZK-DIG
10th Jun 2011, 20:25
FGC, I do have an answer for that question, but weather it's a good one or not remains to be seen. I left school at 15 after my father died when i was 12. I was in all the top sports teams and lived every day for sport. Near the end of 5th form one of my teachers said what are you going to be when you leave, at the time i wanted to be a P.E teacher. The first thing the teacher said was you will never do it. So instead of getting angry i got soft and said well guess you are right so left. I moved away from home and worked on a farm for a number of years. After leaving the farm i managed a Auto Electrical company with 5 stuff under me. I did all the day to day management stuff and learn't some great skills. Since then i have completed my flying licenses and as of two days ago i completed my C-Cat and passed with "flying colours" pardon the pun. So that's the answer, as i say it may not be a good one but is indeed an answer.
Outbound, I have read what you have said and that is a fine bit of advise. I will be using all this information to get to where i want to get no matter what any one says.

troppo
10th Jun 2011, 20:58
Thank fork you didn't tell them you wanted to be an English teacher.

ZK-DIG
10th Jun 2011, 22:48
Very true. Very very true.:ok:

remoak
11th Jun 2011, 01:02
Agree with Outbound. When I was in your position, I upped sticks and went to the UK. At the time, all you needed to get a turboprop job was a licence and a pulse. Some guys were getting jet slots with as little as 500 hours. And we are talking real jets, 757s etc.

It's highly likely that those days will return, as demand for pilots is forecast to go through the roof and that will inevitably affect NZ airlines as people head offshore for better gigs.

Why not just do an easy course at a Polytech that gives you UE, most of the kids that come out of those places carn't spel two sayve theree lyves soe it carn't bee thit harde... ;)