PDA

View Full Version : Ag Flying

j3pipercub
18th Nov 2009, 05:35
Hi All and apologies in advance if I am not using the search function properly, I just couldn't find much.

I am at a sort of crossroads with my flying, in as much as do I take a step toward the airlines or in another direction.

I was hoping anyone with insight into the ag industry could give me a run-down on it. I was hoping for:

How hard is it to get into?
How long would I be driving the loader for?
Do you enjoy it?
Your general impression of it and why do you love / hate it?

I have a vague idea about the industry from an old boss, but was looking for a few more views and opinions.

I have a fair bit of time up, with about 1000 turbine command, but no low level stuff. I fully understand and am comfortable with the fact that the transition may involve very little flying at the beginning, as I will again be shark sh1t

Thanks

j3

boltz
18th Nov 2009, 07:13
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/379606-agricultural-flying-industry.html

The following has been copied from another website.

The AG game in Australia is very quiet at the moment. There is no rice industry left, cotton is about 15% of what it used to be. I just spent three weeks out west in wheat country and didn't see one Aircraft working, saw lots of ground rigs though. There doesn't seem to be the consistant year round work there used to be. It has always come good in the past but the quiet spells are getting more and longer. When things do get busy some use overseas pilots to fill the void. That would be OK if all's fair in love and AG flying but it's not. It's nearly impossible now for an Australian pilot to get work in US or Canada, there have been all sorts of barriers put up yet US or Canadians can work here no problems. It's a bit like the world agricultural market, government subside's, "Export enhancement scheme's" and the like, level playing field my arse.

Having been that negative there are some positives. IF your mad keen and put every effort (And your suited to the job) you will get there eventually. If you get a job loading you will see what's involved. Get any flying you can, tailwheel will help. There are a lot of 50+ year old AG pilots who will be getting out of the game in the next ten or fifteen years.

If I had to give advice I'd say get a job in any other flying game other than AG, it's not a reliable secure job in this country. Since I started flying AG it's been either boom or bust. You either have no work and have trouble paying bills or there's six messages waiting after you get home from a long day flying (making heaps of dollars and paying more in tax) four messages wanting their job done in the morning and the other two offering you a job. There never seems to be any middle ground.

If your mad about AG flying you won't let this negativity put you off, I still enjoy the flying.

777WakeTurbz
18th Nov 2009, 07:23
The AG game in Australia is very quiet at the moment

Not exactly what i heard last night, one company in particular is short on pilots, especially coming up to fire season as they use some of their Air Tractors for fire bombing as well.
$15 - 20k cost was mentioned, I assume that is for Ag rating and endo on types required but not positive. I didnt hear about how long driving the loader etc before getting in the cockpit either.
We are having plantations sprayed and the topic came up in conversation.

The Green Goblin
18th Nov 2009, 08:10
With your time on the Van J3 i'd be looking at Floats :ok:

Boobs 'n bathers is where it's at!

j3pipercub
18th Nov 2009, 09:08
Thanks for the help boltz.

777, Thanks also.

GG, yeah, but along with the babes, there's a huge amount of bogans...

j3

Super Cecil
10th Jan 2010, 04:03
777Wakemaker wroteNot exactly what i heard last night, one company in particular is short on pilots, especially coming up to fire season as they use some of their Air Tractors for fire bombing as well.
$15 - 20k cost was mentioned, I assume that is for Ag rating and endo on types required but not positive. I didnt hear about how long driving the loader etc before getting in the cockpit either.
We are having plantations sprayed and the topic came up in conversation.

That's the first I've heard of pilots wanted, I'm sure a few would be interested if you posted on this site those looking for said pilots?

Getting a rating is a prerequisite but the days of employing anybody with a fresh commercial and AG rating are gone. There are more and more turbines round and less entry level machinery like Pawnees and Agwagons.

Yes there is fire work, for three or four months of the year. Where in Australia is there any consistant AG work being done? There might be a rush in northern NSW and southern QLD coming up with pre emergence work but that's been a long time coming and will be gone in a month or two.
The olden days of somebody being employed in one company and never spending a night away are long gone. I'm afraid like the rest of GA the AG side has seen it's best days.