PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Experiences in Aviation

777WakeTurbz
18th Nov 2009, 03:05
Hey fellow pruners, I thought I would bring up a light thread where people can share their favourite experiences in the air, close calls, moments that have made you proud of what you have achieved in the industry or basically anything you would like to share from your Aviation experiences. :ok:

The Green Goblin
18th Nov 2009, 03:08
Wireless internet and Iphones allowing PPrune in the cockpit!

:ok:

777WakeTurbz
18th Nov 2009, 03:16
Wireless internet and Iphones allowing PPrune in the cockpit!

I imagine that would be the worst memory for those guys who overshot their Destination in the states... :eek: :}

SM227
18th Nov 2009, 03:49
Call me strange, but some of my most memorable flights are those early morning scud running flights where its still overcast, with scatted showers around. Its nice and cool, its a little bit of a challenge to get to the destination, flying down low and enjoying the scenery up close, and then the clouds light up with that amazing orange glow as the sun rises. Just magic conditions! :}

777WakeTurbz
18th Nov 2009, 03:55
I have been lucky enough never to have an engine failure, although I have had to return after engines have started surging etc. But one of my most memorable moments was an IFR flight departing at night in weather on the outer fringes of a cyclone for a 1.7hr ferry flight in a PA31. So rain showers, cloud from 1000'AGL to well over 10000' solid and moderate turbulence with some nastier stuff in between.

Shorlty after departure, running through my checklists and making the required calls on CTAF and to ATC , I found that the HSI was not rotating anymore and the a/c was still maintaining a turn towards the a/p heading bug. A quick scan confirmed that my HSI had failed though still had power and would not function in either slaved or unslaved mode. I disconnected the a/p and began troubleshooting on climb to planned 9000'.
While it would slave occasionally, it would not stay slaved and the a/p would begin a gradual turn in whichever direction the bug was, and with the turbulence it would only ever end up flying further off track.

In the end I had to hand fly the a/c, at night in IMC, in nasty turbulence off my compass, seeing as the copilots DG was not in a position for me to be able to include in my scan effectively. The whole time making sure i was scanning constantly and making sure I ignored any physiological illusions a was sensing.
At the other end of my flight, I had to conduct an NDB approach on compass almost to the minima and made a safe arrival in some of the most difficult flying conditions I have had the pleasure of operating in.
Afterwards I felt absolutely drained and slept like a baby after the required couple of beers a bloke needs after a hard days work!

At the time I was rather proud of myself for handling the situation as well as i did and felt that my previous training and experience had resulted in my being able to handle the situation as i did. I think i had somewhere in the area of 1000-1200hours total time and probably 100 command in the PA31.
No doubt one of the experiences that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Also any flight on a clear night, or by day on top of overcast cloud, sunrise, sunset or on stinking hot days watching the CBs head for the Tropopause.

Turbz:ok:

holdmetight
18th Nov 2009, 04:09
first circuit solo :ok:

this only happened about 2 months ago as i only begun training in August. thankfully the solo was uneventful, though the flight was much quieter and the aircraft performed much better without my instructor on board. won't ever forget that day!

Howard Hughes
18th Nov 2009, 04:27
It's hard to make up my mind, you see so many amazing things almost everyday.

Can't wait to hear what Stallie has to say though!:ok:

Bla Bla Bla
18th Nov 2009, 04:29
Taking off at first light and flying over the Okavango Delta watching the sun rise over Africa. Silk smooth air and one of the most beautiful wilderness area's in the world teaming with game in every direction you look.

Brings a tear to my eye.

The Green Goblin
18th Nov 2009, 04:31
The GPS in that Navajo would have helped a tad turbz :ok:

If it were me it would have been a GPS arrival.......

Pity you can do a NDB approach on the compass but when it comes to test time with an ATO you can't with a HSI ay :cool:

I'm **** stirring. I remember flying that same day, lot's of embedded Cells which I unfortunately met first hand over a 9 hour flying day.........:(

greybeard
18th Nov 2009, 04:31
The last arrival into Singapore, final flight after 42 years, had no major incidents, never ran off, over or into anything all that time.

Only made 3 missed approaches due weather in all that time, without cheating I might add, Australia, Europe, Asia.

From C-150 to A-310 via DC-3, F-27, F-28, L-31 and sundry other GA types.

Was great fun, miss it, but DO NOT MISS the Bay of Bengal at 0400 local

Stay Safe out there

Transition Layer
18th Nov 2009, 04:56
(Hopefully this doesn't detract from the otherwise positive vibe of the thread)

Favourite Experiences in Aviation

Sitting at FL350 in a comfortable chair with good blokes, with a nice hot coffee and hearing my old boss from GA, who treated everyone like a c**t, calling up for a taxi clearance in a Chieftain.

R.Cruizo
18th Nov 2009, 06:04
Flying around some of the islands of Pacific and Indian Oceans in a Twin Otter ,with out even a single thought of The Australian aviation industry and it's members.

gutso-blundo
18th Nov 2009, 06:19
Watching the sun set from on top or a layer of cloud... Then descend through it to see the sun set again over the desert. Magic :ok:

PyroTek
18th Nov 2009, 07:04
First circuit solo was fun, doing my pre landing checks in a C152.. pushed the door too hard and the cockpit got windy. As trained, I trimmed the aircraft and then pulled it shut.:ok:

I'm sure there is more to my limited life in aviation.

Alex 009
18th Nov 2009, 07:12
First day flying commercially on floats. Nil wind, glassy water and the most amzing sunset to end the day.

Dangly Bits
18th Nov 2009, 07:18
First Solo of course but also "Airshows in the Outback" It was like a travelling flying circus. Great times. 3 of the most memorable people from it are now no longer with us. Nancy, Pip and Tom.

DB

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Nov 2009, 07:29
2 POB in a C210 at 5280' AGL over the Carnarvons! :E

Dr :8

tail wheel
18th Nov 2009, 07:32
1952: Flying in an Ansett Sunderland.
1962: First flying lesson in a DHC1 Chipmunk.
1962: Flying in a TAA Sunbird Service PBY Catalina.
1970 to 2000: Thirty wonderful years in the GA and regional airline industry.

Howard Hughes
18th Nov 2009, 08:15
Melbourne to London first class, in the 'good old days'!:ok:

Ultralights
18th Nov 2009, 08:42
first solo circuit in SVW, 16 yrs ago, on a perfect summers morning, never forget it.

and most recenty, after being cut off and parked in the runup bay in out little Jabiru LSA, by a stuck up **** in a C172 pushing in front of the cue, clear to take off behind him, only to catch up on the "much faster" Cassna after 3 circuits, and told by ATC to Overtake on early crosswind...

strangely satisfying showing up the GA Spam can drivers (performance wise) when they make every effort to get in front of you so you dont slow them up. :ok:

Also, getting the Tecnam on the deck in 20Kt crosswinds at YHOX, and making an absolute greaser of it rates highly as well.

i.dingbat
18th Nov 2009, 09:10
Flying around a fluffy white cloud watching a halo round my shadow.:ok:

Would have loved tail wheel's experience of flying in both a Sunderland and Catalina though!

Metro man
18th Nov 2009, 09:45
Was great fun, miss it, but DO NOT MISS the Bay of Bengal at 0400 local

Of all the negatives in my job that one is by far the worst. I know exactly what you are talking about. 4.00am, still hours away from home and fighting off sleep.

MyNameIsIs
18th Nov 2009, 10:11
Having a go in a Stearman :ok:
Didn't get to land it but bugger me was it fun.
First time in a taildragger, first time in an open cockpit and first time in a radial. Oh yeah!

clear to land
18th Nov 2009, 10:34
I don't think any sane person could ever miss the Bay of Bengal- or Indian ATC, let alone their HF!!!! :ugh:
On the other hand I have great memories of a couple of 210's chasing each other around the clouds after dropping off the newspapers, Sunsets at altitude where you get the whole ROYGBIV spectrum topped off by a crescent moon, and a pre first light departure from BKT to BRL in a Kiowa and working out the G/S as 160kts- (much less pumping from the drum required)!!!!!! There are many wonderful moments, and no doubt will be many more. Every flight offers a new experience, if its at FLXX or at 50 ft! :ok:

Metro man
18th Nov 2009, 11:20
Watching the sun set, then trying to climb and watch it set again. May have worked in Top Gun, couldn't manage it in a Navajo though.:{

boofta
18th Nov 2009, 18:41
The challenge
Still hard at it, but now doing it for fun.
Occasionally travelling on public transport
seeing the earthbound in their daily struggle.
0400 airborne in anything, nothing beats it.

Zoomy
18th Nov 2009, 19:11
Flying with a student over Bribie Island in QLD. We get down to 500'AGL and witness this bloke absolutely pounding his missus, both starkers about 50 meters in from the beach. Needless to say my student couldn't see, so you guessed it, he hooks it round to have a look, so now orbitting over the top. They didn't budge.:ok: Farking funny.

b_sta
18th Nov 2009, 19:35
Middle of winter on a bright, clear day, orbiting at 1000 AGL over Treble Cone ski field in the NZ southern alps :ok:

VH-XXX
18th Nov 2009, 19:36
Getting that once in a life time phone call from the police, "hey the police chopper is out of action, we need you in your aircraft to help catch an escaped and crazed gunman running in a suburban street with a high powered rifle."

Not the normal phone call to receive at the aeroclub car during beer o'clock on a Sunday arvo.

TinKicker
18th Nov 2009, 20:10
My most memorable (from a few) would be a round-Australia trip in a DC-3 (as crew) and a good bunch in the back, never flying above about 1500 ft agl (due to the constant 10 knot headwind) and seeing parts of this country at various times of the day (and then seeing other parts of it when we got to where we were going). 3 and 1/2 weeks that will never be erased from the memory.....oh and the other good thing.....I got paid to do it!!!

Second was first solo - C-150 VH-KXJ August 1976 and then first solo in a helo - VH-KZR August 2000, (with as a coincidence VH-KXJ (CRJ this time) the only other aircraft in the circut with me....!)

Tinkicker

an3_bolt
18th Nov 2009, 20:45
During high school, in the Christmas holidays - 1 day after 1st solo - chasing my old man around in gliders - he was in a Pilatus and I was trying to chase him in a K13!! (Just short of silver C that day - filled up all my barf bags due airsickness and had to land....:mad:). Never been air sick since...:ok:

j3pipercub
18th Nov 2009, 20:58
ZOOMY,

That is a filthy pervy thing to do. Photos??? :)

TSIO540
18th Nov 2009, 23:10
First PIC flight in a B200 today.... WooHoo!!!! :ok:

Pinky the pilot
18th Nov 2009, 23:44
Tracking from Kerema to Mt Hagen and climbing up through 12,000' in cloud, finally popping up into crystal clear air around 12,300' and seeing Mt Wilhelm to the right of track.

The summit was still over 2,000' above me and even though it was over 60 miles away I felt that I could almost reach out and touch it.

Still remember 18 years later, the chill that ran up my spine when first seeing it.:ooh:

NZFlyingKiwi
19th Nov 2009, 00:46
Only had a couple of years or so in GA so far, but plenty of memorable experiences in that time. Being on short final over a railway line which runs in line with the runway at a strip near Auckland in a Super Cub with a train passing directly underneath (at about the same speed as the Cub too) ranks among the best.

Jazzy78910
19th Nov 2009, 02:53
Sitting at FL350 in a comfortable chair with good blokes, with a nice hot coffee and hearing my old boss from GA, who treated everyone like a c**t, calling up for a taxi clearance in a Chieftain.

ah, that's a great one. :p

boardpig
19th Nov 2009, 02:58
Zooming up the coast from Broome in the 210 at 500, shark/whale spotting then overflying the sand runway at Cape Leveque, joining the downwind out over the crystal clear, blue sea, turn back for an approach in over sunset beach.....great place to go for a bit of camping!

BP.

frigatebird
19th Nov 2009, 04:06
Sitting in the company Boeing, halfway down the back, plenty of room, being served wine by a girl who also crewed on my flights, going back to Fiji after a short break. And as we climbed up between the layers with the setting sun behind and the darkening sky ahead, the sunlight lighting up the ripples in the layer underneath and the underside of the higher layer were all lit in a reddish-golden glow. (about the time of the volcanic eruptions in Indonesia) Gradually the light faded as we sped eastward into the blackness, then later, on top, the sight from the window was stars up and over and moonlight reflecting on the cloudtops below.

startingout
19th Nov 2009, 06:03
500ft clearance northbound past Q1 on sunrise was pretty special. :ok:

eocvictim
19th Nov 2009, 06:10
Finishing my ATPL's and recieving my new license 2 weeks later :D

Getting the tractor wheels on the shrike and grand commander to greese and pull up in 200meters always puts a smile on my face :ok:

777WakeTurbz
19th Nov 2009, 06:23
Flying from the NW of Melbourne shortly after the new NAS was introduced bound for EN via ML, expected "Remain OCTA" but was surprisingly cleared direct before transferred from Radar to Arrivals then ML Tower and ended up being vectored down to 500' directly over the International Terminal before being setup for a final on Rwy17 I believe. :ok:

Figured the controller was bored and wanted to give us a bit of a buzz, HE CERTAINLY SUCCEEDED!! And if he is out there reading this I owe you a lot of beer!! :ok::D

Only problem... No bloody camera! :ugh::mad: :ugh:

tea & bikkies
19th Nov 2009, 07:17
Watching Saab 340s going backwards inflight:ok:

donpizmeov
19th Nov 2009, 08:16
Clear to land,

I take it that the other pilot would be doing the radio work at the moment if you want the call heard :E

Don

Andy_RR
19th Nov 2009, 13:25
- the astonishing climb rate of RWF (C152) on my first solo!

- mega side-slipping G-BBYB over the hedge at Headcorn during my tailwheel endorsement.

- finishing the last rivet on the horizontal stablizer of my RV-8 (12,328 to go...!)

Aerohooligan
19th Nov 2009, 23:05
In my short career thusfar:

-Being sent to Cairns to pick up the company C206 and transport it back to Dar-whine. Got delayed by 24 hours so 'unfortunately' had to catch up with a mate over a few bevvies.

-Dodging some massive thunderies a couple of weeks ago with the 206's strikefinder lit up like christmas in the big city and somehow punching through a wall of red and black radar returns, VFR.

-Flying into Kununurra from the south in the 210, getting smashed by turbulence in the 40 deg heat but loving the awesome views of Lake Argyle and the town itself.

-Flying forthe Funflight Charity one weekend with a senior member of the ADF (a helo pilot no less) as a passenger and having them scream with delight as we cracked a 45 deg turn at 600' over Stokes Hill Wharf (600m horizontally from it of course :ok:)

-Flying RNAV and ILS approaches into Darwin and various other places using the G1000 system with coupled autopilot. Wow.

And most of all, the people, places and things I've seen, met and done through my short time in this incredible industry. Sure, it's tough as hell, but I still catch myself muttering 'I can't believe I get paid to do this' from time to time. No doubt it will have been beaten out of me in a few years time. :}

HarleyD
19th Nov 2009, 23:26
Maybe not my most memorable, but very memorable all the same:

Sitting at 9000 ft or so, smooth as gless in the evening, and having the sun setting exactly under one wing tip whlst at the same moment having the moon rising exactly under the other wing tip, a very special moment that I thought I would never see again, then Bugger me dead, the exact same thing a few years later. one time was northbound and no cloud in FW NSW, the other was southbound and over a magnificent grey/white layer of cloud (can't remember where). almost got a sore neck from looking from one wing tip to the other, the lower edge of the both orbs were both touching the horizon at the same instant. there is no way that a picture could ever capture the moment in time, you just had to be there. I was solo both times, this even made it more special.

Lots of other special moments, especially in South America and Asia, but nothing like the special little instant of perfect symmetry that these two events provided.

HD

jcorney
20th Nov 2009, 01:15
as a new pilot (post GFPT, pre PPL) it was yesterday on my first ever flight out at the coast. Heading north from Moruya to Wollongong watching the surf hitting the beaches was fantastic.

RR RB211
20th Nov 2009, 02:02
Great thread

My few in no particular order:
First solo (why does the instructor want me to stop over there for, what? really?)
CPL Test Pass
IFR Test Pass
Final ATPL subject pass
First Charter in a beautiful 210 (remember to put the gear down, remember to put the gear down, remember to put the gear down)
Dodging thunderstorms, Gove to Darwin at night in a Lance
Sunrise over Kakadu plus numerous other NT experiences with great mates
Airline phone call
Checked to line (yeah it did happen, so there you detractor from the past)

And today coming into Brisbane from the north for runway 32, at 3000 feet for a while just above the cloud at 220 knots - magic carpet ride. :)

Cloud Basher
21st Nov 2009, 22:19
Having the honour of flying Nancy Bird Walton from Bankstown to the Nowra Airshow and back. Absolutely awesome!

Cheers
CB

redsnail
21st Nov 2009, 23:00
Seeing a fantastic moonrise departing Sydney northbound in a Dash 8.

Flying to Kununurra from Alice Springs in a Partmafia with no pax. Great flight. KFC was the catering. :ok:

Nailing a XW (+18kt) landing at London City. (18 kt doesn't sound like much but it's reasonable at City)

Landing at London Heathrow.

First landing at Moscow (any one of them). Now dread the place.

Any arrival into Samedan (LSZS) or Sion (LSGS) in winter. Simply glorious. :ok:

compressor stall
21st Nov 2009, 23:06
Everytime I cross the coast after flying 10-11 hours over the southern ocean....:ok:

Gundog01
21st Nov 2009, 23:15
500kts below cliff top around the great australian bight.

the wizard of auz
22nd Nov 2009, 05:49
Far to many to mention all of them, but some of the memorable ones would be
Ferrying a C172 from YPJT to Manila (Philippines)
Ferrying a C172 from YPJT to Goroka (PNG)
First Turbine (C208)
First solo in a Helicopter.
being sent out Solo in a R22 to do confined area landings and take offs.
My first flight in my first owned aircraft after restoring her to flying condition after many years of being parked up.
Doing my first Darwin to YLEO entirely in the dark.
Taking a foreign Air force general for a lap in a C172 as a trade for a crawl over anything in his compound, then him being that thrilled he took me out to dinner at the swankiest place I have ever been in a third world country.
Landing a small GA aircraft at the main international airport in Manila with a 747 landing in front of me and a 767 directly behind and a couple of other heavies stacked on the approach behind him.

Oh, it just goes on. For the ****ty remuneration we get for doing the job, it sure can be fun at times and almost worth it. :ok:

Ian Bryce
22nd Nov 2009, 22:37
2 weeks ago, (as pax), Katmandu to Lhasa (Tibet), had great views of Everest and Lotse.

The Lhasa strip is 4000 m long - for a reason. It is at 12,000 ft, where the air density is 68% of sea level. Lungs, aircraft engines and wings all suffer.
On departure I thought our A319 would never get airborne and was taxiing to Chengdu. The takeoff roll took 55 seconds! Usually 35-40 sec. I imagined the copilot saying "V1....wait for it... V2...wait for it...wait for it... ROTATE!"

If the strip was rotated to the vertical, it would just reach sea level.

With thin air and rare cloud, solar energy is reliable - each house has a solar kettle, while half the ploughs are still pulled by yaks.

plainmaker
22nd Nov 2009, 23:04
Short Solent journey as a (nearly) 5 year old and a very young gentleman by the name of Kilgour (IIRC) showing me the flight deck.

Wandering at 1000' AGL in a DC-3 in the LH seat, complete with open window over the hills of Georgia.

Guest of Boeing in their 247 for an hour over Seattle with one of the most senior tech crews imaginable - followed later by a nose turret landing in the B-17.

Jump seat in Concorde for a Heathrow departure.

Carrier landing in a FG-1 (complete with change of underpants)!

Being part of aviation in the years when there was mutual respect by all who participated (yep - even for the lawyers) before the MBA crowd took over.

I often think that I was screwed from that first cockpit visit - nothing else was going to come close as a career, but also a realisation that the industry is NOT just about tech and cabin crew for those who have the passion but not the full suite of faculties to become king of the heap in the majors.

Would do it all again.

777WakeTurbz
23rd Nov 2009, 00:58
Awesome! Check your PMs plainmaker! :ok:

twodogsflying
23rd Nov 2009, 03:31
Being at Lilydale Airshow in 79 when VH-BOB (P51D) did a slow roll directly over the crowd at 50'.:ok:

The hairs on the back of my head still stand up whenever I think about it.:D

Aerozepplin
23rd Nov 2009, 05:53
A flight in a 247 and a Concorde plainmaker?! Each one of those is enough to be a life long highlight!

First smooth landing in a tail dragger rates pretty highly for me...
And seeing some amazing planes flying in the US; B-29, 2x B-17, 3x B-25, Wildcat, original Blériot...

Polymer Fox
23rd Nov 2009, 20:07
I haven't had a very long run at it yet but I think even when I have had a full career the first time I took Mum flying will be up there with all the beautiful sunsets and people that I will meet.

After more than a year spreading my wings and gaining my PPL, I took her up in a Robin/Alpha just after I'd completed my Aerobatics rating. Her emotions went from absolute beaming pride to sheer terror as soon as we broke away from the calm flying to pulling a few light G maneouvers and later on moving into fully developed 2000 foot drop spins. Her face just after the flight and her white as snow knuckles as she was gripping the seat in sheer terror while we were flying will stay with me forever.

Capt Fathom
23rd Nov 2009, 20:36
If you did that to your mother, I feel for your future passengers! :(

bluesky300
24th Nov 2009, 00:30
Up the Burragorang to Mt Solitary, orbits off the three sisters and return with a late evening sun lighting everything in gold.

troppo
24th Nov 2009, 01:07
someone's gotta say it...
gettin the first blowie from the girlfriend after my ppl in a PA28 :}
beer o'clock :ok:

FL400
24th Nov 2009, 01:08
Smooth as silk night with a full moon during NVFR training in a C172 and cleared direct to ML from the N on the way back to MB. As we get near, a VOZ 737 departs and climbs to 1000 FT underneath us, reaching its level not more than a mile ahead of us. Watched it all the way until it disappeared under the dash and almost did my neck turning to watch it though the back window as it climbed up through our level.

Ref + 10
24th Nov 2009, 01:16
I grew up flying around with my old man through his being in airlines, GA and corporate. After getting my GFPT having him come along for a few circuits in a 172 was really great. He sat white knuckled watching traffic for the first one, then jumped in the back for the next with the video camera for the next one and then he jumped, happily, back in the front and insisted on landing the third one from the right seat. He was truly happy doing a touch and go in a 172 at Jandakot.

Great thread.

There are more fond memories as with most people but that one stands out.

The Green Goblin
24th Nov 2009, 01:29
Taking my sister for a joyflight in an aerobatic capable aircraft. Climbed to ten thousand feet while giving her a nice view/scenic then said "this is for all the times you dropped me in the poo in our teenage years to mum", then spun it 7000 feet down to a recovery at 3000 feet.

Priceless :cool:

I miss aeros with students while instructing (one perk) :(

twodogsflying
24th Nov 2009, 04:53
troppo

Don't forget its real easy joining the MHC.

Renewing Membership every year, now that another matter :{

cosmo21
24th Nov 2009, 05:36
My Nan tells me a story of when I was just a wee little tacka, I used to point at the airplanes flying over and state that one day it would be me flying over her house.:ok:
The day I actually got to do that, and then take my Pop up for a burl. Is one of the good ones...

Cosmo

PyroTek
24th Nov 2009, 06:38
cosmo, the line "I can see my house from here" was with great satisfaction when I did eventually get to fly over it! (as PIC too!)

Pyro

bushy
24th Nov 2009, 11:49
A memorable one for me was formatting on a "lost" Piper Lance which had six very confused young ladies in it and leading them to Inverell. Our friendly Flight service operator at Coff's harbour had arranged for a policeman to interview their pilot when we landed, but after that we all had coffee, and I sugested that an overnight stay in Inverell would be a good idea before they headed for bankstown. I heard them depart the following morning and have no idea who they were.

j3pipercub
24th Nov 2009, 12:11
Just a couple

Walking from my caravan to the caravan (10m) and doing the daily in just my boxers. Quickly get changed and take the sunrise load up, land and go back to bed :)

The maginifcent view of Byron bay and surrounds on a crystal clear winters morning. Geez it woke you up when they opened the door at FL140 though, I still remember how cold it was.

Launching out of base for a resort island and after doing all the ctaf calls, heading over to company freq to tell jokes and play silly buggers with the other 2-6 guys on channel.

The last landing in an islander being an absolute greaser, one of my best of all time. Still miss them.

Taking my old man (who shares my love of cubs) out on a perfect August morning, and being able to do whatever the hell we wanted, no schedule, no otp, no stress, not a care in the world... In a way, the best flying.

j3

Mark1234
24th Nov 2009, 20:31
In few short years:

First Solo - ASK13. Waited for ages, then it just happened. Felt very aware there was no safety net! Don't remember my first powered solo..

14,000 over Mt Cook in a glider. Super smooth, quiet, surreal.

Night Navex to N.Victoria and back - aforementioned DCT-ML-DCT-YMMB; traffic on your left is.. watching a 737 slide by in the dark, waving like nutters :)

QXC before work one morning. Walked in at 9.30 to join the rat race having flown to the grampians and back..

*finding* YWMC first time - using 'conventional' nav, no GPS (as a green city pilot too..) It does work then! Also Lake Eyre, & large sections of central aus from 9,500 frequently above the clouds. Shute harbour (the only place I've bounced a 172 :( )

Sydney harbour orbits/Victor1

Short field landing in a decathlon, general tailwheel flying. One time rides in a DHC1 Chipmunk - just because - and an Extra - for clinical, precise madness. Recently starting on the pitts - highs and low's, but when you get it right you feel pretty special. Seems to have a timely habit of reminding you you're not.. (and the antithesis of the extra)

Never having to think of what to do as goes a date.. "hey, I'm off to <blah> on sunday, spare seat if you fancy it" (usually was off there too..) On the same theme landing after aeros with a far from unattractive female friend. Sits there for a second, then with the biggest grin imaginable "Oh my g**, you are awesome". Game on then :)

A stall turn in the rain - for that brief split second the raindrops hung stationary alongside. Sunset from the air, rainbows.. so many things I'd otherwise never have seen.

If I ever add up what I've spent, it makes me go cold, but I'd not trade it for any amount of beer, flash tv's etc..