PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security for payments by credit card

Mike6567
16th Nov 2009, 18:04
I have been about to order another small photo book from a well known internet printing service. I have used this before with no problems.
This time when I get to the page requesting credit card details (https etc) the padlock at the bottom right of the screen has a little red exclamation mark next to it - hover over it and "Warning contains unauthenticated content" appears.
I am using Firefox 3.5.5 and have no similar warnings with Banks Amazon etc.
Is there a simple explanation?

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Nov 2009, 18:24
You'll have to read the documentation for your browser to find out what that message means.

At a guess - and it's only a guess so don't make any important decisions based on it! - some items on the page were fetched via HTTPS and some weren't. Browser security wonks think this is a big deal, but I don't understand why - personally I'm perfectly happy if some of the irrelevant decorative graphics on my bank's web site weren't fetched via HTTPS.

Keef
16th Nov 2009, 21:09
Agree with Gertrude, but I'd still contact the seller (as I do!) and say "Sorry, I can't buy from your site cos it has warning about insecure content"

The other one that gets me is when I go to pay, and I get a stream of NoScript warnings about places the site is trying to cross-link me to.

I've had a credit card cloned (not that way) and don't take risks.

mixture
17th Nov 2009, 07:54
Browser security wonks think this is a big deal, but I don't understand why

Long story....... but in essence the browser warnings are a "nanny" thing done with good reason.

Imagine if the "inseucre content" was, say .... some javascript ...... you've lost the chain of trust with the site that you would otherwise have through their SSL certificate.

A nasty person could also theoretically have a lot of fun with some iframes...

"Sorry, I can't buy from your site cos it has warning about insecure content"

Good idea. In most cases it's pure lazyness that the developers can't add a little "s" to the end of http objects on the secure pages ! :ok: