PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Air Law and the CASR

1723KG
16th Nov 2009, 13:23
G'day,

I am just about to sit ATPL air law and have a bit of a quandry. It says I am only allowed to take the CAR 1988 into the exam but some of my practice questions have the answers from the CASR 1998. I would like to take the CASR just in case, but I have to travel to the city that the exam is being held via QF and the weight of all the books is going to be pretty heavy.

Has anybody else come across the same sort of thing recently? The last thing I want to happen is to leave it at home because the confirmation sheet says it shouldn't be there and then have half the exam questions drawn from it!

1723kg

Artificial Horizon
16th Nov 2009, 21:37
I have just done the CPL and ATPL air law exams and took my CASR's along with me. When the lady checked the documents she took the CASR off me and everyone else in the room. One bloke protested as he said that some of the answers he had been studying for were in there. She just said 'tough, if they aren't on the list they aren't staying in the exam room'. This happened on both occassions and I didn't require anything out of the CASR for either exam. Having subsequently looked up the documents required on the CASA website it doesn't include the CASR in the documents allowed. That was my experience of it. Good luck with the exams:ok:

bogdantheturnipboy
16th Nov 2009, 22:07
I didn't need it either

LeadSled
17th Nov 2009, 02:33
Folks,
What purblind stupidity of outdated/incorrect examination instructions.

Australian aviation regulations comprise CAR and CASR, they are ALL regulations made under the Civil Aviation Act 1988.

They are of equal validity. Nobody is required to commit "the regulations" to memory, such would be impossible, anyway.

In addition, CAOs are also "dis-allowable documents" with a legal (enforceable) validity.

I trust at least one of you has formally advised CASA.

Tootle pip!!

777WakeTurbz
17th Nov 2009, 03:43
I didn't need it either Same, though it caused a bit of confusion when i said i wanted to keep my Jepps approach plates and use my AIPs in lieu of the Jepps AIP. lol I won in the end...

Artificial Horizon
17th Nov 2009, 05:06
Doesn't matter how much you think it should be allowed but the CASA website clearly states you are not allowed it, and in my experience it was taken from you.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASA exam material provided and required (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90074)

Under the heading CAR:

The CAR required in flight crew exams is the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR). Other than for the CPL Balloon Air Law exam (CLWB) and the aeroplane agricultural rating exam (AGRA), the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) is NOT required nor permitted.

1723KG
17th Nov 2009, 07:02
I rang and spoke to CASA myself. The guys official statement was that the CASR is not permitted in the exam which is great as I dont need to carry it on the QF flight with me now. The only problem I have, and I am sure that I am not the only one, is that some of the questions in supposedly up to date course books refer to the CASR's. These questions pertain to class one medicals, aerodrome certification requirements and also aircraft certifications etc. He assured me that there would be no questions in the exam that are related to the CASR.

I went on to ask that if there were what would happen and drew the response ` If you think there is a question that is from the CASR in the exam then dont answer it, leave it blank, and take it up with us after the exam'...

1723kg

777WakeTurbz
17th Nov 2009, 07:26
If you are that worried about it, then read the parts you think are relevant immediately prior to going in for the exam or memorize those parts. Chances are there is another document that holds the same information anyway.
Just answer it if think you have the correct answer and take it up with them afterward if you fail and it says you got it wrong. If you pass, forget it. :}

Kwod
17th Nov 2009, 08:58
Had same experience as AH - CASR removed. Did not need them. Also had to take relevant sections out of Jepps cos I had an AIP already tagged.

Seems to be a different slant on interpretation of regs at different ASL centres.

Trixabel
17th Nov 2009, 11:12
just done them myself - there will be no questions from CASR in the law exam. there used to be, and you used to be able to bring in the CASR, but that is no longer the case. if there were questions regarding CASR, they would allow you to bring the text in.

LeadSled
19th Nov 2009, 02:27
Folks,
I repeat what I have already said, CASRs are every bit as valid as regulations as CARs.

So, apparently based on the present "policy", only "law" contained in CARs will be "examined". Great, that means there are swags of areas about which an ATPL pilot should have some knowledge (ATC, aerodromes, aircraft certification and performance) that will not be examined.

I hope this is all made clear in the examination syllabus. Easy to see on the CASA web site which sections are already expressed as CASRs.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASR parts (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:PWA::pc=PC_91072)

As the CARs rapidly disappear,( and they will, repealed to be replaced by CASRs), it's gunna make setting Air Law exams a little difficult. Maybe there is a silver lining, when there are no CARs remaining, it will make memorizing them for the "exams" easy.

Tootle pip!!

Aeroo
19th Nov 2009, 05:24
I just did my ATPL Airlaw exam a week ago. I took the CASR folder in, but it was never taken away. The bloke just looked through it to make sure there were no handwritten notes, as they always do. That said, I may as well have left the folder at home, because I didn't need it - or the DAPS, or any of the TACS, ERCS or the PCA.