PDA

View Full Version : Taking My Wife to Saudi Arabia

Shaman
16th Nov 2009, 11:33
The briefing sheet for NASair comments that a pilot may not bring his wife to Saudi Arabia until the end of his line training which will take approximately 9 weeks.

An old website states that you have to apply in Saudi for a family visa.

Unfortunately, NASair do not require my services but in the event that another airline offers me a job, will it be possible for my wife and I both to arrive in Saudi Arabia at the same time prior to me starting work or will she really have to remain at home waiting for me to arrange a visa for her?

mutt
16th Nov 2009, 11:55
will it be possible for my wife and I both to arrive in Saudi Arabia at the same time prior to me starting work Generally NO.

will she really have to remain at home waiting for me to arrange a visa for her? Generally YES.

The process is that the company sponsors you and provides a working visa, once you arrive in Saudi you then obtain an "Igama" residence visa, if your salary is above a certain limit, you can then sponsor your own wife and family. The whole time to do all of this can be measured in weeks or months!

Mutt

ME Sneak
16th Nov 2009, 12:07
NASAIR

9 week lin traning! expet to duble that!

even COO can not get visa for his famly as govment relatons incopetnt

wil not sponsor famly unles ful tim

Shaman
16th Nov 2009, 12:15
Mutt,

Thank you very much for a prompt reply. Looks like it is a "no-goer" then.............

puff m'call
16th Nov 2009, 17:15
If you find a way then take mine as well, please.:E

NZ X man
16th Nov 2009, 18:29
Shaman
You would want to get set up there before hand anyway. Accommodation, transport, so while you were going through the visa stuff, the company would also be setting up the housing, transport, etc.

It is hard enough in the Kingdom for the families, you would at least want to minimize the baloney before your wife arrived.

metro301
17th Nov 2009, 01:45
I waited till after training was complete. I heard horror stories of guys that brought their families only to fail out of training. Not just Saudi, really applies anywhere.

Shaman
17th Nov 2009, 12:03
NZ X Man and metro 301,

Thanks for the posts. MY Mrs wants to be there from the very start and I want her there as well!

mutt
17th Nov 2009, 20:01
MY Mrs wants to be there from the very start and I want her there as well! Truly shows that you aren't ready to move to Saudi..... sorry..

Mutt

NZ X man
17th Nov 2009, 22:43
The guys who are passing this info on, have already spent time in the Magic Kingdom, and speak from experience. Trust me, get it set up first, and it would all work out OK. Trying it your way, and your wife will not like you AS MUCH

tornspar
17th Nov 2009, 22:57
can you PLEASE take mine too.................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semaphore Sam
18th Nov 2009, 04:56
This conversation is silly. I looked for work for 4 years in the '70's, and was offered work in Saudi. It took me 3 months to get my wife and children into the Kingdom...and, after they got in (1978), we spent 28 good years. The opportunities for flight crew in the States, vrs the KSA right now, are not even close. Go ahead, take your 16K in the US (if you can find a job) , vrs the 75-90K starting pay (tax free, housing, medical) on offer now in Saudi. Even if you get your 'dream job' at a regional for 16K in the US, you'll be furloughed in 3-6 months. Drop the blinders, people, the dream in the USA is dead. Sam

Desert Diner
18th Nov 2009, 06:44
Moving a family out here before you are completely settled in and you are familiar with the "system" will be a nightmare.

If a marriage cannot take the strains of such a separation will have no chance of survinging out here.

ItsAjob
18th Nov 2009, 09:16
Just get a different wife out there!
Saves on shipping.

FlyingCroc
18th Nov 2009, 20:23
you can take to Saudi, can you take mine too? :E

411A
19th Nov 2009, 03:38
Taking My Wife to Saudi Arabia

One might then ask...why would you take a ham sandwich to a banquet?

Desert Dawg
19th Nov 2009, 04:30
Having previously lived in Jeddah for a few years, I can attest to the comments made by various other members regarding the sanity of bringing your wife with you to Saudi Arabia from the outset.

Don't Do It..!

I waited 7 months to bring my wife out. It was the best decision we made.

Desert Diner
19th Nov 2009, 09:18
why would you take a ham sandwich to a banquet?

The food doesn't seem to get changed out as frequently as when you were out here.

AMF
19th Nov 2009, 14:39
I'll add my voice to those advising you to wait before bringing her.

Go there and get settled yourself first, then send for her. You don't want her to experience all the hoop-jumping and frustrations you'll experience, because she will also have hers that aren't necessarily the same. Deal with one thing at a time.

And while you're apart, tell her everything is fine and treat all the trip-ups as part of a Grand Comedy. Unless you both bring your sense of humor, you're not long for the place.

Good luck!

desertopsguy
20th Nov 2009, 06:07
Sanwich to a banquet? It's still Saudi we're talking about right? I must be eating at the wrong places :}

"Singles" section in starbucks is a great place to meet women :E

wastafarian
20th Nov 2009, 06:55
thats why the ssaudis bilt a causeway to bahrain. . . its the kingdon's pressure relief valve! :ok: