PDA

View Full Version : Mobile homes for pilots

soseg
16th Nov 2009, 02:09
Apologies if it has already been posted, if so - I must have missed it

Thought this was pretty interesting and depressing at the same time

BBC NEWS | Programmes | World News America | Mobile homes for pilots (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/world_news_america/8186753.stm)

Mr. Hat
16th Nov 2009, 02:44
Its the Airline managers wet dream come true.

There was a thread on it a while ago but no video footage.

The comment at the end "at least we got a job" sums up how it got that way.

How about if you cant afford to pay the decent wages and conditions close the company. I'd have left for an overseas gig a long time ago or changed career.

Monopole
16th Nov 2009, 02:45
Yes, but the first bloke interviewed, has a big house 1000 miles away, and has chosen to live in his motor home instead of commuting, and makes the trip home once a week (my mother does the same for her job).
The ol' Skipper didn't give much away, and the third persons biggest concern was losing reception on the telly.
Nearly every one of those Motor homes (granted in Australian dollars) are approx 200,000 - 250,000 Dollar homes when I looked at a few of them. I dont think there that hard up.

Capt Fathom
16th Nov 2009, 03:17
I don't think they're that hard up!

RayMaswju1A

Monopole
16th Nov 2009, 03:59
Capt Fathom,
I was not suggesting that regional pilots are on good coin. But nor can you compare USD20,000 with AUD20,000 and the quality of lifestyle that goes along with that.
What I was suggesting was that on that particular interview, when you listen carefully and look at (some of) the rigs they are driving, their not exactly living on destitute row.

Aussie
16th Nov 2009, 06:56
Good post Capt Fathom. They should play this to all the wannabes before they start training... but then the flight schools need to make money...:eek:

40Deg STH
16th Nov 2009, 07:34
Monopole

I work with many US pilots and hear what they could or did earn with US major airlines, I can see why they have to live in mobile homes. You would be very surprised. The better payers are UPS and FEDEX and are very hard to get into as a result.
Flying for CX and based in the US pays them more than working for United or Continental. Many pilots no longer apply to these carriers and the job is always so unstable with constant furloughs. i know an ex USair pilot who was constantly furloughed and he had 14 years in the airline and held a command, then down graded to FO then on the street, then back again. Its a weird system.
It certainly is not what I was lead to believe it was like.