PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Taranaki Incident

Bastardos
15th Nov 2009, 20:42
Does anyone have details on the incident that happened Ohakea - Aardmore? Solid rumours at that it was the Aardmore Pitts... Condolences to the family and friends.

philipnz
15th Nov 2009, 21:07
Yes, it was ZK-MAD, very sad

Second fatal plane crash a mystery - national | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3064925/Second-fatal-plane-crash-a-mystery)

NZFlyingKiwi
15th Nov 2009, 21:32
Very sorry to see that - was watching it flying circuits at Ardmore only a few days ago.

Bastardos
15th Nov 2009, 21:42
Oh, that confirms it then... I thought it was MAD returning from the Ohakea training weekend. The initial reports were confused as to whether one or two were on board - I see from the latest it has been confirmed as only the PIC on board..

CougarNZ
15th Nov 2009, 21:44
Deepest Sympathy and heart felt thoughts go out to the families of ZK -MAD

slackie
15th Nov 2009, 23:41
Thanks to all for the many expressions of condolences...these are difficult times...I'll ensure they are passed on particularly to his family.

slackie
16th Nov 2009, 19:16
Dead man was skilled aerobatic pilot | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/3068789/Dead-man-was-skilled-aerobatic-pilot)

Tidbinbilla
17th Nov 2009, 00:13
Folks,
Let's not turn this into a condolences thread. It's unlikely the families read this board anyway.

Let's just stick to the facts.

slackie
17th Nov 2009, 01:29
Actually, while I can't speak for his wife (who is a pilot also), I know a few of the ZK MAD syndicate members DO read this forum.

Having said that, I'm all in favor of "sticking to the facts" - very few of which are known at the moment.

Don Mask
17th Nov 2009, 09:02
With respect, I am pleased that I can use this thread to share my condolences with those that knew the pilot. Whether or not the family read this post or not is irrelevant and I am sure that those that do, are passing on our thoughts to not just the family but to those who need to know that people care about what has happened. The ZK-MAD syndicate is one of NZs better known, respected and active groups. I am sure many people will draw comfort from the fact that people that didn't know the pilot, know the group, and wish post their condolences. Even if this was purely a condolence post, I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world.

haughtney1
17th Nov 2009, 09:12
Lets hope the aviation community in NZ can learn the lessons from this tragic incident (assuming they are found and understood) so that we can all be a little bit safer.
Just for my own understanding, does anyone know what approximately the current weather at the time was?

NZFlyingKiwi
17th Nov 2009, 18:38
Not fantastic - pretty windy over most of the North Island and some showers around, but as one of the investigators put it, it wasn't unflyable.

27/09
17th Nov 2009, 19:41
Condolences to all involved. A very sad event the second in the same area within a week.

NZFlyingKiwi
but as one of the investigators put it, it wasn't unflyable

I'm not sure that's what he said or more correctly what he was reported to have said. Further I'm not sure any investgator would make such a definitive statement so early in an investigation.

Your comment does not convey what was reported.

Here is an excerpt from one publication, Mr McCready being the investigator.

There was evidence weather conditions were bad but Mr McCready was not discounting anything.

"People have told me it wasn't the best but that doesn't mean it wasn't flyable," he said.

I am not trying to make any comment on the actual weather conditions at the time of the accident just to correct a misquote.

NZFlyingKiwi
19th Nov 2009, 00:35
My mistake, and thankyou for the correction.

M14_P
22nd Nov 2009, 03:23
Yeh well said Don. Terrible and utterly shocking news. It bites a relatively small NZ aerobatic community hard that's for sure.