PDA

View Full Version : iinet Blocked

blueloo
15th Nov 2009, 19:02
Can any mod check to see if IINET has been blocked from pprune?

Last few days it is as if pprune is down, but after a quick check using an ip redirector, it appears that my internet provider is being blocked.

cheers

tmpffisch
15th Nov 2009, 19:46
I've been having the same problem on the Exetel wireless broadband (Optus network)I can access it fine on my Iphone (telstra), and can only access pprune through Filter Bypasser - Bypass Filter (http://www.filterbypasser.com)

airsupport
15th Nov 2009, 20:41
Don't know what the problem is, however it has been odd for me too last few days, couldn't access at all yesterday and earlier today, only just worked now. :confused:

No problem with any other sites, am on Telstra cable broadband. :confused:

wishiwasupthere
15th Nov 2009, 20:41
I was having the same problem with 3 over the weekend (missed out on my Pprune fix :mad:!!) but it seems to be working now.

startingout
15th Nov 2009, 20:52
telstra and optus was blocked until about 10min ago... Atleast she is back :ok:

triadic
15th Nov 2009, 21:00
No access over the w/e... using iinet... back now (Mon am)

Is anyone going to follow up... not real good to have such a popular site "down" for so long....!:confused::confused:

airsupport
15th Nov 2009, 21:02
Maybe PPRuNe Towers are trying to block all Aussies......... :E

Mr. Hat
15th Nov 2009, 21:05
pprune addicts, there was a notice about 48 hours ago that the site would be down. Mrs hat was hoping it was permanent!:=

Keg
15th Nov 2009, 22:11
It's still no good for me on optus cable. Working on the 3 phone though.

empacher48
15th Nov 2009, 22:19
Wasn't working for me in Fiji.. I tried with my own connection, went to the hotel and used their connection.. So I gave up and am using Carrier Pigeons instead...

Now, one of my pigeons has got lost, can anyone tell me if Ansett are still employing?? :}

Buster Hyman
16th Nov 2009, 00:57
Mr. Hat. Please don't ruin a good conspiracy thread! :rolleyes:

Now, back to topic....

OMFG! I'm with iiNet!!! BASTARDS!!!!!:mad:

VH-XXX
16th Nov 2009, 01:18
I'm with IINet too, pr1cks!

I thought it was a conspiracy, IInet at home, Telstra on the Mobile, Bigpond at the inlaws all conspiring against me.

tail wheel
16th Nov 2009, 01:57
I don't have full details but it appears there was a serious attempt at hacking the site late last week. As a result the site Administration loaded a high security firewall which for some reason cut off Australia from around mid night Saturday until early Monday morning.

I was only able to log into PPRuNe via a free proxy server site in the USA. If you can't log into PPRuNe, you could try logging in via THIS PROXY (http://www.hidemyass.com/) in the USA.

I don't know if the problem is fixed. I'll let you know if I hear the story.

airsupport
16th Nov 2009, 02:20
The conspiracy story is better............... :E

Buster Hyman
16th Nov 2009, 04:12
there was a serious attempt at hacking the site late last week.
It was the Scientologists wasn't it....:suspect:

PyroTek
16th Nov 2009, 04:21
I was only able to log into PPRuNe via a free proxy server site in the USA. If you can't log into PPRuNe, you could try logging in via THIS PROXY (http://www.hidemyass.com/) in the USA.
Tsk Tsk, a mod encouraging ways to get round an IP ban?! :E

:ok:Pyro

Jabawocky
16th Nov 2009, 05:17
Hey TW

If you can't log into PPRuNe, you could try logging in via THIS PROXY (http://www.hidemyass.com/) in the USA.

Now if you could not log in.......how would you get this gem of advice :E

Ok........I feel a holiday coming :}

J:suspect:

tail wheel
16th Nov 2009, 07:50
Tsk Tsk, a mod encouraging ways to get round an IP ban?!

Yes, it would get around an IP address ban - if we did that, which we don't.

But it won't allow a banned user to log into PPRuNe! :ok:

I logged into PPRuNe via a Proxy Server a number of times on Sunday to find out what was going on - only to find a number of Mods around the World doing same thing. The problems were widespread.

Worrals in the wilds
16th Nov 2009, 07:51
Jabawocky, kind of like the tv broadcasts during the Qld power strike in the eighties:
"...and if your suburb is in this list, your power is currently off..." helpful journalism at its finest :}

Thanks for the tip, tw. Perez Hilton's no substitute for PpRuNe :sad:

remoak
16th Nov 2009, 08:25
It would save a bunch of bandwidth if somebody just put an explanation up somewhere at the top of each page!

tipsy2
16th Nov 2009, 11:20
Here Taily, my anti virus software doesn't like your Proxy Site in the US of A

Opening this website may put your security at risk
The website you wanted to see might transmit malicious software to your computer, or has done that before to someone else. It may also show signs of involvement in online scams or fraud.

That was the response I got. The proxy site was rated 'dangerous"

Late Sunday I managed to get on via a Google search and link to the D&G page only to find I could go no further. There was also a note from a hitherto unknown Mod advising of "Server Problems". I don't recall the Mod's name!

tipsy:D

tail wheel
16th Nov 2009, 12:12
My professional firewall didn't have a problem with that proxy site.

There are hundreds of other Proxy sites.

The message was from Miguel, one of the site Admins in the USA. I think I destroyed his Sunday! :}

startingout
16th Nov 2009, 19:26
Im getting through using hidemyass but there is no firewall on any of the computers here, so have no clue whats going on again.

tail wheel
16th Nov 2009, 20:17
From Miguel in our Mod's Forum:
We literally were having 100K's of attempts to access our network every second and thus our very well configured firewall was getting overwhelmed. Think of the well defined queues you have to get passengers on board your plane and then a mob of people come through, bypass the queues, storm down the ramp and attempt to enter through the cabin door. If you don't have strong enough defenses at the front of the airport it just doesn't matter how nicely defined your queues are at the boarding gate.

As we launched our new firewall we had to configure it across over 250 sites with all the specialized rules that were needed. Previously when we swapped out firewalls this was a multi-month exercise. We've now done it in 72 hours.

I do apologize again for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience with this. I believe we have fixed the Australia/NZ access issues. If you continue to see other issues, please let me know.

Mod:
... out of curiosity (and for my education), what was different or special about Oz/NZ access?

Miguel:
Other than their beer being a little sub-par, nothing really.

What happened was that we were recognizing that data packets from Asia/Pacific area were often getting rejected by our new firewall. It took the team a while (with everything else going on) to diagnose the issue and resolve it. To be honest, I don't know the details as to what the primary issue was.

With a firewall you have to do some 'training' (configuring) to ensure it can recognize good traffic from bad traffic. A lot of that comes through code that is written and access that is given to certain traffic origins. For some odd reason, the box that we put in just didn't (out of the box) seem to like Aussies and Kiwis.

I am currently defending our Aussie honour!!! :} The Mod House Forum is not moderated - and gets interesting at times. :E

Unhinged
16th Nov 2009, 21:09
Given that the Americans consider Budweiser to be beer, there prolly isn't a lot of defending needed !

p.j.m
16th Nov 2009, 21:12
still being blocked on bigpond cable in Australia - 58.173.x.x

airsupport
16th Nov 2009, 21:48
still being blocked on bigpond cable in Australia

NOT blocked in Brisbane. ;)

(BigPond cable).

tail wheel
16th Nov 2009, 22:30
p.j.m Bigpond is not blocked - I am connected to Bigpond at home and at work.

Your IP address is a Teltra home ip address. Interesting work IP address. :}

With that work IP address you should know to try re-booting your modem and clear cookies. :ok:

Buster Hyman
17th Nov 2009, 01:14
I am connected to Bigpond at home and at work.
Crikey! You must be on the BIG dollars Tailey!!! :ooh::ooh:

PyroTek
17th Nov 2009, 11:12
I am connected to Bigpond at home and at work.

unlucky! :ugh:

I'm not much better, Optus is the go here.

:ok:Pyro

Eclan
17th Nov 2009, 20:39
Yes, it would get around an IP address ban - if we did that, which we don't. Ah yes but it's certainly been threatened in the past. Always amusing, that!