PDA

View Full Version : Eurocopter EC 130 & AS 350 service?

chucksweet
15th Nov 2009, 08:29
T1 and T2 inspections?
I was told that these have to be done every 2 years (or 600 hours) on Eurocopter 130s and AS 350s.. They take about 300 hours to do...ouch! What exactly do they do?

I know owning helicopter is expensive, but wow!

Chuck

Helicopterist
15th Nov 2009, 13:25
600hrs is a major inspection and requires taking lots of the machine apart.
Should be done in less than 300 hours though. Most expensive european maint. co. I know charges Euro 12/13k on average (with 16k being the worst so far).
In north america should be less. On a 350 you should be able to get it done in no more than 200hrs if there are no surprises and the machine is relatively new and low hours. $75 x200 = 15.000 usd should be the very upper limit on a well maintained and recent unit.
Again, this assumes no surprises and a unit that has not been abused. As you know, if the machine has worked hard the starflex might be stressed out ($35k), the skids punctured (£4k), etc., and there is really no way to tell where you'll end up.
But the inspection itself should be between 10 and 15k in your neck of the woods.
And if you are closer to the north send me an IM. I know a great shop in Canada which will do the inspection as cheaply as it can be done while doing a good job.

chucksweet
15th Nov 2009, 19:35
Less than 300 hours???
I was quoted 250 - 325. I guess that is in the ball park. I am just amazed it has to happen every 2 years.

Thanks for the input.

Chuck

Helicopterist
26th Nov 2009, 16:32
250/325 it's nearly double the average at most honest shops. Keep in mind Eurocopter gives a range for this inspection and that official figure is 100 to 140 hours. Anybody giving an estimate above 200 hours (unless they looked at the machine and pointed out particular issues of course) should be questioned.
Even an Ohio shop whose owner I recently spoke with almost guarantees to do it in 120 hours. Unless your machine is a particular case you might want to get a competing quote to make sure they are not trying to rip you..

chucksweet
27th Nov 2009, 01:22
Thanks, I probably should have responded earlier. That service center called me back and said they had over estimated. Their new estimate is more in line with what others have said. Thanks everyone for your help.

The good thing is that I have consummated the deal on the EC 130 and I should have it in a few weeks. I am excited.

Thanks