PDA

View Full Version : Gap Year Travel - SriLankan Airlines

TightSlot
15th Nov 2009, 08:06
My oldest boy departs on his Gap Year Travel tonight LHR-CMB - Cue: Distraught Mother at Airport, younger son asking if he can move into his room while away and me reducing Car Insurance premiums with indecent haste tomorrow.

I hope that you don't mind, but I was planning to use this thread very occasionally to tap into whatever knowledge you that may exist.

Firstly, SriLankan Airlines - Anything I should know? - he's a gap year back packer in economy, so info on Business Class will not be much use, but thanks anyway.

Secondly, Any suggestions on known good Hostels in BKK & SIN? - Avoiding all the LadyBoy/Hooker jokes if at all possible?

Thanks in anticipation

Anansis
15th Nov 2009, 13:36
I flew Sri Lankan about two months ago HKG-BKK (Hong Kong to Bangkok). I was impressed- clean plane and good food served with metal cutlery and glass cups- something of a novelty these days!

When I'm in Bangkok I like to stay in Soi 1 Guesthouse. It has dormitory rooms which cost around 350Baht a night (£7approx) and is pretty centrally located right next to a skytrain and riverbus station (most backpackers heading to Bangkok make the mistake of staying on the Khao San Road which, although a fun place to visit, is in the middle of nowhere). Dave, the American guy who runs Soi 1 with his Thai wife, is an old style hippie with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things South East Asian. He will have plenty of tip and suggestions to help your son have a great trip. At this point I think I must add that I have no connection with the place apart from being a highly satisfied, regular customer!

www.soi1guesthouse.com

Anansis