PDA

View Full Version : Forced landing near Stirling

fisbangwollop
13th Nov 2009, 12:30
Siai Marchetti S205 operating out from Cumbernauld made succesfull forced landing in a field near stirling. called Pan with Scottish Info with engine misfire then Mayday as engine stopped. All safe and well, many thanks to the other aircraft in the area that relayed position of RX......I managed to miss all the fun as was on my coffee break :).... now what did you say about flying on Friday the 13th!! :cool::cool:

Crash one
13th Nov 2009, 15:49
Nice to hear a happy ending for a change.

fisbangwollop
13th Nov 2009, 19:49
I hear it may be flying out of the field......under a PDG helicopter! Should make a nice photo.:cool:

cal368
13th Nov 2009, 20:02
Glad both guys are ok Paul, I'll need to pop in to Cumbernauld for the details this weekend at some time. Happy ending as long as the guys are safe!

Cheers,

Paul.

IO540
13th Nov 2009, 20:30
What is the cost / procedures for a helicopter retrieval?

Normally, the wings come off and it goes back on a trailer, then it rarely flies straight again because the shop didn't know about getting the rigging just right.

flyingwardy
13th Nov 2009, 22:15
Heard all the action today whilst working Scottish Info on the way upto Fife....was glad to hear ATC saying all were safe! Well done to the pilot for getting it into the field safely and good to hear the guys in the area providing help. :ok:

Say again s l o w l y
13th Nov 2009, 22:33
Blimey, I'm glad they are both fine. I did some of the Jim's training on that particular beastie. She's not the youngest machine, but always flew nicely and never worried me in the slightest.

They walked away and the machine is in one piece. A job well done. Nice one fella!

fisbangwollop
14th Nov 2009, 08:23
Hi Paul/Ifor....yes all's well that ends well :)....the worst thing for us in ATC is when that radio goes dead!! :confused: It was an anxious moment till we had confirmation from the other aircraft in the area that he found the aircraft in one piece on the deck with the 2 crew standing next to it. :) It was not helped by a phone call from Edinbugh ATC saying they had just recieved a phone call from Lothian and Borders police reporting an aircraft had crashed.......anyway will be interested to hear what the final outcome and reason was for the failure. At the end of the day the worst that happened was I got dragged back in off my coffee break! :cool:

cats_five
14th Nov 2009, 14:36
Glad to hear they are safe and well, and hopefully the plane will be OK once it's retrieved. :)

I hate to think how much that costs. :eek:

It is very wet round here, can imagine the plane sinking in to quite a degree...

JP1
14th Nov 2009, 15:38
Who picks up the retrieval costs? Is this covered by insurance?

Say again s l o w l y
14th Nov 2009, 15:58
Usually yes.

S205-18F
14th Nov 2009, 15:58
Hi folks it would appear that floats would be more appropriate for her as she is now sitting up to her hubs in water! Ahwell wonder if the insurance covers flood damage :eek: Certainly the helicopter lift is being talked about and if it does go ahead I will try and get photos posted!

cats_five
14th Nov 2009, 16:04
Given the state of the fields from here east to the A90 I'm not in the least bit surprised. More rain due Monday night as well.... :uhoh:

fisbangwollop
14th Nov 2009, 17:15
Certainly the helicopter lift is being talked about

Ah Dave Young to the rescue......will need to scrounge a lift on that one :cool:

Say again s l o w l y
14th Nov 2009, 17:45
John, if you need a hand when it comes to getting her prepped for the lift, just give me a bell.

fisbangwollop
14th Nov 2009, 17:54
:cool:If the heli-lift does happen it will be a first for a post on You-tube!!

S205-18F
14th Nov 2009, 18:44
Will do Ifor thanks! Going to have a look tomorrow and hope it can be moved soon as it is so close to bandit country! Raploch in Stirling!
Jim took it well but think Ian was a little P****d off as he was the one who fell into the mud!

Say again s l o w l y
14th Nov 2009, 19:06
God, if it's near the Raploch, then be thankful for the weather, it'll keep the scrotes inside and lessen the chances of it being set fire to!

It's no more than 5 minutes from me, so if you need someone to keep an eye on it, then again, let me know.

Was it IH with Jim?

S205-18F
14th Nov 2009, 19:31
Yes indeed was talking to him today trying to figure out what happened! Suspect carb ice but may have been water in tanks! The 3 drain points were checked in the pre flight and I know that Jim is particular in this as the plane lives outdoors! No water found but there were a series of steep turns made prior to the stalls after which the incident occurred.

Say again s l o w l y
14th Nov 2009, 19:41
He should be, I certainly remember beating it into him before every flight!

Well, whatever the reason, it's in one piece and that's all that matters.

Foxy Loxy
14th Nov 2009, 20:12
Proper job, nice one! :ok:

fisbang, I know what you mean about when the RT goes silent... Very tense, until you hear all is well.

Sir George Cayley
14th Nov 2009, 21:28
Bit of advice.

If you pull off a successful forced landing, even if the airplane is wrecked, do please try and comb ones hair, straighten ones clothes and wipe off any blood. We Ppruners must try to maintain standards you know.

Sir George Cayley

IO540
14th Nov 2009, 21:42
and, most important, don't get caught with your mobile phone switched on.

atceng
19th Nov 2009, 19:00
Still in the field on Tuesday,right in the middle,some pilot!
Caused me a bit of overuse of carb heat :}
Chose a different field for my pfl and learned that the autumn evening Scots sun is worse than a tailwind.:bored:

atceng

cats_five
20th Nov 2009, 11:33
I imagine that if it's still in the field it is now axle-deep in water!

As to the sun, depends how much tailwind. If there's little enough to do a safe downwind landing I would have throught you could do a cross-wind landing and avoid both sun in the eyes and the tailwind.

Sandy Hutton
29th Nov 2009, 13:54
The aircraft was flown out of the field this morning and is now parked safely at Errol. :D I just hope that the local Troll who "Owns" the Runway, "Owns" the buildings and "Owns" access to people, doesn't get on his high horse about it being there.:ouch:

cats_five
29th Nov 2009, 16:49
Good news that it's safely out, but why Errol? Why not Fife, Scone, or even Strathallen?

Say again s l o w l y
29th Nov 2009, 17:25
That's where she's looked after normally.

fisbangwollop
29th Nov 2009, 17:27
Sandy....thanks for the info glad all turned out well........was on duty today and he never spoke to me......maybe just as well ....:cool:

Sandy Hutton
29th Nov 2009, 19:44
Fishbang, Tom didn't speak to you because the radio display went a bit spurious and was unreadable. We tried to get her out yesterday too but even though it was a lovely day a few miles up the road, it was clampers in the Forth Valley and we couldn't see the far fence. This morning was just perfect when we returned though. I'll ensure he gives you a call to make up for your loss.:ok:

fisbangwollop
29th Nov 2009, 20:44
Hey Sandy....thanks for that, nice to see the story come to a happy end anyway...as for talking to me today no worries others were happy to keep me company! :cool::cool:

quilmes
30th Nov 2009, 18:53
Maybe too early, but are there any photos or movie clips that can be shown of the Stirling adventure?

S205-18F
30th Nov 2009, 20:30
Hi Sandy Tom updated me on the Troll at Errol! There are photos that Jim took after he recovered his composure. Will try to upload them soon. RX lives to fight another day!