PDA

View Full Version : Skytrans....

stick&rudder15
12th Nov 2009, 21:34
G'day boys and girls,

Does anyone know how many drivers Skytrans require, are they a good company to work for?
Is it true that some Qantas link trainees are getting placed there?
Any info would be great...
Cheers

Aussie
13th Nov 2009, 09:42
Never heard of them before, must be a new start up..?

OpsNormal
13th Nov 2009, 09:53
No, anything but a new start-up Aussie. At one stage a "top of the piston pile" GA company, now running a number of Dash 8 aircraft across Northern Qld and out of Darwin etc. I am not sure if they still have a Horn Is base anymore.

Others will know more than I.

Regards,

OpsN.

Moniker
13th Nov 2009, 10:10
Certainly been around for a while ..

Dashes based in CNS, BNE, DRW with I think 404's in TSV and there's a kingair lurking around somewhere as well .. also in CNS there is a citation used for VIP stuff and medivacs I believe ..

They're one of the companies charged with providing air transport after Macairs demise throughout regional QLD.

Anyone heard if the 5yr contracts have been announced yet .. was linked to APNG until a few months ago ...

Mr. Hat
13th Nov 2009, 22:51
Was once seen as the holy grail of the piston world. So what happened to the piston stuff? They had a sizeable fleet at one stage.

Alice Kiwican
14th Nov 2009, 04:25
They decided in their infinite wisdom to get rid of all the C404's and C310's and even the B200 to become an all Dash 8 fleet. Things came unstuck when they found they needed C404's and Kingair to operate the CNS-CKN and TL-Palm Island routes after MacAir went belly up and all Skytran's Dash's were used on the routes Macair were operating. Now it seems they still have 5 or 6 C404's, C550, and al lest 1 B200 ( although possibly 2 as the ex Troppo's Kingair has seen with Skytrans markings) as well as their Dash fleet.

Sorry no idea about the current recruitment bit I'm sure all will be revealed in due course.

It seems Hinterland have taken over the mantle of best company in Cairns now.

Mr Hat a number of their piston fleet were sold to Air South and Hinterland just to name 2.

Aussie
14th Nov 2009, 14:57
Well there ya go, learn something new eh... my bad. Cheers

aviation_enthus
15th Nov 2009, 22:38
Apparently received 380 applications in two days, after posting the add for FO's!
Probably have the best idea of anyone of the experience out there....

The Green Goblin
15th Nov 2009, 23:18
And out of that 380 will be all the fresh CPL hopefuls and an assortment of guys still completing their training.

If you think about all the drivers out there particularly in the northern ports there would not even be that many guys!

Flying Bear
15th Nov 2009, 23:36
Ahhh, yes - the much maligned CPL hopefuls!

Well, they DID advertise for FOs, not Captains, so why not?

Maybe Skytrans will take some junior pilots in order to stabilise their FO group for a couple of years, rather than take the 2,000 hour pilots who think they know it all simply because they have done a handful of charters in a Baron or Partenavia, who will say everything the company wants to hear about loyalty, etc during interview to get the job yet at the same time be inwardly wishing that they were off to a major carrier next week and thinking about what excuse they'll put forward when (and if) the call-up comes.:yuk:

Tempo
15th Nov 2009, 23:40
I remember applying to Skytrans in 2003....I had around 500hrs on the 404 (current aircraft at the time) and couldn't get a look in.

Everyone I have met who worked for them have only ever had good things to say.

apollo85
16th Nov 2009, 09:05
I agree with the above they are after the qantas link trainees:

I applied for that position about 4 days before the advert came up on AFAP. I to have much more than the required minimums advertised. I knew a Qlink trainee who got the job only a month ago.

I think it isn't a bad idea - they are grabbing all the youngstars with a dash endo.. great way of saving money I say! I guess the savings will be negligible when one runs off the rwy with a driver who has a massive 200 hrs : /

The Green Goblin
16th Nov 2009, 09:38
Regardless of Qlink trainees on the dash, that still leaves the Citation :ok:

I know what I would pick!

Jamair
16th Nov 2009, 18:05
FO on the Citation involves producing & submitting flt plans, radio work and lots of watching. At least 1 former FO (apparently) never got hands-on in 18 months of 'flying'. They used to own the Citation, then sold it....then leased it back.....:rolleyes:

Skytrans was once the ducks guts of GA. Now? Hmmmmm:yuk:

They DID wake up to themselves AFTER sacking their <5700 pilots and dumping the 404/310/B200 fleet - they stopped short of selling the last 3 (old, tired) 404s which are now TL based and doing the TL-PAM thing, and the B200 and have actually bought another B200 WZN.

If M**Air hadn't fallen over, Skytrans may have been in strife.

Colonel Braddock
16th Nov 2009, 22:15
Hi All,

Has Anyone else gotten a call up for an interview and does anyone know what to expect at the interview? Formal, Casual, Tech Questions, Sim Etc ?

training wheels
17th Nov 2009, 05:17
At least 1 former FO (apparently) never got hands-on in 18 months of 'flying'.

I thought the Citation was a single pilot aircraft anyway ...

777WakeTurbz
17th Nov 2009, 05:48
I thought the Citation was a single pilot aircraft anyway ...

Probably is, but depending on the clients using it some require multi crew (not always for legal reasons) even if it doesnt make sense. I used to have to conduct some flights for a certain mining company with an FO in a PA31, simply because they wanted it in the contract. Pointless, but thats what they wanted... :ugh:

grrowler
17th Nov 2009, 06:08
Anyone know if they are forecasting any Second or Third-officer recruitment over the coming months? Would love to get my foot in the door of a Dash. What would a SO or TO (WTF?!) do on a Dash, matey?:confused: You and the Colonel should hook up and share notes.

The Green Goblin
17th Nov 2009, 06:41
Now I know WannabeQF is a piss taker hahahahaha good job!

ausdoc
17th Nov 2009, 07:14
Poor WannabeQF seems to have some identity issues. His recent experience includes:

I myself have a valid GFPT - anyone know if i can tag along and pilot one of QF's A380's?

Anyone know if they are likely to accept me with 9000+ TT, 7200+ Jet and 1800+ Widebody command?

sorry, i only fly the heavy metal.

And all at the tender age of 19??????:ok:

Jamair
17th Nov 2009, 08:24
Citation SP is Single Pilot, otherwise it requires a 2nd pilot. No significant differences between the aircraft though.

Last FO I knew there (gidday Roger Ramjet!) was permanently on call but did 3/5 of sod-all flying.

glekichi
17th Nov 2009, 10:41
Colonel Braddock

I am looking for a job at the moment and I have a CPL, MECIR, Instructor and ATPLs. I am thinking of joining a regional or even better would be FO on a corporate/private jet. I have glass cockpit time on a C172 and C182RG. What would be a better type rating to get; a SAAB, Dash-8 or Citation ? I know REX have the SAAB and Qlink have Dash-8, so maybe they would be better to get ?

Like i use to say to my students..... "get out there and put on your CV, some 2 crew instructional time, some remote area work in harsh conditions, the right attitude and do what you EVER you can to get a job and you won't be stuck in a turbo-prop after your 30, you will go places fast".

Hopefully some of you negative people out there can maybe smile once in a while and I don't appreciate my life being called a wind up. I love what I do and I know I am good at it, because more than one person has said so. Thank you for "trying" to help anyway. I'll make sure to remember all your names when I am sorting through your CV's at QF.

:}:}:}

Guess the ratings paid off :}:}

Is this the wind up CB that got the interview, or the real person behind the wind?