PDA

View Full Version : Camera v's mirror for sling work?

Mountainman
12th Nov 2009, 16:55
If anybody out there has experience or knowledge of using a tail mounted camera and cockpit monitor for viewing an underslung load rather than a chin mirror could you please let me know? I'd be grateful for some info' on suppliers too.

Cheers

MM

Nigel Osborn
13th Nov 2009, 00:31
Always found the mirror easier; in bright sun the screen was hard to see.

Blind Bob
13th Nov 2009, 04:14
I've never flown with a tail cam, but I've never had a mirror failure either.

Phoinix
13th Nov 2009, 06:52
We have a small camera on a 212 pointed from roughly hell hole downwards. To this day I haven't found one good use of it. When you really need it the sun is way too bright. Mirrors all the way :ok:

TangoMikeYankee
13th Nov 2009, 20:56
I prefer the camera, but have the mirror as a back-up.

tottigol
14th Nov 2009, 00:52
We have a dual camera system on the AW-139, one points at the hook and the second one (wide angle) to a general location where the cargo ought to be up to 90KIAS.
We also fly the 212 and 412 on the same contract but we use the classic mirror set up for those.
The cameras on the 139 are displayed on the MFD.
The system takes a little bit to get used to as generally the pilots are well used to using the mirrors.

Adam Nams
14th Nov 2009, 03:11
errrrr....

Why not take a crewman? You concentrate on flying the aircraft and we'll tell you where to go! :ok:

Nigel Osborn
14th Nov 2009, 04:33
Not much space in a Bell 47:ok:

Mountainman
14th Nov 2009, 09:20
Thanks to all for the input and info'.

Mirrors would be my first choice too as I've used them in the past. Sadly, if a chin mirror is fitted to the aircraft I am currently flying (Mk1 Super Puma) the nose floatation bag is obstructed by the mounting structure and the aircraft cannot be used for offshore op's IAW my Op's Manual hence the camera question.

If I could source an after market mounting that didn't compromise the flotation system I'd go for it but I haven't had any luck so far.

I'm still keen to have a look at the camera option so if anyone could provide me with the name a manufacturer who produces approved kit for the commercial market I'd be grateful. I also understand that vibration can be an issue if the camera is mounted on an extremity of the airframe. I suspect glare on the screen won't be too much of a problem as I'm based in Scotland where I'm more likely to have snags with the lens icing up!:cool:

Cheers,

MM

Thud_and_Blunder
14th Nov 2009, 22:07
Mountainman,

Having just been lifting loads around Shetland this past week I'd say glare from that low autumn/winter sun can be a right pain.

Adam Nams,

Why not take a crewman? You concentrate on flying the aircraft and we'll tell you where to go!

...some operations can't afford to lose 100kgs of payload on every trip! However, we still manage some reasonably-accurate load placing even when the mirror is on the wrong bl**dy side of the aircraft:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Rough_and_Toothless/156Loadondeck.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Rough_and_Toothless/160Thenextloadisdropped.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Rough_and_Toothless/164anddroppingitoff.jpg

...were all done with HLO marshalling, mirror and occasional radio use. Not decrying crewmen by any means - on Chinooks I found that the pilot is merely a means of getting the crewmen to where they need to work next - but they aren't always the best way.

DeltaNg
15th Nov 2009, 08:32
cool pics.

Fancy doing that with a 902 ?

Thud_and_Blunder
15th Nov 2009, 11:04
Not really, I'd have to change back to my previous company and I'm very happy where I am now. Love the 902 for air ambo, respect the folks who'll make it work (and keep it within limits) on the lighthouses. We were loadlifting in 28G39kt winds last week; not sure I'd want to do that in the Explorer.

Bertie Thruster
15th Nov 2009, 11:28
Hi Thud! Are you doing it aerial or PT?

Just wondered, as the cargo isn't actually in the aircraft!

(Plus one can do aerial at 60+!!)

Thud_and_Blunder
15th Nov 2009, 16:54
It's PT, Bertie :( - we have to take the ship's crew ashore, recover them and a significant part of the roster involves carrying techs plus stores to remote lights. Shame really - that flaming age-60 thing keeps creeping closer and closer. Could actually get worse next year (for me) if the company retains the contract; my money would be on the customer paying for an IFR capability with any new aircraft. I can't even spell QSP, let alone remember when mine ran out!

Bertie Thruster
15th Nov 2009, 17:58
I take my hat off to you Thud, doing it all in an old 105. Just knowing what the engine bays look like makes me a very pessimistic BO driver!

mortennb
18th Aug 2011, 09:30
Was wondering if anyone has any experience on flying external loads on cameras?

I am working for a utility company mainly operating the AS350 with dart floor windows, and we had some discussions recently about new technology were you fly on cameras instead of looking down the toilett. Someone said that a couple of companies in Europe had started flying on camera systems.

Would appreciate any knowledge on the subject.

- M