vecvechookattack
12th Nov 2009, 17:04
OK...Petty I know but its real name is Lynx Wildcat

Gnd
12th Nov 2009, 17:06
No it isn't - Wildcat Mk1 - as I say - unless you are AW

Charlie Time
12th Nov 2009, 17:22
Quite right, either the Wildcat Mk1 (HMA) or (AH).

Gnd
12th Nov 2009, 17:27
Thanks, Wildcat Pic (as I say - Unless you are AW) (http://www.agustawestland.com/mediagallery)

vecvechookattack
12th Nov 2009, 17:36
At the same ceremony Lieutenant General Andrew Figgures, Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff (Capability) also announced that the aircraft would be called the Lynx Wildcat in UK military service,

Nice pics..... and despite the poor weather.

The Flight reference cards have got Lynx Wildcat written all over them

Tourist
12th Nov 2009, 17:38
Oooh, she is ugly!

Gnd
12th Nov 2009, 17:39
Should be more soon, I guess Lieutenant General Andrew Figgures has now (as time has passed) been appraised of the correct name. If not, he will be soon. The printers will have some extra work as well!

Go ugly early or you may end up with a Puma!!!!!!

Charlie Time
12th Nov 2009, 18:11
The recent change of name to drop the word 'Lynx' from Wildcat was endorsed at the recent Wildcat Project Board.

barnstormer1968
12th Nov 2009, 18:19
I often visit the helicopter museum in Weston Super Mare, and I must say that this 'new' wildcat does not look that much different from the old RN buggers with the three small windows on each side door!
Very dated, and not particularly pretty either
Still, as long as it is a quantum leap over its predecessor:E

Saintsman
12th Nov 2009, 19:00
Not only did it fly, but it flew on time (okay, an hour late) and iaw 'The Plan'.

Given all the goings on at Airbus and Boeing, it's a rare achievement these days.

Well done to all concerned.

John Farley
12th Nov 2009, 19:15
Tourist

In my book there is no such thing as an ugly 'she' - provided the she behaves and performs better than all the other ones.

the funky munky
12th Nov 2009, 20:54
Glad to see she has flown, although it would have been nice for AW and the Project Team to have invited the people who helped get her to this point to attend.

Just bitter as I didn't get an invite, the gits.

bakseetblatherer
12th Nov 2009, 22:45
As an ex-RN helo and ex-RAF FJ guy, I have little idea what the Lynx does in the Army, I mean I can see what the Apache does. And the amount of troops and gear that the Chinook (and to lesser extents) Merlin and Sea King is obvious. But having buzzed around in a Naval Lynx I know there ain't room for much.

So can an Army type enlighten me, what do the Lynx guys spend their days doing. Honest, this is not a troll:)

EDIT: The Army website says: "...a wide variety of roles and tasks. It is predominantly a battlefield utility helicopter..." doesn't specify much!
Although I see it has at least top level important task: "This makes it the centrepiece of Army Aviation display flying." ;)

Clockwork Mouse
13th Nov 2009, 06:55
BSB

In my day the Army used its organic (meaning they were located with the troops, were immediately available and quick to respond to tasking) light utility helicopters for a number of important tasks on the battlefield. These included:
Observation and reconnaissance
Fire and offensive air control (FOO and FAC)
Command and control
Movement of small combat groups and important equipment around the battlefield.
I would imagine that most still apply today.

HaveQuick2
13th Nov 2009, 07:00
BSB

In my day the Army used its organic (meaning they were located with the troops, were immediately available and quick to respond to tasking) light utility helicopters for a number of important tasks on the battlefield. These included:
Observation and reconnaissance
Fire and offensive air control (FOO and FAC)
Command and control
Movement of small combat groups and important equipment around the battlefield.
I would imagine that most still apply today.

You missed out Pizza delivery

Clockwork Mouse
13th Nov 2009, 07:06
I think you have made that joke before (yawn).

bast0n
13th Nov 2009, 10:05
Barnstormer
Still, as long as it is a quantum leap over its predecessor

"In real physical systems a quantum leap is not necessarily a large change, and can in fact be very insignificant"

Goodness me, I am getting seriously boring, but there it is....................:ok:

Hope you are right.

leopold bloom
13th Nov 2009, 10:51
A rose by any other name.......
The New AW159 Takes To The Air | AgustaWestland (http://www.agustawestland.com/news/new-aw159-takes-air)

barnstormer1968
13th Nov 2009, 12:12
bastOn

Thank you for that, and I am now correctly informed.

Sadly though, my tongue was in my cheek as I typed that last bit of the post, and I was thinking more of how there will be fewer cabs available, and they will have less room inside, and be able to do fewer jobs over the battlefield IMHO.

The Lynx has IMHO always been a good naval helicopter (and its export sales suggest this too), but then a lack of being able to carry a stretcher straight into the naval version was hardly going to be a major issue, but with thirty odd years of development for the army version, it is still a feature sadly lacking (unlike most of it's real competitors (and even the Scout could just get one in with door blisters...in the 1960's)).

Sorry if my earlier comments mislead you about my feelings for this purchase.
But I can't see how this order helps British jobs either, bearing in mind that the very same Westlands staff could have been building UK Blackhawks, with British engine fit (bearing in mind the differing performances of UK and U.S made apaches). I realise that politics (military and governmental) are the real driver behind this order, but am allowing myself to live in a dreamworld, where actual needs and capability would be the placed in front of political image.

Off into a corner to have stern words with myself, for showing idealism:(

bast0n
13th Nov 2009, 12:25
Barnstormer

Oh for Black Hawks even now..........................

I would love to know the costings on this new Lynx - probably cheaper to have built Black Hawks, even with the amazing costings of the well known garage door builder:)

XR219
13th Nov 2009, 13:59
Always thought "Lynx Wildcat" was a bit of a daft name... after all lynxes and wildcats are two different kinds of cats altogether! Either one or t'other, both is just silly. Glad they've sorted it now :ok:

barnstormer1968
13th Nov 2009, 14:14
bastOn.
A while back another poster did mention the differing costings, as well as a too good to be true offer to buy Blackhawks direct from the U.S.

I don't remember though if that deal was as a Puma replacement.

I know others here have a far more info than me on this subject, and may choose to post it (if they feel it doesn't detract from the wildcat news).

glad rag
13th Nov 2009, 15:55
Barnstormer, FYI..

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/pedros.htm

Gnd
13th Nov 2009, 20:02
Wildcat Mk1 vid available at post #9

barnstormer1968
13th Nov 2009, 20:02
glad rag

Thanks for that:ok:.
I read that one a while back. Yon is the only reporter that I bother to read/watch now. He seems to know his stuff, and comes across as very fair and unbiased.
It's just a shame he has been recently shafted by the MOD.

vecvechookattack
13th Nov 2009, 21:25
but then a lack of being able to carry a stretcher straight into the naval version was hardly going to be a major issue

There is no need to carry a stretcher in a Naval Lynx. Why would you want that requirement?

Gnd
14th Nov 2009, 07:21
Just to confirm, without full seating - a stretcher will fit, in any varient. Even more medics will fit when you want to get them there fast, a good use of the Wildcat.

colonel cluster
14th Nov 2009, 07:23
Damn Vec, I hope I never have the misfortune to serve in an FF/DD with you! Why is it that small ships flights never drop below Alert 45? Casevac/SAR....thats right! Hope you never break a leg on board (someone is likely to push you down a hatch at some point wth the amount of garbage you utter!) Ah, sorry, can't fly you off "there is no need to carry a stretcher on board a Navy Lynx"

With the amount of bo^*")ks spouted by you in the last few hours on a number of threads (Dust Landings, Aircrewmans roles etc) anyone would think you are a bitterly twisted chopped ATC, with no idea of aviation, certainly in the maritime environment.

Ever thought of becoming a pusser?

You give the FAA a bad name, now sod off!

Grrrrr, and its not even 9am!

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2009, 09:07
If you want to fit a stretcher in the aircraft you are going to need to build a bigger aircraft. The Lightweight stretcher doesn't fit in the back of a Maritime Lynx without having the need to remove seats. If you remove the seats there is nowhere for anyone to sit. It is possible to winch using a Lightweight stretcher but it then means that the rescue hoist is in the way of the casualty. The last "Casualty" who was flown inside a stretcher inside an RN Lynx ended up with a broken nose for his troubles because the winch hook twatted him on the bonce. The aim is to transfer the casualty from a hostile environment to the safety of a medical facility....not to injury him in the process.

Charlie Time
14th Nov 2009, 09:54
You can't account for poor hoist control.

barnstormer1968
14th Nov 2009, 10:05
vecvechookattack (http://www.pprune.org/members/108038-vecvechookattack)

I think you mis understood my post.

I was pointing out that the lack of being able to put a stretcher straight into a naval lynx* was not a problem, whereas it would be with an army one, as it may need to land as then take off much more rapidly.

I realise that navy personnel need stretchers too, but then for many jobs, the helicopter may be able to land on board ship, or have time to winch and then swing the stretcher around inside the cab.

*Please, no one take any offence at the term navy lynx. I was thinking of the lynx in its strictly naval role, rather than the way it can also operate in support of ground troops, or as used by the Royal Marines.

Gnd
14th Nov 2009, 12:16
Chaps, just to confirm - the Wildcat is a Wildcat, it will do the same thing regardless of pilot colour (the ac are the same colour). The Army are well versed in taking casualties (picking them up I mean) and have done for years.

It is a fast (faster than the old Lynx) utility (define that as you like) and 'could' be fitted as a strike ac (Navy will be - let’s see how long Gen Melchett takes to put them on the Army Wildcat?) so making it an agile, cheap (compared to an AH), fully glass with top end EO (been proved the lookdown has little problems) aircraft that can find even the coldest of baddie. It can use comms with crew or pax to assist the task and can fly 365 days per year now, regardless of heat. It will do more than 90kts, break less than it's bigger brother, cost 'A LOT' less to maintain the the UH60 and above all else - is a real wheeze to fly (well should be if it is like it’s parent).

Any questions?????:ok:

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2009, 12:40
Does it have an ESM? ECM ?

Helmet integration? Link 22? SATCOM? EPLRS? 2 sticks? Rescue hoist?

Above all do you think we will get a Mission Planning tool? (That doesn't look like AMPA)

Gnd
14th Nov 2009, 18:10
Does it have an ESM? ECM ?

Helmet integration? Link 22? SATCOM? EPLRS? 2 sticks? Rescue hoist?

Above all do you think we will get a Mission Planning tool? (That doesn't look like AMPA)Yes, Yes (of sorts) but it isnt a sentinal.
Helmet yes (but not bought them yet) 22 - fitted for, yes, don't know what they are?, yes - if you want to fit them (Army - yes), hoist - again yes.

MPS - yes, son of and fully functioning.

Any more not classified?:ok:

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2009, 18:19
Brilliant....now how about a couple of Simulators..? I understand that nobody has thought about how we are going to train people yet? In Fact the TNA has yet to be completed.

Gnd
14th Nov 2009, 18:27
Plan for 3 and the TNA has been completed. They are very much looking at how to train the crews but with a year or 2 to sort it - I have confidence.

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2009, 18:34
Cool....Good news about the simulators.... Thompson I hope.....the TNA hasn't been completed yet as it was still be worked on last Wednesday (prior to the big Mess Dinner) however, I am assured by the people in charge that it is in the final throes of being ready for the assessment.

And if I ever waste another minute of my life with that team from Yeovil I will scream.

Gnd
14th Nov 2009, 18:37
You know more than me but I saw it being signed off months ago. The products of the TNA are not complete yet but will be soon.

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2009, 18:40
All we have to do now is find somewhere for it to live...... But thats my job.... Southside or Northside......?

Gnd
14th Nov 2009, 18:44
Then I hope you win quickly, it is a distarction everyone could do without. It's always colder in the North!

Seaking93
14th Nov 2009, 19:25
All we have to do now is find somewhere for it to live...... But thats my job.... Southside or Northside......?

Can't go southside, where would all the private aircraft go?:)

the funky munky
14th Nov 2009, 19:41
I believe that Southside was always the plan for the Grey Lynx when they left Osprey, however somebody decided they couldn't have all the oiks together forming a "little Portland" thus they were split up.

Training and Support was always going to be contracted for after Main contract award. Although not this far after! Obviously there has been meddling from them Sky Gods in the Smoke. Who I believe couldn't organise the proverbial!

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2009, 21:07
I think that you are right.... The Project Belvedere Office are currently working hard on a solution which is almost definitely going to mean that the Wildcat will be on the Southside

diginagain
15th Nov 2009, 01:00
There is a stretcher fit available for the AH7 and 9, with which you can carry three recumbent casualties and a small nurse.

The nurse needs to be handy with a tenon saw however, as the gadgy who designed the GS stretcher back in the Boer War made it 8 inches too long to fit into the cabin and get the doors shut.

vecvechookattack
15th Nov 2009, 10:14
with which you can carry three recumbent casualties and a small nurse

I think I know her.... Did she work at Haslar?

Gnd
15th Nov 2009, 10:29
I quite like the idea of a small nurse - can we lose the Door Gunner please?

diginagain
15th Nov 2009, 11:47
Sounds like a fair exchange to me........:ok:

Stressless
15th Nov 2009, 14:00
I used to fit those stretchers for a role demonstration in the late 80's early 90's. It wasn't done in a hurry as you had to remove (and later replace) the sound proofing to locate the upright's and webbing straps. We even took them on exercise and deployments, but thankfully were never used in my Squadron.

vecvechookattack
15th Nov 2009, 17:43
It wasn't done in a hurry as you had to remove (and later replace) the sound proofing to locate the upright's and webbing straps

My point exactly......its such a bloomin faff fitting a stretcher that by the time is ready the casualty has often recovered.

Gnd
16th Nov 2009, 16:48
Quite quick if it is aircrew putting them in - not very sympathetic in their approach!!!! south in bounds again - how's town?

Hueymeister
16th Nov 2009, 21:07
Other than the odd lump and bump...it's still a lynx..hope it floats better than the original 1...:}:sad: