PDA

View Full Version : Tickets for Troops

orgASMic
12th Nov 2009, 16:10
"On Monday David Cameron launched this new initiative for serving personnel. Basically FREE tickets are being made available to serving personnel for many sporting events such as premier league football matches, cricket, athletics and so on. These are being supported by personnel such as Ian Botham, Gary Lineker and Simon Cowell!!!
In order for soldiers to apply for any tickets they should visit www.ticketsfortroops.org.uk (http://www.ticketsfortroops.org.uk/) and register…full details of availability will then be given to them.
This is an initiative open to all serving personnel in the UK and therefore tickets that do become available will be in demand."

For 'soldiers' read 'airmen/sailors/marines'. Tickets will cost you just a pound each, which goes to Service charities and is also open to ex-servicepersons.

:ok:

TheOptimist
12th Nov 2009, 16:25
This is excellent, very glad for this.

However, what a muppet Cameron is. I bet it took him all the strength in the world not to reveal this initiative on remembrance sunday! I hope the scheme continues after he takes the next general election, and that it's not just a popularity scheme.

Hell, who am I kidding. Of course it's a popularity scheme. It's nothing but a popularityscheme. Won't complain about the principal though. Good good.

vecvechookattack
12th Nov 2009, 17:06
Great scheme.....but its hardly new..... I went to the FA Cup in 2007 courtesy of free tickets and my oppo goes to Wimbledon every year with free tickets ....

teeteringhead
12th Nov 2009, 19:25
There used to be a scheme in London too vecvec ... IIRC we got tickets for West End shows for £1 (they were actually given free I think, but the cash went to Service Charities) ... some good shows too ...

... until some turkey was found out flogging the tickets off to tourists and touts :ugh:

he was CM'd ... and then the scheme was stopped. Let's hope it works this time...

barotraumatized
12th Nov 2009, 21:29
Forgive my cynicism, but, can we be sure this isn't some well thought out scam to ensure we give away ALL of our personal details? Name, Address, Service Number, Unit. What more could the budding terrorist cum internet entrepeneur wish for?

StopStart
13th Nov 2009, 04:03
can we be sure this isn't some well thought out scam

Yes

Forgive my cynicism

No

:zzz:

kaikohe76
13th Nov 2009, 06:25
Many moons ago when I first joined the Forces in the mid sixties, we had special `Forces` tickets on British Rail, I think 15 / 20 % was often the discount & very popular they were. Of course back in those days we had a rail service of sorts & a Government who took at least a passing interest in the Military.

viz
13th Nov 2009, 07:18
The HM Forces Railcard offers 1/3 off fares and has been around for at least 20 years - I remember using it shortly after I joined, it cost £2/year!

ProfessionalStudent
13th Nov 2009, 07:56
I think it's 12 quid now...

barotraumatized
13th Nov 2009, 08:47
StopStart:

Don't be such a old stuck in the mud. Info Ops is the future you ignoramus. Why have we not been asked to register AT work, possibly through DII, for example.

StopStart
13th Nov 2009, 10:09
Is it reeeeally...? I suspect that even if I registered on DII whilst cammed up, under cover of darkness they'd still need my address to send the tickets to... :hmm:

I suppose when you registered for, say, car insurance you didn't tell them you were in the military?

By the way, I believe the phrase is "stick in the mud".

Another pprune thread takes an unexpected hard left turn at the lights.... :rolleyes:

PPRuNe Pop
13th Nov 2009, 11:05
Yes! And it can stop right now. I have benefited from these kindnesses in the past and you might care to remember that one should be gracious. They don't have to do it - so just be thankful.

By the by, you probably haven't been asked to register at work 'cos it is easier to do it direct.

Charlie Time
13th Nov 2009, 15:48
£15 now for a rail card.

foldingwings
13th Nov 2009, 20:37
and is also open to ex-servicepersons

Not exactly correct.

From the website:

All serving military personnel and any veterans who have been medically discharged through injury since 2001 qualify for tickets.

Foldie

vecvechookattack
13th Nov 2009, 21:37
suppose when you registered for, say, car insurance you didn't tell them you were in the military?

I mentioned it to Zurich and got 10% off..... Fab :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok: