PDA

View Full Version : How Flexible are the Regionals to work for?

AllInGoodTime
11th Nov 2009, 22:44
I know this is a bit of a strange question, but you guys/gals who fly for regional airlines eg Qantaslink, REX etc. How flexible as employers are they. If you need time off are they supportive, if you have a family and need a work life balance do you find them supportive?

This is not a wind up, I would appreciate some genuine responses on how you find these employers.

Cheers

HEALY
11th Nov 2009, 23:00
If you require time off for compassionate reasons then you will find that any respectable Regional will permit time off as required, the time off given may not necessarily seem to long when you read certain contracts but still its a comprimise.

Time off for other reasons such as mates weddings and important family meetings (airline interviews ;)) will generally depend on the crewing levels at the time. 2 years ago most places were short staffed and frequent roster changes were the norm and planning anything was difficult. Again it depends on the crewing roster practices. ie is reserve or standby used to fill up any day you dont work!!!

A couple of places I know of (on the west coast) are deperate for crews to take leave and time off because of over crewing, this wont last for much onger however as we enter the next wave of movement.

To consider a balance for family time you need to research the company themselves and the types of rosters they have. A regional that does alot of RPT will mean alot of weekend work and possible o nights where as those doing more CHTR for minining industry will have you home most nights (unless you go u/s) and weekends off.

Goodluck

grrowler
12th Nov 2009, 01:32
From my experience in a large regional, for one off's you can have reasonable success if you go through your manager.

On a regular basis (eg I want every 2nd Friday off to pick up the kids), not a chance in hell. It's "too hard" and they really couldn't be bothered. I found roster requests had about a 40% success rate, in fact I have heard people say if you really need a specific day off, you're better off not telling a soul and then going sick. Bad attitude I know, but a by-product of the culture from the top.

In a 28 day roster, you will get 8 days off, have single days off, work 6 straight on occasion, and be away at least 1 night/ week. You could sign on a early as 5am, and finish as late as 10pm.

To be honest, I don't think there would be many flexible airlines out there, and if you're expecting them to be, you're going to be disappointed. You and your family are the ones that are going to need to be flexible. Not saying it's all bad, but it requires a different outlook on how you plan your life.