PDA

View Full Version : What's BT ISP like these days

BusyB
11th Nov 2009, 18:11
Looking at changing from Orange. I think I prefer an all in one package. No cable here. Mac OSX
Any opinions please.:confused:

spannersatcx
11th Nov 2009, 18:13
Been with BT for a few years, had a problem once, which was sorted very quickly, up to 8mb normally around 5mb, can't complain.

green granite
11th Nov 2009, 18:32
Been with them for yonks, their help desk is brilliant if a bit over attentive (they have rung me back everyday for a week to make sure the exchange problems have been cured. (speed was going down to less than a meg in the evenings as opposed to 7,5megs during the day) An engineer came out and checked the line over also changed the master skt to a broadband one that doesn't need filters. And I live in a relatively small village. :ok:

Blues&twos
11th Nov 2009, 20:41
We've had BT for several years on Bb. Always found them very good.

Only had one problem, a mistake was made when we moved 2 years ago which meant we lost our Bb connection 5 days before we moved and had to use dial up. When I phoned them they immediately apologised for the error and credited my account with £40 as compensation.

Helpline when troubleshooting has been very helpful too (hence the name "Helpline" I suppose), even though the only times I've used it the problem has been down to something daft I've done at my end.

mustpost
11th Nov 2009, 21:13
Me too, once re-configured wireless codes remotely from Dehli (!), try to get the very best deal for your buck tho; they're trying to be competitive

Mike-Bracknell
11th Nov 2009, 23:17
I'm not allowed to swear on here am I?

They are UTTERLY UTTERLY horrendous. The only ISP i've ever written to OFCOM about.

Maybe if you only have a need to talk to them once in a blue moon you'll talk to someone who cares, but if you have a job like mine when you get to talk to them on a regular basis you'll find a company who has no ingrained customer service expertise, no idea of what the left and right hand are doing, and a management culture of misinformation and obstruction.

AVOID!

P.Pilcher
12th Nov 2009, 11:37
www.plus.com (http://www.plus.com): Owned by BT but seem to be totally independent. I have had no problems with their help facilities (all British) and they often receive press accolades with regard to quality and value for money. Been using them ever since my village went broadband over five years ago.
Highly recommended.

P.P.

BusyB
12th Nov 2009, 16:37
Thanks guys. I'll get a quote.:ok:
Mike-B who don't you have to talk to then? Is there one you recommend?:confused:

Ancient Observer
12th Nov 2009, 17:00
Long term BB customer with them.
I rate them highly. "Assistance" is via an 0800 number, and roughly Half the time you get great help from this number. The other half is not so good, so if you speak to a non-customer oriented moron, ring off and start again.
Their Retail lot are about to do a serious, whole Top team Strategy Review. I think they are going to set themselves even higher Customer Service targets. They could get better.

Mike-Bracknell
12th Nov 2009, 22:02
Thanks guys. I'll get a quote.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
Mike-B who don't you have to talk to then? Is there one you recommend?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Have a look at thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL comparison & review website (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/) for unbiased reviews etc.

Personally, whilst my own company offers broadband, I have a lot of time for Be & Eclipse, and if you have an O2 phone or Sky TV then O2 or Sky broadband are decent enough in terms of cost whilst still sitting above BT for customer service (albeit lower than dedicated ISPs such as Be/Eclipse).

Aerouk
13th Nov 2009, 14:54
O2 owns BE so they offer a similar service (which is pretty good).

mixture
13th Nov 2009, 15:25
What's BT ISP like these days

The same as it's always been ....

The answer is in the initials....

B****Y TERRIBLE.....:ok:

Amongst various reasons I could give, one is that I know a handful of people actively looking to leave them.

For a better ISP, I would suggest Zen. Top notch !

(No I don't have any reason to suggest Zen, not an employee or anything..... I've just had nothing but good experiences out of them.... plus they have a 100% UK based support operation staffed by people who do not read off scripts !)

mixture
13th Nov 2009, 15:29
they have rung me back everyday for a week to make sure the exchange problems have been cured

They probably only did that because someone forgot to close your support ticket and they're looking to keep the stats up by closing off tickets ASAP. Hence they keep on pestering you :cool:

green granite
13th Nov 2009, 20:00
No they rang me back because I asked them too later in the week but they did it everyday instead, they always keep the fault support ticket open for 1 week after the Engineers been, then, if you don't ring, they assume it's ok and close it automatically.

G-CPTN
13th Nov 2009, 20:11
So what was the problem, green granite?

Saw an Openwoe engineer up the distribution pole at the top of the street surrounded by 'tails' earlier today but I couldn't ask him what was wrong (he was too high up and the cherry-picker engine was running at ground level). I expected my phone being cut off, but nothing happened.

green granite
13th Nov 2009, 20:39
So what was the problem, green granite?

Basically the Exchange equipment was being overloaded, due to a faulty rack which they had to take out of service. They've moved my circuit onto a lightly used rack and, so far, my speed now only drops to about 6Megs in the evening instead of less than 1meg.

jimtherev
17th Nov 2009, 08:15
Interestingly, I've just encountered BT's helpline: the verdict was 'very helpful'. Briefly, I was installing a Linksys wireless router to replace a BT modem which was faulty, and (although I downloaded the quick install guide from Linksys) had an acute case of the stupids. Just couldn't get the thing to work.

The guy from India - script or not, I don't care - was most patient and to the point; tolerated my continuing stupidity. A couple of times I admitted to making a complete hash and offered to ring off, reset the router and get back to him, but oh no, he insisted that his job was to help me make it work. After 20 minutes we connected.

I'd like to boast that it was all my own work, but in this case that would be a barefaced lie. Thank you BT.

mixture
17th Nov 2009, 08:19
jimtherev,

Well, I suppose if you've got a few million customers it must be statistically possible to have one or two happy ones. :cool:

Well done Jim on getting it fixed, and in the interests of equality and PC equal opportunity thanks for balancing out this thread in favour of BT.

Personally though, I'm still with Mike-Bracknell and others in the too many negative impressions camp.

As the saying goes ..... once bitten twice shy ..... and I've pretty much encountered a swarm.... :E

green granite
17th Nov 2009, 08:42
Well, I suppose if you've got a few million customers it must be statistically possible to have one or two happy ones.

Mixture, the converse is also true

mixture
17th Nov 2009, 10:03
Mixture, the converse is also true

Oh green granite.... of course I know that ..... my original statemet was made in jest, obviously perhaps too well disguised as a statement that appeared factual.

Look, all well and good if you are a BT supporter. However I talk to many ISPs on a regular basis and BT always seem to end up smelling like something you just trod in.

Compared to Easynet, Zen and a few others that I could care to mention, there always seems to be a vast difference.