PDA

View Full Version : Ops Procedures questions

MalteseJambo
11th Nov 2009, 10:01
Hi All,

Just had my ATPL Ops procedures exam and there was a few questions which perhaps you lot can help me with:

1. There was a question asking there need to be a certain amount of passengers before a member of cabin crew is required on a flight.

The options were (if i remember) 9 passengers/MTOW > 5,700, 19 passengers MTOW> 5,700. Unfortunatly i can't remember the other two options but no doubt they were something similar to the two above options.

2. Questions about Noise abaitment! I'll tell you how i understand the two procedures and then correct me if im wrong: Procedure 1 seems to be pretty straight forward: Reduce power at min 800ft, max 1,500, flaps at 3,000.
Procedure 2 is a bit more confusing; reduce pitch at 800 min, but when is power/flaps reduced?

Also, ive seen a few questions quoteing 1,000 ft instead of 800, if there was a question on the exam with both options which is the more correct?

Thanks in advance
Any ideas?

Daniel777
11th Nov 2009, 10:58
Hi,

I am not sure about the second one but for the first one the correct answer is: You need a cabin crew member if the numer of passengers is 18 or more.I think there was only one choice with that number.The others were 9 pax.

Danny

John Alcock
11th Nov 2009, 18:08
Cabin Crew Members:
You only need one passenger to require a cabin crew member.
JAR-OPS 1 Subpart O 1.990(a) explains it all. (Or EU-OPS, same reference.)
The determining factor is maximum approved passenger seating configuration. If your aircraft has 19 passenger seats and one passenger, a cabin crew member is required. The MAUW is irrelevant.

Noise Abatement:
ICAO Doc 8168 Part 1 Section 7 Chapter 3 Appendix 1 describes in detail the two noise abatement techniques.
NADP 1 (Close in sensitive area): Min height 800' reduce power, leave flaps in T/O position, climb at V2 + 10~20kts. Accelerate and clean-up at 3000'.
NADP 2 (Distant sensitive area) Min height 800' accelerate to Vzf and reduce power with first stage of flap/slat retraction or after flap/slat retraction. Climb at Vzf + 10~20kts until reaching 3000'.

Hope that helps, if it doubt, look it up in the source material!

MalteseJambo
15th Nov 2009, 18:04
Thanks for that guys; Sorry to be pedantic but if i had an aircraft configured for just 9 seats, yet i had one or more passengers, would i still require a cabin crew member? Because as you said John, if one passenger is present then a cabin crew is required...so what difference does it make what the configuration number is ? I've tried reading the JAR OPS but still unsure .

selfin
16th Nov 2009, 03:54
MJ,

EU Member States may make regulations going beyond the requirements made under EU-OPS. Regarding the UK (applicable to aircraft registered in the UK) the national authority (CAA) may direct operators, in the interest of safety, to carry in addition to the minimum required crew members such extra crew members as specified in any such direction - C.f. Air Navigation Order 2005, Art. 25(15) (http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&title=air+navigation+order&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&TYPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=2427490&ActiveTextDocId=2427578&filesize=10732).

A similar provision is bound to exist in equivalent national legislation across the union. Your Ops exam concentrates on EU-OPS however and national practices (of the state regulating the exam) are relegated to Air Law.

EU-OPS does not (yet) require operators to carry cabin crew members on board aircraft with a maximum approved passenger seating configuration of equal to, or fewer than, 19.

Refer to EU-OPS (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:254:0001:0238:EN:PDF)[¹][²] :

OPS 1.990 - Number and composition of cabin crew

(a) An operator shall not operate an aeroplane with
a maximum approved passenger seating configuration
of more than 19, when carrying one or more passengers,
unless at least one cabin crew member is included in
the crew for the purpose of performing duties, specified
in the Operations Manual, in the interests of the safety
of passengers.

[...]

-----

OPS 1.990 - Numero e composizione d’equipaggio di cabina

a) L’operatore non deve impiegare un velivolo con
una configurazione massima approvata di posti passeggeri
superiore a 19, se trasporta uno o più passeggeri, a meno
che nell’equipaggio non sia presente almeno un membro
d’equipaggio di cabina incaricato di svolgere compiti legati
alla sicurezza dei passeggeri e specificati nel manuale delle
operazioni.

[...]

----------

[¹] COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 859/2008 of 20 August 2008
amending Council Regulation (EEC) No 3922/91 as regards common
technical requirements and administrative procedures applicable to
commercial transportation by aeroplane - Annex III ("EU-OPS")
[²] Versione italiana. (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:254:0001:0238:IT:PDF)