PDA

View Full Version : So, I take it Aircraft recognition is not a strong point in the Senior Service.

NutLoose
10th Nov 2009, 21:48
Shame they cannot recognise one of their own LOL :}
See

Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/sea-vampire-taking-off)

Not only that, it would appear they are lobbing it off the blunt end of the boat and the coal hole has mysteriously moved across to the port side of the "Sea Vampire" :p ;)

Perhaps that is why they introduced the ramp on the pointy end of the boat, to show them which end they should use :p

Must be all that Rum, Bum and Baccy has muddled the old brain cells.....:D:D:D

Awwww, you can even send it as an ecard to really show the Navy at it's finest :E

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/Catherine_6_08.jpg

Finnpog
10th Nov 2009, 22:02
dh.110 WG240?

vecvechookattack
10th Nov 2009, 22:27
Having been in the RN for a number of years I wish I knew what you were talking about. Whats the Blunt end ? Whats the coal hole?

NutLoose
10th Nov 2009, 22:32
Yup Finnpog :)

Having been in the RN for a number of years I wish I knew what you were talking about. Whats the Blunt end ? Whats the coal hole?

Back end of your boats are the blunt end, pointy end goes through water easier.......... thought they would teach you that! :p

Coal hole in the Vixen was a position in it that was so dark it got the nickname

Union Jack
11th Nov 2009, 00:07
Back end of your boats are the blunt end, pointy end goes through water easier.......... thought they would teach you that!

Tut, tut, Nuts! You really must try harder, since "boats" is an expression that applies strictly to submarines in the relevant context, where the converse is true. Bit like most fish really, or indeed most aircraft!:ok:

Jack

Flight Detent
11th Nov 2009, 01:23
Looks to me like this is a landing "fly by"...

I don't recall ever seeing that much deck (read 'runway') under the nose of ANY airplane taking off from a carrier!

Cheers...FD...:)

Blacksheep
11th Nov 2009, 06:50
Aircraft recognition in the Royal Navy has always been good. If it looks like an aeroplane, it probably is an aeroplane so you must shoot at it. During live firing exercises they were notorious for shooting at the target tug instead of waiting until the target came along. Out at Changi, 1574 TFF had a few patches in the tail ends (blunt ends for Nuts) of their Meatboxes from hits scored by naval gunners.

I think that aircraft carrier skippers lock all their gunners in the hangar when they conduct flying operations. ;)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Nov 2009, 07:00
This is all too common on all 3 Sites. Let's flood the dear souls;
Please click here to enter your comments about the website (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/contact/comment-on-the-website/)
It might wake them up.

henry crun
11th Nov 2009, 07:03
During WW2 Churchill and other military advisors were going to the US by battleship.
First night out and the VIPs were having dinner when all the AA guns started firing.

A short time later a junior officer poked his head around the door and said "captains compliments sir, nothing to worry about, it is one of ours we are shooting at".

BEagle
11th Nov 2009, 07:05
The photo is laterally inverted and shows the de Havilland Test Pilot Jock Elliot conducting flight deck evaluation trials with HMS Albion in September 1954 in WG240, a DH110 prototype. This aircraft did not have wingfold capability nor was the undercarriage strengthened for carrier deck operations. It did, however, conduct a few touch-and-go landings on Albion.

In 1955, XF828 the semi-navalised development 'Mk20X' aircraft flew and conducted full deck trials aboard HMS Ark Royal in April 1956 after successful trials at RAE Bedford.

XJ474, the first actual 'Vixen flew in 1957 and the type entered naval service in 1959 as the FAW.1 - later followed in 1964 by the improved FAW.2.

And 2 years later I was lucky enough to get a trip in the 'coal hole' of an early FAW.2 with 892 Sqn!

Data-Lynx
11th Nov 2009, 07:20
Sometimes, BEags, you are scary.

A Vampire should look like this.
http://www.btinternet.com/~a.c.walton/navy/faa/cvampire.jpg

vecvechookattack
11th Nov 2009, 08:15
You are assuming that aircraft always launch from the pointy end (Its called the Bow) but you may be surprised to learn that in general aircraft like to launch into wind. Now the clever thing with a ship is that it can move its bow so that it is pointing into wind. However, on occasions it may not be possible to move the bow and so the other clever thing is that aircraft can launch the other way...towards the Blunt end (Its called the stern).

Never assume anything other than an NBCD state

Anyway, what ever this aircraft is, did it carry any missiles..?

St Johns Wort
11th Nov 2009, 08:25
There's no need to be so 'stern' mate everybody knows that arrows are launched from a bow.............

Sailor Vee
11th Nov 2009, 08:41
FAW.1 - later followed in 1964 by the improved FAW.2.and always known as Fly Alternate Wednesdays ! :}

BEagle
11th Nov 2009, 09:16
vecvecwhatever, don't they teach naval history these days? Or did it stop with the rum ration.

Anyway, pull 'ee up a barrel an' have a twist o' rough shag while I tell 'ee a tale, ah-harr me heartie!

The Sea Vixen FAW.1 was a radar-equipped strike fighter which carried four Firestreak AAMs, two Microcell unguided 2 inch rocket packs and either 4 x 500 lb or 2 x 1000 bombs. The later FAW.2 could also carry the Red Top AAM, SNEB cans and the useless Bullpup air-to-ground missile. It also carried more fuel, but 1000 lb bombs were no longer be carried.

A proper naval aircraft from the days when the UK had real carriers and organic fixed wing aircraft.

Ah-harr. Now cut along an' ask the chief stoker to show 'ee the golden rivet....

Data-Lynx
11th Nov 2009, 09:35
GBZ. Had a prompt, polite apology with a thank you for the correction from their Web thingy. Good on 'em.

As a sprog, one of the Culdrose Ground School instructor observers had completed one tour on Vixen Mk1s and two on Mk2s. I regret that I did not realise at the time just what a true survivor that made him. He deserved serious respect!!

For BEags. Didn't the Mk1 have a nasty retractable rocket launcher underneath the nose that made returning onboard with a hang up almost lethal?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Nov 2009, 10:03
Indeed; the system works; Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/sea-vampire-taking-off) but now
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/Catherine_6_08_20091111094118.jpg
DH110 Sea Vixen conducting 'Touch and Go' roller landings

At least now it's more right than it was.

LowObservable
11th Nov 2009, 11:17
From an alleged WW2 RN recognition manual:

Monoplane, twin engines, single vertical fin - Junkers Ju88

Monoplane, twin engines, twin vertical fins - Dornier Do217

Monoplane, twin engines, triple vertical fins - enemy aircraft of unknown type

Kolibear
11th Nov 2009, 11:29
ISTR the standard RN recognition manual only listed three types:-

1. Aircraft approaching - hostile
2. Aircraft departing - friendly
3. Lysander

Cows getting bigger
11th Nov 2009, 11:36
Someone needs to tell that chap he has left his canopy open. :)

bast0n
11th Nov 2009, 12:04
How else is he going to get rid of his pack lunch bag.......?

EyesFront
11th Nov 2009, 12:46
1. Aircraft approaching - hostile
2. Aircraft departing - friendly
3. Lysander

Wonder how they classified the walrus.... presumably not as an aircraft!

Finnpog
11th Nov 2009, 14:47
And it is not a submarine, so cannot be a boat.

Maybe it was a ship or a launch (or a cutter or dinghy)

Finnpog
11th Nov 2009, 14:49
BZ to the matelot web master for the quick correction.

helen-damnation
11th Nov 2009, 15:09
Someone needs to tell that chap he has left his canopy open

Not much point, he can't hear you :uhoh:

How else is he going to get rid of his pack lunch bag.......?

Live firing is not permitted on the flight deck :O

spekesoftly
11th Nov 2009, 15:16
WG240, a DH110 prototype. This aircraft did not have wingfold capability nor was the undercarriage strengthened for carrier deck operations.Interesting to note that another website mentions no wingfold (or arrester hook), but states that WG240 was fitted with modified long-travel u/c oleos for those carrier touch and goes flown by Jock Elliot.

BEagle
11th Nov 2009, 15:36
Well, they've still got it wrong. The photo shows a prototype DH 110, not a Sea Vixen....:rolleyes:

The Microcell rocket packs didn't protrude very far below the fuselage - with them extended, it looked as though the aircraft was smiling!

Naval airspace co-ordination and recognition was always something of a joke on Ahhhrogerwaitout's JMC exercises. I well recall some U/T fighter director clearing a pair of Lightnings to engage the tanker from which they'd just refuelled...... At another debrief, the NATO AWACS representative was so fed up with the number of blue-on-blues that he announced that the next time they'd leg it, fly to the nearest AWACS base, fly an approach and then fly back again - this was before the days of those ugly haemorrhoidal SeaKings and after the days of Gannets, so pusser would be left without any long range radar cover whilst the AWACS was off-station. Best comment though came from the Dutch who, when asked who their biggest threat was likely to be in any future conflict, answered "The British Navy!".

Of course JMCs were only training exercises, so mistakes were often made. But good sources of banter!

On another occasion, a certain tanker captain, one Art Field as it happens, got so fed up with Ahhhrogerwaitout sending him into French airspace that he announced words to the effect of "That's twice you've turned us into French airspace without clearance, next time we'll dump and go home!".

Cows getting bigger
11th Nov 2009, 16:59
Difficult job, fighter control, I'm told. :}

deeceethree
11th Nov 2009, 18:49
So the fighter controllers keep telling us.:rolleyes:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Nov 2009, 21:28
BEagle. As I said, "At least now it's more right than it was". In my note to them, I did emphasise "a prototype DH110" and made a point of not mentioning Sea Vixen. Still, there we go.

Finnpog. I got an acknowledgement from the Website bashers as well. They are certainly not Service of any hue, least of all dark blue. The response was quite funny as there was a certain amount of pricklyness showing through. Before you ask, I was to the point and very polite.

Blacksheep
12th Nov 2009, 12:41
Its not just the Royal Navy that has problems with aircraft identification; the current issue of Royal Air Force News identifies a Hurricane as a Spitfire. :rolleyes:

Someone needs to tell that chap he has left his canopy open. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gifYou'll have to speak up a bit, I can't hear for all this wind!

Gainesy
12th Nov 2009, 14:26
However we have not yet resorted to bombing our own "runway"!

Neither has the RAF. Careful perusal of the linked article shows that the RAF cunningly bombed that flat-roof car ferry you call a carrier.:)

doubledolphins
12th Nov 2009, 14:40
Totally and utterly unrelated, but whilst your all there and in the spirit of inter service understanding. Why don't light blue greatcoats have a sword slit, as dark blue ones do? thus enabeling the wearer to keep his legs warm and dry on the odd occaision that you need to wear both items together.

orgASMic
12th Nov 2009, 14:54
Mine does, but then it is an ex-QCS one.

I take it you are referring to HM Flt Lt Wales showing a bit of leg at the Cenotaph this Remembrance Sunday?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
12th Nov 2009, 14:57
Could it be something to do with not normally being allowed to play with sharp objects?

doubledolphins
12th Nov 2009, 17:47
Yes Org. but I think you may be a bit premature, he is only HRH at the moment!

orgASMic
13th Nov 2009, 09:44
Mrs O might agree with you there, DD.:rolleyes:

He might have a long wait to get the top job.

saudih
18th Nov 2009, 07:56
Your Royal Highness, Ministers,..... ladies, gentlemen and officers of the royal navy......

I thought you dark blue types had to drag you swords around anyway so you could always get at them from under your coat tails...... spithead and all that! :suspect:

Also you submariners will need to change your "wings" to a representation of the King on his wedding night.........;)

bobward
19th Nov 2009, 13:12
Going back to an earlier comment on target tugs, and Her Majesty's finest in dark blue. This is probably a well known tale, but here goes.

A certain Aussie pilot was dragging a big yellow sleeve up and down the South Coast, whilst the blokes in dark blue tried to make holes in it. After a while the gunners started to get a bit close to said Aussie.

Common sense, and better marksmanship, ensued after the following laconic radio call;
"I'd like to remind you dozy b**stards that I'm pulling this thing, and not bl**dy pushing it...."

He'd never be allowed to say that today would he? It's totally non-pc.....

NutLoose
20th Nov 2009, 00:23
Nuts

The RN media may have made a slight mistake on the identification of a long gone airframe, it is fortunate for us that a spotter like you exists to put them right. However we have not yet resorted to bombing our own "runway"!

Guideweapons
Fair play and credit where credit is due, however.............

The Fairey Swordfish (http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avsword.html)

Fifteen Swordfish were launched by the carrier ARK ROYAL that day, but attacked the British cruiser SHEFFIELD by mistake. Fortunately, another error balanced the first: the aircrafts' torpedoes had been armed with magnetic detonators, which were hopelessly unreliable, and the SHEFFIELD, maneuvering wildly in rough seas, escaped unscathed.

And sadly HMS Trinidad that torpedoed and sank itself

HMS Trinidad (http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Wembury/HMSTrinidad.htm)