PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand 777 HKG layover?

Yorkielondon
10th Nov 2009, 20:01
Sorry in advance for a bit of a nerdy timetable following question...Air New Zealand cut their HKG-LHR 777 service to 5 p/week for winter sched from daily but the AKL-HKG remains daily...all timings remain standard. My question is that by my estimates they must now layover a 777 for almost 36 hours twice per week in HKG?

Anyone know if this right-seems amazing to leave an aircraft downroute for that long (as a good ex network planner!)

Hartington
11th Nov 2009, 08:35
Who does the maintenance on ANZ aircraft? Could the time be used to put it into HAECO for some work?

Oh, and when I went that way back in January (09) it was a 747, not a 777 but that's a niypick.

rgsaero
11th Nov 2009, 16:06
Don't know about the maintenance etc, but it IS a 777 on that route now. They stopped using a 747 sometime before April when I booked through to AKL on that route - traveling next week. And it's a pain!:confused:

Premium economy was well worth it on the 747 as one was on the top deck. Now in the 777 there are a few seats in the main (only) cabin and I suspect that it won't be such a good experience, and having done LHR - AKL return 24 times in the last 26 years a good experience is VERY MUCH better than an average one!
rgsaero

ExXB
11th Nov 2009, 18:31
If you look at the schedules you see that the aircraft remains on the ground for the same amount of time it would have taken to travel to Heathrow and back. I think this is the only way that they can maintain daily service AKL-HKG-AKL (at common departure/arrival times) while reducing HKG-LHR-HKG to 5X.

If the Tuesday AKL-HKG service came back without the ground stop you would end up with 2 flights HKG-AKL on Wed. and nothing on Thursday.

There could also be some crew issues and, as suggested, an opportunity for some regular maintenance.

Pax Vobiscum
12th Nov 2009, 22:17
NZ regularly switch between 777/747 on this route and also the NZ1/2 (LHR-LAX-AKL) in line with predictable seasonal traffic patterns.

PV (timetable nerd)

Wycombe
13th Nov 2009, 09:52
Yep, the switch this time was at the start of the Northern Summer season (end of March).

I travelled RTW with NZ back in Jan/Feb, and it was the 777 on LHR-LAX-AKL on the way out and the 744 via HKG on the way back. At that time the aircraft continued to LHR daily.

Did it all in Economy (and with 2 kids), all quite bearable if you adopt the correct mindset. Very good AVOD IFE and economy legroom on NZ :ok: