PDA

View Full Version : Flying club/school car parking charges

DB6
10th Nov 2009, 11:37
Our local club at Dundee is just about to be crippled by the imposition of airport parking charges by the operator, HIAL. Over the years I have flown from many clubs all over the UK but have never had to pay to park at those clubs. Is this still the normal state of affairs? I am not talking about airline passengers but club members/visitors.

BackPacker
10th Nov 2009, 11:55
My club (based at Rotterdam) pays a fixed yearly fee to the airport authorities for the use of "our" parking space. This is passed on to the members via the annual membership fees.

Katamarino
10th Nov 2009, 13:52
Does that mean I can get a refund from the club if I don't own a car? :}

(In all honesty, the membership charges at Rotterdam are surprisingly low for a club at a big airport, and with a great fleet!)

Nearly There
10th Nov 2009, 14:01
Sounds like the rot is creeping in, Barton (Manchester) a small GA grass strip airfield has a barrier to get in and out, and charges to park.

I feel sorry for the people who dont fly, but used to come along and spend their money in the cafe and watch the airfield operations.

It may generate a new income stream for them (Peel Holdings) but it also restricts another...greedy

140KIAS
10th Nov 2009, 17:02
I suspect the problem at Dundee maybe that due to its proximity to the city centre, many commuters may be availing themselves of free parking.

Perhaps the solution would be for the flying school operator to negotiate some sort of deal for club members.

On second thoughts Im getting delusional. More likely they're taking a cut.

silverknapper
10th Nov 2009, 17:54
Unfortunately DB6 this seems to be yet another example of HIAL's blatant anti GA stance. I am apalled by this, after all would Dundee even still exist were it not for the Tayside presence over the last few decades. Unfortunately Mr Lying seems determined to squeeze pennies out of every possible orifice.

Ryan5252
10th Nov 2009, 18:34
How many members do you have? It sounds like you certainly have a a case for discrimination against the members or 'residents' of the airport. I would be asking the club to appeal it but sadly there is very little you can do in any case. This is absolutely disgraceful behavior!
If you (or the club) are members you should look to AOPA to get involved.

(From their website www.oapa.co.uk)
AOPA promotes your right to fly and aim to:
- Increase your freedom to fly
- Combat increases in costs
- Fight for your rights

Best of luck anyway!

BHenderson
10th Nov 2009, 22:17
Maybe get some parking permits?

42psi
11th Nov 2009, 08:59
Sounds like the rot is creeping in, Barton (Manchester) a small GA grass strip airfield has a barrier to get in and out, and charges to park.

I think it's free for the first 30 mins and £2.00 after that..... motorbikes are free.

'India-Mike
11th Nov 2009, 18:04
Must be a Dundee thing. After a sim trip yesterday I went along to Discovery Point to the Brewer's Fare type of place. I parked in a space RIGHT OUTSIDE the entrance to the door and when I came out I had a parking ticket. The sods are charging to use the bloody restaurant:ugh:

bingofuel
11th Nov 2009, 20:34
HIAL utilise a property company to advise them on airport operations.

If I were to tell you that company was the BAA, it will probably be clear to all why parking charges were introduced at Dundee.

Oldpilot55
11th Nov 2009, 20:34
In a bar in Schiedam, Holland we had to pay to use the loos! A Dutchman is just a Scot with all the generosity squeezed out.