PDA

View Full Version : Your GA Journey

SM227
10th Nov 2009, 07:43
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out where I sit in this little world and what I can expect as I move into it, and I thought the best way to find out is to hear what you did or are doing. Basicly what i want to know is what sot of hours did you have as you progressed from your bare CPL to your current job, what you did to get it, what flying you did in your job, where you were based, what you were paid (if you dont mind), how many hours you did a week and other duties you had to do, and most importantly, all those great stories and adventures :)

rodrigues
10th Nov 2009, 08:27
I'm subscribing to this! Also in the same boat and very interested to see what is said.

rodrigues :ok:

Horatio Leafblower
10th Nov 2009, 09:18
I'm not sure I want to divulge all that before my memoirs are published :confused:

senshi
10th Nov 2009, 09:59
all those great stories and adventures

most involve Mitchell Street in Darwin.. :E

AussieNick
10th Nov 2009, 11:14
ahhh yes, mitchell street. any particular end there senshi :E

Checkboard
10th Nov 2009, 13:36
Flying instructor 89-91ish. Award rate per hour, but only about 330 hrs per year so $9 or $10k/yr, finished with about 1100 or 1200 hours,
Night freight Westwind FO 91-93 ish $28,800/yr (which was the award), finished with about 2500 hours,
93-95 Bank run Navajo/Baron pilot $32,000/yr? (Again, the award) finished with about 3200 hours
95-2001 Ansett FO 146 & 737, ~$105,000/yr (inlc. allowances), finished with about 7500 hours
2002 - now, UK 737 Captain, ~$AUD180,000, now have about 13,000 hours

Did my memoirs already, here: http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/360003-few-flying-stories.html
:ok:

frigatebird
10th Nov 2009, 21:04
checks
..great :ok:
not game yet.. and havn't your turn-of-phrase style

j3pipercub
10th Nov 2009, 21:37
Guys, having read Checkboards posts when they first came out and waiting avidly for the next installment, I would highly recommend giving them a read. They are fantastic.

WannabeQF, I hope you get everything you wish for.

Personally,

CPL/MECIR/FIR all around the same time Dec 05. It cost to renew it the first year but when company X asks for blah renewals, I have two more than most with my experience.

Moved half way across the country for a full time instructing position. Upon arrival and paying bond on a unit etc. was promptly informed that I would only be causal and paid by the flying hour. Unphased, I went back through the inactive student file and got a really good base of students going, was doing 3 hours of instruction a day. However the last straw came when the owner moved my three students for the day to the full time staff who were not doing anything. He did that without telling me, or even calling me to tell me. I left that school needless to say but I made sure I had signed up about 20 people to do a PPL theory course I was meant to teach. I pulled the plug 2 days prior to it starting, hey I'm casual... They still taught the course, just cost them twice as much, for another ground instructor.

So bereft of work and a lot less money in the bank, I moved back home. A mate I had been to uni with and helped get a job as a meatbomber told me they were looking for jump truckers again. So I went out and had a look and before I knew it, I was flying a s/e turbine with 300 total time. Was it award? No. Did I pay for the endorsement? Yes. Do I regret that? No. So after flying meatbombs around for close to 12 months, I got a bit tired of the constant dodgy-ness that seemed ops normal in that world. So I decided it would be a good idea to try and move on to something else.

Next I worked for a charter company, the next logical step. I had heard stories from guys who had made the step before me about 'charter' pilots saying our skydiving time was worthless. I was lucky and didn't find that attitude where I worked. I was the second crew on a mine charter for 6 months as well as doing a ground ops job. The ground ops job is probably the only thing I regret doing in my career, although it did give me a good insight as to how the other half lived so to speak. So after 6 months, I was the first pilot in about 4 years to make the transition from ops to flying. I got a gig at the company's satelite base flying resort guests. It was an awesome job, especially when you could sweet talk the check in girl and get a plane load of American Uni girls in bikinis. I still have the photos I took as my desktop background. But aside from the err scenery and apart from a few 'wombats' the guys I flew with were an awesome bunch and I would never trade my time there for anyrhing, even a jet command. You hear that WannabeQF? I spent two years at that company, and I had a ball. Sure there were days when you didn't want to go flying in the VFR aeroplanes, and the resulting pressure from the boss, but these were all very minor things compared to the big picture. It was time to go when I did however, as I was losing my love of the job and cetain people.(Pax and resort guets) can cause you to lose faith in mankind.

So then that leads me to my currently job flying bank runs. It is a completely different sort of flying, but still just as fun. I enjoy the loaders and the playful abuse we hurl at one another, and the aeroplanes.

Wages.

With the exception of my current job, I was employed as a casual. Did this bother me? Occassionally. But for me it beat the alternative of working for a living. In the first 4 years I never earnt more than 35k a year, with the meatbombing year about 26. I got by and the bills got paid. Sure I couldn't go away every weekend etc, but it was a pretty good wicket and I still managed to save for a 4 week Euro trip in that 2 years.

Other

Your flying is what you make it. It can either be a source of much joy on your journey or a boring waiting room to the majors. Ultimately your choice.

Drink lots of beer, preferrably with the guys you work with. Try not to get anyone offisde. You don't have to be best friends with them, but unless they've tried to kill you in an aeroplane or threaten you with physical violence, try to be on good terms with the other pilots. Very small industry you know... :).

Refuellers and Engineers are the best form of gossip/who's hiring etc. And carry the ladder for them, they'll think you're a champion. Then next time you need a snag fixed on sunday or fuel in the pouring rain, they might actaully do it..

No matter how hot you think she is, DON'T sleep with another pilots girlfriend/missus. Another small indutry etc tip. I know a couple of guys who would have had an awesome opportunity if they had used discretion .

Don't do too much crazy, stupid ridiculous stuff on empty sectors.

Take a camera with you. And spare batteries and a memory card.

Hope this helps

j3

Capt Fathom
10th Nov 2009, 21:52
I left that school needless to say but I made sure I had signed up about 20 people to do a PPL theory course I was meant to teach. I pulled the plug 2 days prior to it starting, hey I'm casual...

Maybe you didn't phrase that very well !

You inconvenienced 20 people to get even with your (lousy) boss?

redsnail
10th Nov 2009, 21:54
1991, got the CPL.

1993 ish. Instructed part time at Liverpool Flying School. ~490 hours (inc private flying etc) ~$20/hr

1994 - 1995 Charter pilot at Alligator Airways. Great fun, hard work, pay the award rates, great colleagues. (~ finished with 1600 hours) $25,000

1996-1998 Surveillance Australia. Paid the rate set out in the contract.
Interesting flying but spent too long looking out the window and not at the clocks...(~3300 hours) $33,000

1999-2000. FO for Transtate Airlines. Paid the award rate for an IFR FO.
Great fun. Loved living in Cairns. Learnt a lot and flew with some great guys. (~4200 hours) $33,000

2000. FO for Eastern Australian Airlines. Great opportunity. Didn't go so well.
Buggered off to the UK. (~4400) $45,000

2003 - 2004 FO Streamline/Emerald flying night freight in a manky ol' Shorts 360. Gees it was cold. (~5100) £18,000

2005 FO & Captain NetJets Europe. Hawker 800. Great job. :ok: €120,000 :E

The Truckie
10th Nov 2009, 22:49
First Job - Instructing on award and casual. 3 years and 1000hrs (Approx $28000 per year)
Second Job - Bank Running and Charter full time for 2 years and not the award ($25000 per year)
Third Job - Flying for private company for 2 years.($47250 per year)
Fourth Job - First Turbine (C441) on AWA for 1 year ($60000 per year)
Fifth Job - Overseas Airline (737NG) 6 months ($75000AUS)
Sixth Job - Chief Pilot for Charter company with Turbines 2 years($100000)

Overall I have been having a great time and not looking to hard for an airline job as high end GA gives you the money and the family time you desire. I'm home almost every night.

Aerozepplin
10th Nov 2009, 22:50
2004 - PPL
2009 - CPL/MEIR
2009 - non-flying aviation job

wait... that's not interesting at all... :(

j3pipercub
10th Nov 2009, 23:27
Fathom,

Yes perhaps the phrasing could do with some work. See above

j3

TSIO540
11th Nov 2009, 01:38
I started learning to fly in '00 with a Ba Avn
Worked as a bouncer to pay my way though that

CPL in '03
CIR early '04
Grade 3 rating mid '04
Worked casually at a flying school fighting for 15 hrs a month x 9 months earned roughly $20k pa

Mid '05 Got a job instructing full time in WA with 360 hrs. Did 11 months there and 600hrs on award plus 5% ~$31,000pa

Mid '06 got a charter job flying a chieftain with 1000hrs, did 80 hrs and two months @$38k, owner was a knob so I left that

Late '06 Got married @ -$50k p.a :ouch:

Early '07 went back to S.E instructing with 1100TT on $45k. Made grade one late '07, started M.E instructing on $63k (then had enough of instructing)

Mid '08 moved to Tassie for a charter gig in a chieftain on $40k with 1800TT

Late '08 got a Metro 3 Gig (FO) with 2100TT on $38k, 6 months later GFC.. made redundant

Next day (mid '09) got a job as a C&T/line pilot with 2200TT on baron award, slogged it out on the pistons... now flying a B200 on $60k with 2500TT (capt) over morning glory roll clouds...WooHoo!

Compared to others I have met along the way I have had a long journey in GA. Some parts have been crappy others fantastic, met some great mates along the way... took some awesome photos (TAKE YOUR CAMERA EVERYWHERE!). I wish I could have been on an airline salary earlier but I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had. Good luck:ok:

empacher48
11th Nov 2009, 04:55
CPL arrived in the mail 12/9/2001.....

Worked pumping petrol to keep the hours ticking over and keep my name in front of the potential employers...

First job: August 2003 flying tourists around the Mountains and Glaciers of the South Island, got the job with 300 hours TT. Was paid a salary (yes a salary, none of this paid per hour of flying or whatever) and was well looked after. Was also able to gain other qualifications that I wouldn't have had a chance to do without the job. Worked with some great people and not so great people, but the bosses were a couple of great guys - real enthusiasts when it came to aviation and really knew their stuff. Was there for 5 years and loved it and developed a real sweet spot for the area.

Second job: February 2009.. Flying ATRs around tropical islands about 1500TT sweet stuff all multi. Missing the mountains, but the view is great and so different to what I was doing. But now I can go play golf 3 times a week!

And that's about where I stand right now...

clear to land
11th Nov 2009, 05:01
85-86 UPPL
88-CPL: casual SEVFR Chtr (Award)-500hrs-Gr3-SEInstr thru Gr2 1200hrs (retainer+hourly rate and accom)) 1990-SEVFR Chief Pilot (Award + house/car in remote area) first twin at 2200hrs (Hospitality Industry/Brickies labourer/cotton picking throughout entire period as well as flying)then joined AAAvn.
92-98 Army Pilot RW and FW with normal ADF pay/benefits (4700hrs)
98-99 Surv Aust (as per contract)5400hrs, 99-02 RFDS (As per contract)6700hrs
02-05 B737 FO -9000hrs (avg 105k) then 777FO (now variable depending on exchange rate avg 140k no tax!)11000hrs
31 moves in 21 years!!!!!

Dick Smyth
11th Nov 2009, 05:08
This industry sucks. Dont bother.

Green gorilla
11th Nov 2009, 08:08
89 ppl
92 cpl
93 First job $25000 pa
2001 turbine ops $ 65000 to $85000
2007 Aerorescue $140000+

tea & bikkies
11th Nov 2009, 09:00
This industry sucks. Dont bother.Why would you consider being a pilot, the chicks will love the uniform..wrong, it would be cool to be a pilot...wrong,
mum & dad want me to be a pilot...wrong.

After 30 years flying and 19950 hours later, there is one common thread with all the folks I have had the pleasure of flying with...they all have a love of flying... you are born with it.

Hey Dickie maybe it does suck.. life sucks, that's your problem. Its also the reason there is no one like you I have ever flown with and never hope to.

Chadzat
11th Nov 2009, 11:21
Early 2006 - Gained CPL (at 200 ish hours)
Mid 2006 - Early 2007 Worked 3 diff jobs to get those magical first few hours.
Shark Patrol, Scenic Flights, Casual 182 charter. (left with 350 hours)
Early 2007 - Gained MECIR (at 300 hours)
Early 2007 - early 2008 Worked in the outback out of a major regional centre. Flew 210s, BE58's and PA31's. (left with 900 hours)
Early 2008 - Late 2009 Worked for a large charter/small regional in SA flying PA31's and C404's initally on charter and night freight, then on RPT. (left with 2000 hours and 1200 multi command)
Last week - Current F50 First Officer :ok:

Been a very quick ride, and a lot quicker than I thought it was going to be. All I can say is MAKE CONTACTS. (friends!)

M14_P
11th Nov 2009, 19:30
j3cub, that MUST have been frustrating. Good work though on making it work.

'99-'01 PPL
'03-'04 CPL
'05-set up a business
'07-'09 worked for an Aerobatic adventure company flying several different Pitts'
'09- flight instructing part time (PPL and aerobatics)
late '09 - due to start doing vintage aircraft joyrides in Tigers

frigatebird
11th Nov 2009, 20:55
First year held cpl, casual charter rate with Aero Club.
Second year, Instructor Rating then repaid half cost back to Club by casual instruction weekends at Class 3 instructor award pay rate, worked in family business during week.
Third year as company pilot for motor dealership, other work involved truckdriving and spraypainting. Paid somewhere in among various awards.
Fourth year Chief Pilot when company got SE charter licence. award at the time.
Break from full time flying for 18 months while working in family business.
Rejoined company for three years as SE VFR CHTR then ME VFR Reg203Exempt commuter pilot. award was backpaid. Left with 3500 hrs.
Off overseas to join small international airline, MEIFR, award. Contract was similar and modeled on Australian award at the time. Left with 10500 hrs.
Various (smaller) airlines with turboprops since. Award or similar negotiated contract.

The early years were some time ago. The industry is different with much more rapid advancement when there is the up cycle now.

Jazzy78910
12th Nov 2009, 01:53
March 2009 - October 2009 - PPL
Jan 2010 Start CPL
Watch this space, LoL :}