PDA

View Full Version : Bush flying training

Sam Rutherford
9th Nov 2009, 13:53
Anyone flown with either Karl Finatzer or CC Pocock for bush flying training?

Positives/Negatives of either guy?

Thanks, Sam.

sablewolf
9th Nov 2009, 19:37
I did a bush flying course with CC Pocock last December. He is a bit of a maverick but the facilities were excellent. Accommodation is basic but clean and tidy. Good grass airfield. CC picked me up from an internal flight from J'burg to Nelspruit (I had been at a conference in J'burg). I walked off the plane with my hand luggage over to his C172 (which has balloon tyres and manual flaps), got it and flew to his place about 20 mins away. I had a brilliant time, learned so much about 'real' flying (I only had about 70 hours total at the time) but at the end of a short couple of days was landing in situations that I would previously have considered as a 'crash' - but quite safely. CC is an interesting guy and the time spent in the bar and the jacuzzi (all available on-site) is relaxing as is the ambience and local (home cooked) food. It was a great experience but you need to be aware that standards are somewhat different to the 'western' norms. I can only say that I would definitely recommend both CC and the course he runs - I apply his lessons every time I fly and followed up his suggestion to work on my rudder-work with a taildragger course when I got back to UK. He limits his courses to 1 or 2 people max so if you want to go there, make sure you book well in advance. If you want any more info, give me a shout.

All the best,

Tony