PDA

View Full Version : VHS -> DVD with your laptop?

Squawk7777
8th Nov 2009, 13:36
Hello!

I am curious if anyone here has tried to copy old VHS or Video 8 tapes onto DVD with your computer. I know that there are a few VHS/DVD combo players out there, but how complicated would it be to use it with your laptop? What software and hardware (other than a simple video cable to firewire cable) would you need? Any pointers?

Thanks, :ok:

7 7 7 7

spannersatcx
8th Nov 2009, 18:50
You would need some sort or capture device, like dazzle (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm)

Background Noise
8th Nov 2009, 20:28
Keep an eye out for VHS/DVD combo recorders on popular auction sites - I've tried other capture devices but just got a good condition second hand combo unit for £50, which I might keep or pass on once I've DVD'd all my old worth-saving bits of video. Once it's on DVD it is dead easy to rip it to computer if required.

HandyAndy
9th Nov 2009, 12:09
What I've done in the past Squawk is to connect the VCR to my digital camcorder and recorded it. Then transfered it to my laptop with WinDVD which I happen to have installed, although I'm sure other authoring software will do the trick.

reynoldsno1
9th Nov 2009, 23:03
There are any number of USB video capture devices on the market that allow you to record analogue to digital straight on to your hard drive. They usually come with DVD authoring software that allows you to then make your own VCDs or DVDs

bringiton
11th Nov 2009, 08:01
How does any of this work with films on video tape? I think they are copyright protected which means I can't simply copy them to DVD. I've got 86 films on tape and would really like to transfer/preserve them to DVD.
Any one got any ideas?

green granite
11th Nov 2009, 08:44
Depends on the software used, some will see copy protection stuff. some wont. Just try copying to the hard drive to start with, if that works then you should be able to copy to DVD.

390cruise
13th Nov 2009, 21:15
I have used Dazzle to transfer VHS to the hard drive but have had various levels of success burning it to DVD. I have tried both purchased and free software for the burning.