PDA

View Full Version : Joining the RAF with a CPL

flightlevel1985
8th Nov 2009, 11:09
Has anybody had experience on joining the RAF as a pilot after already holding a CPL/IR and a flying instructor rating?

I had always wanted to fly fast jets, but after being knocked back by the RAF a few years ago it affected my confidence to apply again. Anyway, I went on to get the civilian licences through my own finance and scholarships, and I feel that my confidence has returned enough to try again.

Am I likely to get turned down because of the fact that I have trained in a civilian environment or would this be welcomed?

Runaway Gun
8th Nov 2009, 11:25
It depends why you were knocked back in the first place.

Having pursued alternative aviation goals is commendable, and it shows that you are ambitious, and that you really do enjoy flying.

However the fact that you have a CPL etc is almost worthless in respect to the military flying lessons that you will undergo. You have to forget what you think you know, and be willing to accept the 'new' way of RAF flying. Having done both myself it's a whole new ball game. It could almost be worthwhile keeping your CPL a little known secret once you get past the selection board.

So you won't get turned down because of it, you just have to realise that your attitude has to be willing to start from scratch ;)

Farfrompuken
8th Nov 2009, 11:47
This was covered a while back;

any experience will be beneficial-you won't jump any courses but we had a chap through BFJT a few years back who had an ATPL and bizjet experience. He sailed through the course, quite unsurprisingly.

Your training will demonstrate dedication and commitment. Just be yourself at the interview stage.

airborne_artist
8th Nov 2009, 12:25
Are you within the age reqs?

flightlevel1985
8th Nov 2009, 13:00
Thanks for the replies guys. I was 19 the last time I applied, and I am 25 next May, so should be ok on the age side of things. Time for a trip to the careers office then.

Two's in
8th Nov 2009, 13:16
There is no need to join the RAF with a Corporal, as they already have plenty of their own.

OneFifty
8th Nov 2009, 13:26
You'll be pushing it age-wise. You have to be through your training and in service BEFORE your 26th birthday.

206Fan
8th Nov 2009, 14:09
Jumping in here for a sec.

Why is the age limit 25 if you have to be trained and on the frontline before your 26th birthday? :confused:

People looking to join at 25 are basically wasting their time then!

OneFifty
8th Nov 2009, 14:25
Pretty much!

206Fan
8th Nov 2009, 14:36
PN

I presume its the same for the navy then?

Looks like the engineering sector will be my target now!

flightlevel1985
8th Nov 2009, 15:28
So if I am 25 in the first half of next year, is it likely that I would make the age limits, or is it already too late?

Tankertrashnav
8th Nov 2009, 15:37
FL1985

There's one thing you may not have considered. You're already flying, but not fast-jets which is what you really want- fair enough.

Whats happens if you get accepted and at some point in training you're selected for multi-engine rather than fast jets. After a while you're flying pax to hot sandy destinations in a sweaty flying suit rather than round Europe in a nice clean collar and tie (or whatever).

It's a possbility - would that still be a good result?

Farfrompuken
8th Nov 2009, 16:07
Pontius,

In service before 26 is impossible.

I've a guy approaching the end of his first tour at 24. He is the exception, however.

OneFifty
8th Nov 2009, 16:12
Farfrompuken, I think PN was refering to the fact that Flightlevel1985's age makes it impossible for him to be in service before his 26th birthday.

Farfrompuken
8th Nov 2009, 16:15
Doh!

I'll get me coat!

I always thought the age limit referred to end of IOT. But it'd be a tight timescale to get through OASC and IOT before 26 but not impossible. He's got just over a year.

airborne_artist
8th Nov 2009, 16:16
Aircrew officers can join the RN up to 25 yrs and 11 months on the day of commencing BRNC.

IIRC that the RAF recently changed officer aircrew entry ages - are they now exactly in line with the RN? It seems not.

Ed Winchester
9th Nov 2009, 14:38
flightlevel1985 - You are not too old!

Age Limits for Pilot and WSO

Direct Entry. Candidates from civil life are normally selected so as to be able to enter officer training as a pilot or WSO (Nav) before their 26th birthday.

That is enter Initial Officer Training at RAF Cranwell. Recent rule change.

teeteringhead
9th Nov 2009, 16:45
So if I read the previous post correctly, you can now be a month older to join the RAF rather than the Andrew......???

OneFifty
9th Nov 2009, 17:08
Please accept my humble apologies. I stated earlier that you would need to be out of training and in service before your 26th birthday. Of course, this should read IN TRAINING before the 26th birthday.

Ed Winchester
9th Nov 2009, 17:21
teetering head,

I think the rules are exactly the same - when they say 25 yrs 11 months, they mean under 26.

25 yrs 11 months and 28 days, for example, would still be classed as 25 yrs and 11 months.

flightlevel1985
9th Nov 2009, 19:48
Thanks for all the replies guys, thats great news :ok:

206Fan
9th Nov 2009, 23:11
Please accept my humble apologies. I stated earlier that you would need to be out of training and in service before your 26th birthday. Of course, this should read IN TRAINING before the 26th birthday.Thanks for the clarification OneFifty :ok:

Trojan1981
9th Nov 2009, 23:58
Why are there such strict age limits there?
The RAAF states

the maximum age for Direct Entry (Non-Graduate (or Graduate)) Pilot entry is 43 years of age. However, Air Force has a stated preference for pilot applicants that do not exceed 27.5 years of age at the commencement of Pilot training.

The RAN states

Maximum age on entry is 46 years of age.
(up to 51 for observer)(I know of an aircrewman who is 63 and still going!)

Army Aviation

Applicants must be aged between 17 and 49 years of age inclusive on entry.

If they knock you back on age, and you really want to fly for the military:confused:, you might as well come and do it in the sunshine.

CirrusF
10th Nov 2009, 05:11
Trojan,

Do they really actually take candidates at the upper end of those age limits? Or are they just paying lip-service to Australian age-discrimination legislation?

Trojan1981
10th Nov 2009, 05:55
Cirrus, to be honest I don't know. I do know pilots who went through in their early-mid thirties. All were civillian professional pilots before joining, except one, who was previously a Nav in the RAAF.

I know they do stay in quite late (hence the 63 y/o Navy Acmn) plus the Army and Navy seem to be perpetually short of pilots so who knows?

Is there anyone here who currently works at Tamworth?

Pontius Navigator
10th Nov 2009, 06:49
I can't apply for another 2 years anyway, il be turning 25 in may 2011.

This will put you on the upper edge as you would bt 25-6 at that time.

I know of a graduate from a university with a 2.1. There was a rigorous debate on whether he should be accepted or not given that he had a 2.1 but did not have the requisite GCSE. In the end it was decided something like 3 for and 1 against.

As the one against was there President . . .

There were other issues too but it was the lack of passes.

PPRuNeUser0211
10th Nov 2009, 14:09
The age thing is the same in Canada as Aus, and they do let people in at the upper end of the scale fairly regularly. IIRC so long as they can complete a sensible return of service they're allowed in the same as anyone else!

CirrusF
10th Nov 2009, 16:46
I wish the UK would do the same - you could count me in.

OneFifty
10th Nov 2009, 19:24
Davy07

Even with a degree, the RAF wouldn't consider an applicant at the moment without the A levels. Likewise, we have been forced to turn people away with degrees and A levels but who did not have the GCSE's! The GSCE and A level are stated requirements and any variation requires an application for a waiver. Instruction form the Inspectorate of Recruiting states that, basically, no waivers will be granted, end of.

(Please don't shoot the messenger!)

Tankertrashnav
10th Nov 2009, 19:40
Davy 07

As well as the maths you might also want to work on your English, in particular your spelling!

Mind you, if you change your mind about a flying career there should be a vacancy for Prime Minister coming up soon, and apparently good spelling is not part of the job description ;).

206Fan
10th Nov 2009, 20:23
Onefifty,

Thanks for the reply :)

Pontius Navigator
10th Nov 2009, 21:29
Davy, from your high post count you are no stranger to pprune. You should not snipe at people like TTN who is gently stating the bleedin obvious.

You should strive for good spelling, composition and typing so that they become second nature. I was with a very senior officer last week who said he spent much of his time trying to get junior officers to write proper.

206Fan
10th Nov 2009, 21:56
PN,

Fair enough, there are one or two words i did mis-spell, but that was due to my fast keyboard typing. That doesn't mean i mis-spell when im writing!

I only got snappy because tanker compared me to the Prime Minister.

Flightlevel,

Sorry for the thread hijack.