PDA

View Full Version : Study Materials - Before Starting Pilot Course ?

ripanrocks
7th Nov 2009, 14:45
It would be great, if I get some good suggestions about what study materials should I consult before starting my pilot course in usa, as I'm in high school's last year, so that I can get a better start-off in my pilot course :ok:

Like some books, online ebooks, maps, charts, etc...

Alex Whittingham
7th Nov 2009, 18:17
Good grief Phil! Stop shamelessly pumping your own book. Next thing you know Stuart will be on here saying "no, no, go to CATS", Anthony will pop up saying " No, it has to be integrated, go to Oxford" and on we go. Let other people recommend your work, its good enough.

In answer to the original question, you're probably better off concentrating only on PPL material at this stage, even if you're going on do do a commercial license. For an FAA PPL I'm not sure what to recommend, maybe the King videos - you really need an FAA instructor's advice. If you're doing a JAA PPL try Trevor Thom's books or AFE's. Most people nowadays prefer the AFE ones but I still think Trevor's are very good.

ripanrocks
8th Nov 2009, 03:46
I am looking forward in doing FAA PPL->IR->CPL(ME)->CFI->CFII->MEI->ATPL.
Any recommendations about books based on the above, so that I can start my study beforehand ? :rolleyes:

paco
8th Nov 2009, 15:23
Actually, there aren't many that are really concise for what you want, and that have all the information in one place. There is a book called Professional Pilot for the multi-engine stuff that is worth a read, but that really needs a lot of the basics to be understood. Try a Canadian one called From The Ground Up which, if you ignore anything to do with Air Law will be excellent. They probably stock it at Aviation World in Toronto, but they are opening up a US branch.

For instruments, the FAA do a good instrument book.

Good luck

phil

Transsonic2000
8th Nov 2009, 19:13
@ripanrocks

I suggest to take a look at the link below, it's the official FAA (Federal Aviation Authority) Website, you'll find a bunch of e-books as a PDF download and it's all for free :) I particularly recommend the "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" that's all you need for now!

Aviation Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/)

Have fun and good luck!

ripanrocks
8th Nov 2009, 19:44
Thanks for replies, much appreciated.

Keep them rolling in.....:ok: