PDA

View Full Version : Promotion Hoops

helo425
6th Nov 2009, 15:43
Ok so you are a Sqn Ldr.
ICSC(A) done and dusted.
Question is: How many years and or reports before the Deskie can consider sending you to the board for SO1. Helo425

ICBM
6th Nov 2009, 15:45
Ummmm, ask your deskie......?

VinRouge
6th Nov 2009, 16:08
Length of time inversely proportional to how many TV appearances you have made, Air Rank arses you have kissed, how many non-op focussed secondary duties you have juggled and how many times you have told someone to "press on" I would imagine..... :hmm:

Oh, and make sure you dont fail your fitness test, because apparently, being unable to run shuttles now means you cant be the next Bader. Who I imagine may have struggled to get to level 9:10 on the bleep test yet was one of our most famous members.

Cows getting bigger
6th Nov 2009, 16:30
Are you real? SO2 asking such a question on proone. :eek:

Grabbers
6th Nov 2009, 17:39
The future's bright...:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

6th Nov 2009, 18:01
Try PSF, or ask your SO1................. or ask the whole world, your choice.

Wrathmonk
6th Nov 2009, 18:03
C G B

You may be making an false assumption. What if helo425 (who may not even be an SO2 himself) is posting in amazement that an 'SO2 colleague' with not much seniority, perhaps not much in the way of professional ability (but who has been Mess Sec / CMC / OIC This and That / Member of the Audit Board / organised the Summer Ball - you get the drift) has either been pulled to Acting Rank or even substantive wg cdr and in his [helo425] view is being promoted way above his ability. Could of course be a jealousy thing as well ;)

minigundiplomat
6th Nov 2009, 18:31
Don't care.

However, I believe that even if you're flying ability is crap, the ability to organise Mess events will see you through and ensure your progress is unhindered by mere technicalities such as lack of ability.

helo425
6th Nov 2009, 18:36
Oh Wrath - You are good.

Board results just released this week.
Some who clearly earned it, some who by all accounts did not.

5 Forward 6 Back
6th Nov 2009, 19:09
Are they published anywhere?

helo425
6th Nov 2009, 19:28
Manning webpage

LateArmLive
6th Nov 2009, 20:07
Is the list available online for those of us who are on leave?

L J R
6th Nov 2009, 20:28
Must find out where you work LateArm - Any vacancies..? Leave sounds nice...

LateArmLive
6th Nov 2009, 20:37
Leave? Loads, once you've got as much PODL to take as me :ok:

Pontius Navigator
6th Nov 2009, 21:52
not much in the way of professional ability (but who has been / Member of the Audit Board /

Boss drops in, we need someone from Ops to be on the audit board, you are it.

:)

Waits for TORs. zzzzzzzz

Given accounts to audit; request TORs. zzzzzzzzz

Call from OC Accts "it will be really good for your career prospects." "I don't think so, I retire in 6 months."

They appointed someone else who thought he had a career. Sap :}

The B Word
6th Nov 2009, 22:25
The best promotion "hoop" is the one you have to kiss to progress!!! :ok:

The Gorilla
7th Nov 2009, 11:15
Ahh like on 8 Sqn yes?
:ok:

Climebear
7th Nov 2009, 11:27
Helo 425

The big question is why are you only concerned about staff appointments?

SO1 is a 'Staff Officer Grade 1' appointment filled by cdr/lt col/wg cdr. It is not a rank. If you must use a term to refer to that rank level OF4 will suffice.

junket
7th Nov 2009, 21:23
425 - 2nd substantive year for Advanced staff course and 3rd substantive year for promotion. However, expect to serve in the region of 3 tours (approx 6 reports) before you get a good look in

zedder
7th Nov 2009, 21:29
Climebear,
Is saying that we've got some pretty rank people filling Staff Officer Grade 1 appointments a better way to phrase it then?;)

Bluntnotsharp
8th Nov 2009, 14:51
3 reports required. In exceptional circumstances you can be put infront of the board as 'BTZ' - Below The Zone, someone who does not have enough reports to normally be considered by the PSB but is an exceptional prospect for promotion.