PDA

View Full Version : GA opportunities UK/EU

socks and thongs
6th Nov 2009, 02:53
Hi all,

I apologise if I'm flogging a dead horse here but I have read through the posts and haven't been able to find anything that really applies to my current situation. I'm an ozmate who is about to kick off the jaa conversion as my partner comes from up that way and we've decided to start making plans to make a move.

I've been flying here in GA for a few years and was essentially trying to find out what, if any GA opportunities exist in the UK and Europe (freight, airmed, charter, air taxi etc etc) for someone with my experience. I don't want to tread on any toes as I know times are just as tough up there as they are down here as far as getting a gig go, but I'm simply looking for what opportunities I could look towards given my experience when I eventually arrive. Or indeed if there is even a market for this sort of work in your part of the world. My understanding is that the GA industry doesn't quite exist as it does here with all the low cost carriers etc so maybe my experience isn't really worth much up in the UK.

At the moment I have an Aussie ATPL with around 2500 hours, mostly on piston twins in the IFR freight/charter line of work with probably another 1000 by the time I get through the conversion and the move. Would this sort of experience qualify me for a similar role in the UK? I enjoy the flying I do at the moment so would be more than happy to continue doing the same there, although I'm not sure if it's worthwhile pursuing (given lack of opportunities) as opposed to joining the LCC queue.

Like I said, don't want to tread on any toes, just trying to plan the next little while to see what course of action I should take here and there to do the transition as best I can.

Many thanks to all for your thoughts