PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating. B737 vs. A320

Shaun-356
5th Nov 2009, 23:35
Hi all,

I'm currently considering a type rating and just wanted to get some general opinions as to which type may offer better employment prospects.
The two types I have been looking at are the B737-3/4/5+NG differences or the Airbus A320.
From what I've seen so far it looks like a fairly even split on which type to train for.

My experience is 1400TT. Mainly C206 & Caravan.

Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The Beer Hunter
5th Nov 2009, 23:54
A type rating without hours or a cast-iron, written-in-blood, solid job offer is an absolute waste of time and money. Never more so than in the current climate.

You can almost guarantee that you'll always have the wrong rating for the job that's going and if you do strike lucky they'll want hours on type. Name almost any type you like and I'll bet you anything that right now there'll be guys out there with thousands of hours on it ahead of a newbie in the queue.

Let's not even start discussing how buying a TR undermines all our terms and conditions.

JotaJota
6th Nov 2009, 01:07
Yep, NO PIC time on Type = USELESS!!!

Do NOT waste your money!

Left Wing
6th Nov 2009, 03:13
My experience is 1400TT. Mainly C206 & Caravan......... get a full ATPL...only then go to Tiger Airways and talk to them, if they will be interested if you pay for your A320 type...

Metro man
6th Nov 2009, 05:21
Big gamble with no job offer. If you don't use the rating within a reasonable time it will be useless. i.e. a three year old type rating and no hours on type isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Once you have time on type it's much easier to be employed if you haven't flown that type for a while.

At the moment you would be competing against pilots with plenty of recent experience and guess who the employers will choose.

Even with the rating you will still need some training to be put on the line and then sectors flown with a training captain before you are released. For the first few hundred hours while you are learning the captains workload is greatly increased. Whilst you may be licenced on type it takes a while before you're fully pulling your weight.

For the moment, if you've got a job hang on to it. Keep your money in the bank and start putting out applications. Use your time productively to prepare for the next up turn. Get your ATPL and start studying up on jet operations and multi crew stuff.

BTW I did exactly what you're thinking of in late 2005 and got lucky in the 2006 jobs boom. Would I do it today ? NO WAY:eek:

Twin2040
6th Nov 2009, 06:35
I got good experience - C560 B72 B75 B76 and no job ........ its a waste of your money right now.

Cruiseclimb
7th Nov 2009, 02:06
If you want to pay for some training, go to the next level.. Cessna Citation or King Air 200 or 300. At least in those jobs you will get hired into a seat with your experience. Get 1,000 hours in multi turbine and an upgrade, then 500 pic. After that I would look at a transport type when you have the multi turbine and 3,000 hours....