PDA

View Full Version : ambition to become a pilot

Stimmy
5th Nov 2009, 20:30
Hi everyone :)
(before i start please can i ask that people try not to sigh at the beggining of my post :p)

Since i was about 5 i have always had the ambition to become a pilot and as i will have finnished my GCSEs by Summer next year i an looking for as much advice as possible on the subject of getting to my dream job :) (i hear sighing!!! )

I originally looked into the idea of joining Oxford aviating academy but due to having 3 siblings i have been turned away from this idea as realisticly speaking i would not be able to afford it and my parents funding it is out of the question. Another reason i have decided against this is because i have heard very mixed views on this sort of training.

For the past few months i have been a bit 'mezzed' after talking to an airline pilot about how he got to where he is and to be honest, i was imbarresly decived (not intentionally by the pilot) that becoming a pilot would not be as hard as i originally thought. He started his training while doing his Alevels 9 years ago and went down the modular route, he now flys for Thomsonfly and has for the last 5 years i believe.

Recently i have been doing alot more research on persuing my dream and it seems that it is maybey something i should consider later in life when i have more life experience and the finnancial needs. The main problem is that i have set my mind to becoming a Pilot and subconciously closed my mind to other ideas. The one other path i can see and i feel would interest me is going down the route of trying to get a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, i understand that this is also a very challenging path but if i set my mind to it im sure i could achieve it. Has anyone else here gondown that route and how has it gone for them? I have already got a GCSE in statistics at A* (just) and it looks promising that i will also achieve this grade in Maths and Science, however, i am less good at subjects envolving alot of writing and im heading towards B grades in English and Geography and a C in hated German lol.

I guess what i am seeking really is just general advice. I understand that life is harsh and not everyone gets to where they want to be but i have held a lifelong ambition and cant see it fading...

Thankyou in advance for any help that is given.

Scott Duch
5th Nov 2009, 21:22
I'm in the same position as you but just 2 years older. I left high school with the plan to go straight into pilot trianing but the economic downturn came and i would be stupid to have a huge debt with no job at the end. So after talks with my parents and lots of thinking on my part i had the grades in maths/physics/chemistry to study engineering at uni. During my last year of school, 2008/09 i applied to various unis and received offers from all of them but in the end i chose Aeronautical Engineering at Glasgow University. Im alf way through my first semester and it's a challenge and a half, just having a break from studying 2.5hrs fluid mechanics/analogue elctronics and my head is whizzing! :ugh:;)However, it's a challenge and i like it....it's your call but once (if) i graduate it will be 2013 so hopefully things will have imprived and then pilot training will become a more suitable option....only time will tell.

Shunter
5th Nov 2009, 21:28
You sound fairly bright, so hopefully you won't be dazzled by the flight school sales brochures. The industry is a shadow of its former self as far as the rewards for flying an aeroplane go. It'll cost you a huge amount of money to attain the necessary qualifications, at which point you'll arrive on a jobs market where supply outstrips demand by many times.

It's a pretty poor choice of career these days unfortunately. Why not go be a doctor, or a vet, or something else? Then you can afford to fly whenever you want and enjoy it without it becoming just a job.

JohnGV
6th Nov 2009, 06:39
Stimmy,

You seem very mature on your outlook on this and i congratulate you on that. You seem cautious, and rightly so. Its a BIG decision embarking on this career. Once your in...you can guarantee that financially, you will find it very hard for a good few years.

You have all the time in the world to make your decision. When I was 14, all i could think of was flying planes. I loved planes and everything about them so much.

Then when i was 16, I left school, got a job as a landscaper and did that for years.

I'd never saved any money up until 2 years ago when i decided that I had to become a pilot. Im 25 now. Im glad i didnt do any of it until now. I enjoyed my teens so much. Partied, experienced life, love and many other things.

Despite what other people will constantly tell you on here, it isn't as difficult as they all make out.

I saved $10,000 and came to Canada to do my PPL. I saved that in 1 year of hard work. I now live here and took out $40,000 of student line of credit. With that I will obtain my CPL (almost done now) Multi-IR and maybe an instructor rating.

I have friends all finished in the last year, all of them are in flying jobs right now, granted they had to uproot and move (but thats the nature of the game).

DON'T do any of it now. Live a little, go to UNI, go for being an AME (Aviation Mechanic) great idea and fly once you have experienced life a little.

Don't give up on it though, its great fun, I love flying so much and would not rather be training for anything else.

Goodluck with all your endeavours.

Stimmy
15th Mar 2011, 10:38
Thankyou for your responces guys, really inspiring! :) I am so sorry for not responing one and a half years ago when i should have, thats really rude of me... i compltely forgot i had made an account here! Anyway, yesterday i failed my Class 1 so im a bit stuck as far as a flying career goes :/

Whirlygig
15th Mar 2011, 10:56
Tough luck Stimmy but better you find out now rather than after having made the financial and emotional investment towards being a pilot.

I think you display the required attributes to be a good engineer! :E

Cheers

Whirls

Heliport
16th Mar 2011, 07:57
Stimmy

Sorry to hear about your Class 1, but you can still fly for pleasure if you want to:
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/443337-free-gliding-courses.html

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/436611-free-ppl-courses.html