PDA

View Full Version : Using aerial thermal imaging to detect IEDs?

CirrusF
5th Nov 2009, 17:42
Presumably this has been trialled already? Recently disturbed soil leaves air-pockets which have a different thermal signature to undisturbed soil.
Thermal imaging method to detect subsurface objects - US Patent 7157714 Description (http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7157714/description.html)
If the resources were available, wouldn't a daily aerial scan along ground patrol routes show up potential IEDs?

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2009, 18:10
Cirrus, all I will say is read Eight Lives Down and you will learn all you need to know.

FlightTester
5th Nov 2009, 18:27
Resources available, assets deployed and operational... from this weeks Flight International (so no beadwindow calls please)

RAF hails performance of Tornado GR4 in Afghanistan (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/10/30/334162/raf-hails-performance-of-tornado-gr4-in-afghanistan.html)

CirrusF
5th Nov 2009, 19:28
It's not got a 100% detection rate though, has it? What would make it better?

Melchett01
5th Nov 2009, 19:33
Without wishing to be a killjoy, could I suggest that this might fall into the bracket of an interesting idea, but one that you would already know about it you really needed to know about it.

All I will say is yes there are lots of open source material and academic papers out there, but lets just be careful and keep it as a purely academic discussion. :ok:

Magic Mushroom
5th Nov 2009, 19:38
What an outstanding idea CF.

Let's initiate a debate on an open forum that would highlight our capabilities, potential weakenesses and emerging technology relevant to what is arguably the biggest threat to the lives of our personnel in Afghanistan today!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

I sincerely hope that nobody answers your question. Do not ever underestimate the value of what, to you, may be an innocuous question to clever and resourceful people.

I seriously do wonder about the IQ of certain people at times.

Now may I respectfully suggest people STEP AWAY FROM THIS THREAD!

If there's any doubt there's no doubt.

Regards,
MM