PDA

View Full Version : Video on 64Bit Windows 7

MoateAir
5th Nov 2009, 09:21
I've got a new PC (well, 3 months old), but very high spec. I've just installed Windows 7 Ultimate and all works very well, except I can't watch any video clips over IE 8 in 64 bit mode. I've had to revert to 32 bit mode in order to see them.

I got an error saying that Flash needed to be installed, and there appears to be a beta version under development for 64 bit. Has anyone used this? Does it work? Is it safe?

I'm tempted to just put Firefox on instead, which I guess is a workaround, but it seems strange that W7 was released with this incomoplete functionality (bug?) - or am I missing something basic?

Is there a simple fix with known working apps that can run video over IE8 in 64 bit mode?

Sprogget
5th Nov 2009, 09:38
The issue is not a bug in Windows, it's Adobe flash player not supporting 64bit architecture. Flash is a video format widely used to play streaming content such as Youtube videos. The article below explains more.

Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html)

MoateAir
5th Nov 2009, 09:50
Thanks Sprogget.

I guess I'll just run IE in 32 bit mode until they release the 64b bit version.

Cheers.