PDA

View Full Version : 172 Gold Coast.

Numbers Up
5th Nov 2009, 07:47
Anyone know what the "Mechanical Problem on landing" was to poor old RBB - or is this just more sensational reporting by Ch 7.

Mick.B
5th Nov 2009, 07:58
Looks like a rough landing. Pic Here

Coolangatta plane crash - Photo Gallery | Gold Coast Bulletin - Australia | goldcoast.com.au (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=9915&offset=5)

Did a Bi annual in her last year. One of Air Gold Coasts aircraft.

AussieNick
5th Nov 2009, 08:24
on first view of the pics on could easily jump to the conclusion that the aircraft impacted heavily on the nose wheel first, cause it to break away from the aircraft in a right wing low attitude, causing the damage to the right wing. but i was not there. i know nothing more than what I have read in the paper etc so all of what i just said is one possible chain of events.

that been said, i am glad to hear the pilot is ok.will be intersted to see what the verdict is in regards to what actually happened.

startingout
5th Nov 2009, 09:53
Perhaps the skipper was conduction some steep turns in the hope his cessna had some wing curve just like the big boys :ok: then on landing thought it would be cool having a retract.

D-J
5th Nov 2009, 10:22
Plankbender is from around that area..... :E

rodrigues
5th Nov 2009, 10:52
Solo Circuits - pilot lost control on take-off.

Dangly Bits
5th Nov 2009, 11:25
Lost control on take off? Are we talking wake turbulence here?

Oh and why is the Air North Jungle Jet landing there? That is way south of their turf normally.

The Green Goblin
5th Nov 2009, 11:38
I think a rough landing is a bit of an understatement!

Planky will never live that one down will he :}

climingflightlevels
5th Nov 2009, 11:54
Oh and why is the Air North Jungle Jet landing there? That is way south of their turf normally.

Air North do Darwin - Mt Isa - Gold Coast now as of early October.

Pilotette
5th Nov 2009, 11:56
Whenever it was, landing or takeoff, the 'pilot' did a pretty good job of it...the wing, nose-wheel and prop! :eek:
Anyone know if there was much of a cross-wind at the time?
Glad no-one got hurt.

rodrigues
5th Nov 2009, 12:00
Not that it matters, but every report I've read states "It was a rough landing" when in fact the incident occurred during take-off.

Does Journalism just go off presumptions? Or do the facts just not matter? :ugh:

AVIATOR1982
5th Nov 2009, 12:01
Typical I have a day off and i miss all the excitement!! On a more serious note, If the conditions were anything like the last few days (gusty conditions and wind straight across the runway) which from the METAR/TAF I have from this afternoon says it was, not really the greatest of days for solo circuits for someone without a bit of experience.I take it this was some poor soul sent off for their first/second/third set of solo circuits only to be forever haunted by the experience. Thank God all appear to be safe and well though.

And Air North now do Darwin-Mt Isa-Gold Coast return every Thursday:ok:

Mick.B
5th Nov 2009, 19:39
1o kts from the NE

VH-XXX
5th Nov 2009, 22:14
That Cessna looks quite stylish now with the turned up wing tip ! Lots of dihedral. Nice and stable.

Atlas Shrugged
5th Nov 2009, 23:53
It stalled, it stalled!! :E

tasdevil.f27
6th Nov 2009, 01:02
The pilot is a good friend of mine, was only his 4 -5th solo flight.

Dangly Bits
6th Nov 2009, 04:47
Thanks for the Air North info.

Runaway Gun
6th Nov 2009, 06:39
Taz, is he okay? The report said that he was pulled from the aircraft by firefighters.

lordofthewings
6th Nov 2009, 07:06
Touch and go, powered up, didnt allow for the torque effect and went wing over. Very lucky. Nose gear lost when aircraft plowed off the strip.
Very high powered aircraft that one , modified like you wouldnt know.:ugh:

The Green Goblin
6th Nov 2009, 07:20
Didn't allow for the torque effect?

Those IO-360s sure do pack a punch :}

Pilotette
6th Nov 2009, 08:14
;) You beat me to it GG!
If anything, it would have been the slipstream effect that caught him I guess, especially when coupled with the crosswind...I can see how that might be a fair bit to handle on your 4th solo.
Hopefully this hasn't shaken the pilot enough to keep from getting back on the horse so-to-speak!

Aerohooligan
6th Nov 2009, 08:30
I remember RBB. Did some night time in it for my MECIR. Guys at AGC will be gutted.

tasdevil.f27
6th Nov 2009, 08:53
Yes he is ok, walked away BEFORE emergency services arrived.
The accident occurred on the takeoff section of the touch & go.

ATIS -
E14
030-070/6kts
Max XW 10kts
Max DW 6kts
10km+ reduced in HZ
Few 015 Broken 025
24 Celcius
QNH 1017

PPRuNeUser0163
6th Nov 2009, 09:09
Is it just me or does the aforementioned sound strikingly like ground effect??

j3pipercub
6th Nov 2009, 09:26
Thanks wings, that was the best laugh I've had all week...

Taz, hope he is able to get back on the horse quick...

Nkand, I don't remember ground effect giving uncommanded roll...

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Nov 2009, 09:51
Any School that allows a student pilot to do solo touch-and-goes deserves to have their aircraft rolled up in a ball!

Dr :8

the air up there
6th Nov 2009, 10:47
Glad he walked away from it, but I hope he doesn't walk away from flying.

No Nkand, its just you. Might want to pull the books out.

the aircraft made an uncommanded roll to the left

Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that alot of newbies aren't bein taught the use of rudder. In a wing drop situation like that, I was always told to use rudders, quicker response and you won't stall the wing. Feel free to correct me guys. But I'm seeing alot of newbies try and pick up wings with aileron and try to fly the ASI, not the attitude.

b_sta
6th Nov 2009, 11:11
Any School that allows a student pilot to do solo touch-and-goes deserves to have their aircraft rolled up in a ball!

Cmon, really Dr? Any? Quite a few highly recommended schools discussed on here time and time again are quite happy to allow their students to do solo T&Gs, without issue.

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Nov 2009, 11:25
Cmon, really Dr? Any?

Yup!

Dr :8

Arnold E
6th Nov 2009, 11:33
Cricky Doc, as a student I spent lots of time going round and round in circles on my own, or is it just my memory fading after all these years?

XanaduX
6th Nov 2009, 12:02

Ground effect in a high wing aircraft? It's just you dude. :E

the air up there
6th Nov 2009, 12:13
Ground effect in a high wing aircraft?

Ground effect does occur in high wing aircraft. It's just less noticeable as the wing is further from the ground than in a low wing but begins to have an effect when within the equivilent of one wingspan.

kibbet
6th Nov 2009, 13:47
Dr, with the risk of starting a religious/flame war :ugh:, I'm interested in why you're against T&Gs. I did 'em without much trouble, however, outside ab initio I can't see it's a sequence you'll ever use again. So, obviously it's used as cost saving measure - perhaps the risk out weights the benefit? (Also, glad to see it was only a bent aircraft this time)

Jamair
6th Nov 2009, 16:23
The report said that he was pulled from the aircraft by firefighters
Yes he is ok, walked away BEFORE emergency services arrived
In my experience, the firies would chase down any potential 'victim', crash-tackle them, skull-drag them kicking and screaming BACK to the aircraft / vehicle / whatever, so they could then 'rescue' them, preferably with the 'Jaws of Life', preferably reducing the aircraft / vehicle / whatever to a pile of chopped up little bits in the process......a process that would last as long as possible..........:rolleyes:

The Green Goblin
6th Nov 2009, 22:26

No

I was always told to use rudders

Two is always better than one! What type did you learn on? :E

I'm interested in why you're against T&Gs. I did 'em without much trouble, however, outside ab initio I can't see it's a sequence you'll ever use again.

Nope, you won't use circuits too often. Only every time you land at an airfield conducting other than a straight in approach, conduct a missed approach in visual conditions, or receive training on a new type. Of course you will also do them every time you have a 6 month proficiency check in the sim or aircraft, do a check ride with a new company or need currency for day/night landings.

Do I need to continue?

There is so much crap on here we need Planky to at least make it humerous!

tasdevil.f27
7th Nov 2009, 00:41
In my experience, the firies would chase down any potential 'victim', crash-tackle them, skull-drag them kicking and screaming BACK to the aircraft / vehicle / whatever, so they could then 'rescue' them, preferably with the 'Jaws of Life', preferably reducing the aircraft / vehicle / whatever to a pile of chopped up little bits in the process......a process that would last as long as possible..........:rolleyes:HAHAHAHA, how true. :ok:

Hopes to be back in there air next week. He was just practicing crash landings for when he gets in the scarebus :}

the air up there
7th Nov 2009, 00:46
ok GG, sorry to bring out the punctuation police.:} I did mean rudder. And I trained on the warrior.:ok:

Hoolio Rodriguez
9th Nov 2009, 11:51
The pilot got back on the horse today (so to speak), a little nervous but back in action.

rodrigues
9th Nov 2009, 12:06
Good to hear :ok:

the air up there
9th Nov 2009, 12:36
good stuff:ok: