PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exams, Credit for CPL Exams? Help!!

NickGooseBrady
4th Nov 2009, 19:18
Dear All,

A little help please, I have read LASORS (section J) and have trawled through previous posts. I cannot find the answer to my question.

For reasons various (mil service overseas mainly) I have not completed all 14 ATPL exams but have successfully passed 12 (have not attempted and will not be attempting Gen Nav or HpandL). My 18 month window has expired.

My plan is to instruct, as a hobby on either a PPL or possibly a CPL, in approx 5 years time when I have left the services and have the time to have such a hobby!

I understand that to instruct one needs to have completed either the CPL theoretical knowledge exams or the ATPL exams.

I need to know if the 12 exams I have done count as CPL exam passes in the equivalent subjects? If yes is there some sort of time limit for getting these passes credited against the CPL exams? In other words I have done 12 of the 14, the 18 month window has just expired. Can I still use these exam passes for CPL theoretical knowledge credit? If yes anyone know how I go about doing it?

Many thanks for any help.

NGB

NickGooseBrady
5th Nov 2009, 15:59
Bump!

I know this is as dull as dishwater but is there anyone out there who can help ?

NGB

Alex Whittingham
5th Nov 2009, 16:45
LASORS Section J (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20J%20-%20JAR-FCL%20THEORETICAL%20KNOWLEDGE%20EXAMINATION%20REQUIREMENTS.p df) paragraph 1.8 tells you how the ATPL exam passes can be credited to the CPL exams but says nothing about the expiry of the 18 month window. I would suspect that, because these exams are expired and incomplete, you won't be able to use them as credits. The only people that can answer this part of the question are the CAA, I'm afraid.

CATS Support
7th Nov 2009, 17:57
If you have legitimate reason for a delay in your studies then you can contact the CAA directly and via your ground school provider who should support you in a request for an extension to your studies

we do advise completing your ATPLs but if you are set on a CPL then the constituent exams taken at ATPL level count for CPL exams

for example: passing ATPL GNAV and RNAV gives you CPL NAV

reading your post you will need to take HPL and GNAV at ATPL level or HPL and NAV at CPL level (the RNAV that you have passed at ATPL level will not count towards CPL NAV unless you take ATPL GNAV)