PDA

View Full Version : QF A380 - pax perspectives

UnderneathTheRadar
4th Nov 2009, 11:16
Hi all,

Indulge me as I revist Monday's LHR-SIN-SYD via QF32 (premium economy) with some comments and questions.

Firstly, overall - very very impressive - aircraft and service - LHR to SIN in particular and I think that airlines that bought it have a public perception bonus that will be hard to shake (I know it's new and shiny and is ugly-as but there is something awe-inspiring about being on it). Premium economy was, as usual, full of retirees off on their world trip/visit family but there was a very positive vibe amongst those on board who chatted happily amongst themselves and to CC. It will get older and there are still bugs (broken toilet locks and bins - even though this was no 4 in the QF fleet) but I do believe it will replace the 747 as the publics 'favorite' aircraft.

I have vaguely watch the posts here about cabin crew and London bases and while the SIN-SYD crew were good, the London based LHR-SIN were outstanding from all levels. The CSM personally introduced the crew for our section (and went out of her way to check on my very pregnant missus) and the crew themselves were friendly, helpful and, for the first time EVER on a long haul flight didn't stand around loudly comparing rosters, hotels, friends, days off within earshot of everyone (a personal bugbear of mine).

IFE is worlds above any other I've come across - screen size and range of things to watch and do (loved the skycam - especially as when we were sitting just to the left and below someone elses jet stream - really cool).

Questions (if anyone is still reading!) - and yes, it's all 'perception' from someone who flies bugsmashers only.
- taxiing speed seemed excessively slow at all times (so not crew related) - is it so big that there is no room for error?
- flaps on take off seemed to stay down much longer than on heavy jets? Any reason?

Negatives (not assigning blame)
- idiotic checkin staff at LHR allocated us emergency exit rows whilst asking the missus when she was due - maybe because it was day 2 or 3 at T3 and she didn't know?
- loading at LHR and SIN - they can get the pax on in no time but both legs then involved 30 mins plus waiting for loading to be finished
- SYDNEY airport - you think someone would have checked that the baggage carousels were big enough for an A380 worth of baggage??!? We stood for 30 minutes watching baggage backed up from both of the disgorge thingys because the belt was full. If Maquarie were smart they'd move the duty free to between passports and the belts as there were a lot of people with a lot of spare time.

But all in all, especially when compared to the old, FILTHY, tatty, uncomfortable, poor food qualitied, grumpy CC'd BA 747 (premium economy too) on the way over, a very very good experience and one I'd pay extra for to make sure I got to experience again.

Say what you like about them (and I often agree) but QF management have got it right from a customer experience perspective.

UTR

Peter Fanelli
4th Nov 2009, 11:31
With regard to baggage offloading it's unfortunate that those passengers who try and do the right thing and arrive for a flight early and check in early will likely have their bags loaded on the plane first. This means they'll come off the plane last. The first bags off the plane will belong to the last passengers to check in, the same ones likely to be dawdling or hanging around the duty free shop instead of clearing their bags from the carousels.

:ugh:

Back Seat Driver
4th Nov 2009, 20:42
UTR, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I have paxed on the 380 many times now but have yet to experience the comforts of premium economy. (1st class only, so far :ok:)
re- taxi speed. Yes it is slow, due to a requirement of 10 knots or less turning 'tightish' corners, and with the taxiway setup in LHR more like a Go Kart track, there is not a lot of opportunity to build up the taxi speed. (Got to keep the Brake temps below 300 degrees) In SIN, it is usually only a short slow taxy to the runway to give the cabin crew time to prepare the cabin for take-off.

Flap retract speeds- Actually the speeds are lower than a 744 mainly due to the wing being almost double the area of a 744 wing (850ish square meteres, the size of a normal house block) . QF A380's use a minimum acceleration height of 1,500 ft above airfield. (ARS- Auto Retract System will ensure the trailing edge flaps retract at 212 knots from Conf1+F, if not already selected by crew).

Keg
4th Nov 2009, 23:50
I have paxed on the 380 many times now but have yet to experience the comforts of premium economy. (1st class only, so far )

Show off. :ok:

inandout
5th Nov 2009, 01:04
VA- PE Seat is .5'' wider than Qf 380 and IFE screen size is the same 10.6'', both recline 9'', so both products much the same, as you would expect for new aircraft.
The new 200LRs will have a little more room however due to 18hr sectors.

VH-XXX
5th Nov 2009, 03:51
In "normal" economy section, the self-serve snack bar consists of bottled water and apple pieces. :ok: Great stuff if you're a triathlete or super model perhaps, but how about something with chocolate or sugar :ugh:

Jabawocky
5th Nov 2009, 03:57
But you are a ....... triathlete or super model perhaps

So what are you on about! :E

b_sta
5th Nov 2009, 04:39
Don't you know this country has an obesity problem, XXX :}

MakeItHappenCaptain
5th Nov 2009, 04:46
What obesity problem????

I past the six pack and working on a keg!!:}

BeerMan
5th Nov 2009, 05:30
With regard to late flap retraction, my understanding of the noise abatement procedure out of Heathrow is Thrust Reduction @1000ft, and acceleration (flap retraction) @ 4000ft. This means the flaps won't come up for a relatively long time compared to departures from other airports.

YoDawg
5th Nov 2009, 09:21
Very nice but the QF 380 guys get to go home when they sign off.

Capn Bloggs
6th Nov 2009, 05:16
Yodawg 1, A380 sandpit expert 0! :D

Ken Borough
6th Nov 2009, 22:44
ek first class bathroom/shower

The ultimate decadence?

The cost of carrying this and the two attendants, including feeding and watering them when away from DXB, must be enormous. What were the number-crunchers thinking when they signed-off on this?

training wheels
7th Nov 2009, 06:18

Just curious what is meant by that statement?

Capt Fathom
7th Nov 2009, 09:44

Just curious what is meant by that statement?
Dubai has a large expatriate population. Think about it!