PDA

View Full Version : Ibiza trip and information needed

VFR Transit
4th Nov 2009, 08:17
I am looking for some information from fellow long distance aviators, as I am planning a trip to the island of Ibiza. I will taking a C172 for a 10 day trip, which will see me depart from Essex to jersey for some cheap fuel and then on to La Rochelle for an over night stay.
I must stress that we will be in no hurry to make it onto the island, with the main purpose of the trip being to build experience.
This trip will be a first long distance trip for me, with the furthest trip for me as P1 being Reims. I am looking forward to it, but would like to get some pointers from those who travel greater distances.
I understand that Ibiza and Majorca have certain times when G.A is not permitted to arrive or depart due to commercial traffic, but have not been able to find any reference to this in the Spanish AIP, is there anyone who knows more on this?
Having only flown a short distance in France (Reims), the whole flight will be VFR and was planning on using the VFR Airways above FL65 (assuming weather is OK), although I will have the GPS as Backup.
Should really say that the main purpose of the flight is to navigate via dead reckoning with charts and stop watch.
I think that I have covered everything with regards to planning, but would just like to have someone check it over.
Equipment
·Standard Navigation Tools
·Stop Watch
·Garmin 296 GPS
·Porto John Bottle (hope I never need to use)
·4 Person Life Raft
·2 Life Jackets
·1 x PLB
·Flares & Glow Sticks
Documentation
·ALL aircraft documents
·Pilots Licence
·Radio Licence
·Passport (both mine and passenger)
·EU Health Card
·BP Fuel Card
·Driver Licence (both parts)
Charts
·UK = CAA 1:500 000
·France = SIA 1:1:000,000 (will get the travel pack)
·Spain = Jepp VFR / GPS 1:500 000
I refuse to pay loads of money for a VFR travel pack containing loads of plates for places like France and Spain, so have decided I will create my very own travel pack using the appropriate AIP sites.
I am planning to complete flying legs of 3 maybe 4 hours followed with a stop for Fuel and the loo, this will allow me to have a good fuel reserve for that “JUST IN CASE” moment.
I should also state that I was planning on doing a flight plan for each flight.
The Aircraft is a standard steam gauges with 2 x VOR, Mode S etc etc, so that will be a good horse for the race.
I am very sorry to have rambled on, so will stop. :ok:
Any advice and information for a trip like this, please drop me a reply.
Oh and no doubt I have missed information off this post, but will add that as people point out the errors.
VFR

172driver
4th Nov 2009, 09:02
Been there, done that, so here goes:

No need for trip kits, you get most info online.

Spain here (http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=ES_ES&MO=2&SMO=4&Section=7&SiteName=NavegacionAerea&c=Page&cid=1078418725163&other=1083158950596&other2=1085129983354&other3=1096014659677&pagename=subHome#ancla35211)
France here (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/)

Free registration required.

Crossing France is easy, just stay above all the mil airspace. Controllers in both countries are pretty relaxed and helpful. Just ask for FIS and off you go. The Continent is nowhere near as anal as the UK about providing a radar service to VFR traffic. In my experience also hardly ever a problem getting CAS transit (in Spain you'll be flying in it anyway).

Spain and VFR at LEIB and others: check the NOTAMs and check well back! This can really catch you out. You don't say when you plan to go, but now (i.e. winter), this is not normally an issue, except around Xmas/New Year.

Fuel for private flying is, AFAIK, cheaper in France than in Spain. In Spain, try to fuel where there is a fuel station, as they charge extra if the bowser has to drive to your a/c.

Flight plan - of course you will do one, in Spain you have to anyway.

Navigation. I am not going to go into the absurd 'GPS for backup only' debate here :ugh::ugh:, but better learn to use the thing properly, you WILL need it. Depending on your routing, there may be a couple of VFR transit routes (Perpignan, Barcelona, also the VFR arrival into LEIB) that you had better programmed before setting off.

Charts: personally prefer the Jepps, but each to his own....

Fuel cards: fine, but have sufficient cash handy, as this may not always work. I would suggest to have the equivalent of one full tank plus landing/parking fees and taxi to nearest town on you (in Euro, of course).

One last thing - make sure the a/c isn't due for some maintenance check during your trip.

HTH and have a great flight :ok:

dublinpilot
4th Nov 2009, 11:27
Make sure you know where the VRP's are in France and Spain. They aren't in your G 296, and aren't shown on the SIA 1M scale charts (**** all is shown on them apart from airpsace).

I too would want my route programmed into my GPS. But there is little point in doing that unless you turn it on, and get a 3D fix before setting off. By all means turn it away from your view if you want to DR, but if you want the 296 to function as a backup, it will take too long to get a fix, and programme in your route if you're attempting to do it when already airborne.

In fact it's quite possible that it won't get a fix at all until you are back on the ground.

dp

dublinpilot
4th Nov 2009, 11:30
You said that you'll follow the airways in France. I know that Peter goes on about that a fair bit ;) but I've never seen any benefit in it.

I always make up my own route through France (pretty close to direct) and it's never been much of a problem. Stay high and you'll be covered by radar and won't have to give any strange town names as position reports ;) You might need to avoid the odd militiary airspace, but it will probably be closer to direct than you would be by following the airways.

david viewing
4th Nov 2009, 12:44
Since you don't mention it, do get an Afpex account and learn how to use it. I know some people are having trouble getting accounts, but it might be that last in the queue means first in line, especially if you follow up with phone calls. Afpex has transformed my long distance flying because (so far!) there have been no more of the lost, missing or simply disregarded VFR FPL's that used to be such a plague.

Some people will say that Olivia is a simpler alternative, especially as it will cover your route in France and across the border. If you can't get Afpex, do use Olivia. But I have had Olivia FPL's vanish, just like the hand scribed / faxed / phoned variety so it's Afpex all the way for me and it's as important a contribution to hassle free flying as, for instance, GPS is for actually identifying your destination when you arive.

Enjoy the trip! PS I've only been as far as Santander in Spain and they were very helpful.

VFR Transit
4th Nov 2009, 13:10
Thanks everyone for the input., Iam really looking forward to the trip which will be in the first part of next year. :ok:

David viewing.

I already have an Afpex account, and was one of the lucky ones to get it issued not long after it came out, i got it as a student :} as I have my CAA ref on my medical which they accepted. I have since given them my licence number in full.

Can anyone tell me where I can find old Notam information for spain? or if there is even such a place?

VFR

rtl_flyer
4th Nov 2009, 15:02
VFR,

In Spain most of the airfields require you to enter AND EXIT their ATZ via points. They are shown on Jepp' maps - 'NE, E etc. Worth punching them into your GPS as they can be tricky to locate at a time when you are getting busy as you arrive.

I have been to Sansabastian (nice and easy to clear Spanish customs and no handling charges). Zaragoza, in the middle of a very empty central Spain. The whole area is under radar, they may not talk to you but they are keeping an eye on you. Valencia, big airfield. You will need handling if you have not already cleared customs. Can be tricky getting to and from airside. GA parking on it's own. Muchamel, nice smal flying club strip. But no car hire etc and remote.

CHECK airfield data and Notams. E.g. Zaragoza has an aresta wire, and Valencia can be closed to all VFR traffic including the ATZ on F1 weekend - included 7'500 ft corridor above. Make sure your charts are current - Valencia corridor went from 7500ft below to 7500ft above.

I have been as far as Alicante (Muchamel), hope to do Ibiza next trip. From the two trips I made down the Atlantic coast into SanSabastian then Alicante or Valencia , off the coast at Denia is a good route. A PLB is a good idea as there is not much in central Spain if you have to force land - make sure you have plenty of water for that leg.

Have a good trip.

Tim

Here are my two trips:
Cessna 150 - Popham to Valencia - Cessna 150 (http://www.gapilot.co.uk/trips/SpainJul04/spain_july.htm)
Vans RV7 (bit quicker!) - GAPilot - (GO-7) Flight to Spain (http://www.gapilot.co.uk/mf2008/spain08.htm)

Pace
4th Nov 2009, 15:30
I would also go with Tims advice on route. I have flown Piper Seneca Fives to Malaga via San Sebastian on numerous occasions but always IFR.

I also flew the route as far as San Sebastian in single and had one of the most enjoyable flights following the west coast of France.

Go into La rochelle and then fly very low level along the beaches past Biarritz and into San Sebastian.

That is a cannot go wrong wont hit anything route other than maybe a Seagull :rolleyes: With loads of diversion airfields on route.
Leaving San Sebastian be careful with weather as you are looking at 7000 foot mountains although in good weather you will have a second marvel of the Pyrennies on your left.

I would also take Tims point on dehydration. I flew the route in 40plus degrees and felt really ill on getting to San Sebastian. I was single pilot and told the owner I couldnt go on. I then drank gallons of water and the transformation was amazing. Those gallons caused me a major problem on the next leg to Malaga so also carry another bottle ;) but not for drinking from.

Pace

172driver
4th Nov 2009, 15:50
In Spain most of the airfields require you to enter AND EXIT their ATZ via points. They are shown on Jepp' maps - 'NE, E etc. Worth punching them into your GPS as they can be tricky to locate at a time when you are getting busy as you arrive.

Correct. In addition it's a good idea to have a look at the local names for these points (they are indicated on the downloadable AENA terminal charts) as part of your pre-flight or arrival briefing, as local pilots often refer to them by their names and not by E/N/W/S or whatever. Helps with situational awareness.

VFR Transit
4th Nov 2009, 16:01
Quote:

Correct. In addition it's a good idea to have a look at the local names for these points (they are indicated on the downloadable AENA terminal charts) as part of your pre-flight or arrival briefing, as local pilots often refer to them by their names and not by E/N/W/S or whatever. Helps with situational awareness.Yeah I have spotted this already on the Ibiza plates, if arriving from the north, you will be asked to report at N which is over san antoni.

Thanks for all the info guys, It is going to be a great trip and am very much looking forward to it.

VFR

liam548
4th Nov 2009, 17:58
Make sure you do a write up on here with some photos ;)

VFR Transit
5th Nov 2009, 09:09
Thanks everyone for the info :ok:

VFR

rtl_flyer
5th Nov 2009, 09:51
Just don't forget to EXIT back to the points they request - It's only Spain in my experience route your VFR departure like this.
I was departing Zaragoza, as I took off they requested an immediate left turn for a departing military jet (quite a sight!). Then I had to route back to the ATZ entry/exit exactly! I was slightly off and they queried where I was going.

Through central Spain you will never see another a/c. Then you get to Valencia or Alicante etc and see lots of BIG ONES! :eek: They mix you in with ease, but make sure you have all your radio freq to hand and queued in your radio.

San Sabastian is in a good location. You can climb out to sea away from the mountains well above any clouds with hard centres! I climbed to 8000ft (overhead/at sea) to route over Pamplona. Stayed at 8000ft - leaned back and got some good fuel consumption - PLUS ITS COOLER! As you arrive at your destinantions and "report at #### 15000ft" you then realise how hot it is.

Have fun it's a really great trip, for me on the first trip in my C150 it made the world seem so much smaller.

Tim

DLT1939
5th Nov 2009, 21:20
Ibiza are friendly to GA - was there last March - you should get free handling as a private flight into the GA terminal. On return, they will bus you to AIS to file flight plan and pay modest landing fee. Fuel is at a pump near the GA parking; tell tower you want to go there on arrival or the marshaller will park you first. If you can persuade the refueller you are "commercial" - try just telling him - the fuel will be less tax.