PDA

View Full Version : Pilot headset 18-50 any good?

pipertommy
4th Nov 2009, 08:03
Hi,
Does anyone use the Pilot Headset 18-50? It sounds good value on paper. I`m considering the DC 13.4 or ph 18-50. The ANR of the 18-50 makes it tempting.

I would appreciate a basic review if its worth the money and stands up to use in GA flying.

Thanks.
PT

Pilot DAR
4th Nov 2009, 16:25
I've had less that good experience with some less costly headsets, and have never regretted buying David Clark. Spend the extra for DC, it's worth it, inless you're planning on loosing it!

pipertommy
5th Nov 2009, 08:40
Thanks, good point:}

KandiFloss
5th Nov 2009, 09:21
I use the Pilot 18-50 ANR headset and can't fault it :ok: it's better than a yucky green headset :yuk: (no offence to anyone who uses the DC ones) even though I borrowed my hubby's DC one when I did my PPL. (I don't want to sound blonde in saying this ... but I prefer the Pilot headsets as they are a nicer colour)

IO540
5th Nov 2009, 13:21
I had the Pilot 17-79 (the one they claim was used in the Space Station) and it was crap. I sent it back to the manufacturer in the USA, and they confirmed it was to spec.

After a lot of comparative tests I bought the bose-x. Wouldn't waste money on anything lesser although the Lightspeed Zulu is said by some to be as good so that's worth a look.

With cheap headsets, you get what you pay for.

Lister Noble
5th Nov 2009, 13:26
I've got a Pilot ANR,had it over four years and can't fault it,used it in loads of different aircraft and never had a problem.
The other option is Peltor,passive but good noise reduction ,are used by several instructors I've met,good sound and strong.
Lister:)

Aytonace
5th Nov 2009, 15:13
Have a look at beyerdynamic as well (german headset). I have the HS300 passive headset which is brilliant. The sound quality is top notch and you can also custom design your headset on the beyerdynamic website. They are very comfy to wear and I much prefer them to DC.

steveking
5th Nov 2009, 21:09
I wouldn't know about the ANR of the 18-50, but I have had the Bose and the lightspeed zulus and they are in a different league to passive headsets. The bose or zulus can make you feel like youv'e got into a different aircraft, quieter, fantastic audio all of a sudden you can understand those stations that were hard to cope with before and overall a more enjoyable relaxing flight.

Torquatus
5th Nov 2009, 22:24
In my opinion the Pilot headsets are the pick of the low-cost stuff at the moment, and I have a passive set for lending to passengers. That said, I wear a set of DCs myself - a set of DC10-30s, an old set with the non-textured shells. I don't think I'll ever kill them, but then again I paid more for them (second-hand) than I paid for the Pilot headset (new).

pipertommy
6th Nov 2009, 08:44
Thanks everyone, i`m going to go for the DC 13.4 and maybe in a year or two get a ANR conversion if it`s worth it. Thanks again.

PS
Beyerdynamic headsets do look nice!!