PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming Troops Banned...

MightyGem
3rd Nov 2009, 18:42
...from the Tiger Tiger bar in Croyden:
Soldiers turned away from Tiger Tiger bar for wearing uniforms - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6469727/Soldiers-turned-away-from-Tiger-Tiger-bar-for-wearing-uniforms.html)
:mad: :mad:

Here's their feedback page:
Feedback - TigerTiger Croydon (http://www.tigertiger-croydon.co.uk/feedback/)

I'm sure you can come up with something. :rolleyes: :E :E

liedtoagain
3rd Nov 2009, 19:55
Yep, passed on my thoughts in a polite way.

:ugh::ugh:

TEEEJ
3rd Nov 2009, 20:02
Why give the bar grief? The rules are quite clear on HM Forces being on licensed premises in uniform regardless of the occasion. I've attended Military Funerals and wakes and as a group we changed into civilian clothes in order to enter licensed premises.

Why couldn't the Borough have arranged with the British Legion to host the soldiers at a private function not in a public bar? A function approved by the Chain of Command. It would have saved all the hassle.

'0113.

Occasion on which uniform is NOT to be worn.

b. Visits to licensed premises (including when not consuming alcohol), except when specifically approved by the Chain of Command.'

I would suggest that it is another example of certain journalists spinning a story. I would suggest that there were no 'outraged soldiers', but purley outraged members of the public who are unaware of the rules and regs governing uniform in licensed premises. Watch the story take on a life of its own in other media outlets.

TheWizard
3rd Nov 2009, 20:19
A lot of the crews that took part in the Biggin Hill airshow this year were accommodated in Croydon. Many went to Tiger Tiger and after a quick chat with one of the doormen (ex Bootneck), were ushered in front of the long queue going around the block (Sat night) and were waved past the cash desk with no charge.
So they are not anti-military, as someone has said they were just enforcing their policy.
If the parade was during the afternoon and it was 8 PM then soldiers who have been drinking till that time in uniform may not be a great advert.
It seems that most realised this and did the sensible thing and bought a £1.99 drinking suit from Primark.
This does sound like the media trying to load up the 'outrage bus'.:hmm:

TEEEJ
3rd Nov 2009, 20:59
See following story. Some of the comments refute the claims that the soldiers were removed from the bar.

Uniformed soldiers thrown out of bar hours after homecoming parade for 'not being smart enough' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1224184/Uniformed-soldiers-thrown-bar-hours-homecoming-parade-smart-enough.html)

TJ

TheOptimist
3rd Nov 2009, 21:01
Why are you even bothered?

The place is a business and runs a strict dress code in the evenings. They didn't adhere to the dress code, it's their problem.

Captain Airclues
3rd Nov 2009, 22:00
In an official statement, a spokesman for Tiger Tiger denied that soldiers had been asked to leave
He said: 'No soldiers were forced to change clothes at Tiger Tiger Croydon. There were a number of soldiers in fatigues in the bar on Thursday.
'As with any customer, they were told that we have an evening dress code and asked to change if possible. Some of the soldiers were unable to get changed but, because of the significance of the event that day, an exception was made and they were permitted to stay.
'It was an important day for the regiment and town which is why an exception was made.'

It sounds as though the bar behaved quite reasonably.

barnstormer1968
4th Nov 2009, 10:07
I note the reporter states a military source said it was outrageous!

Odd really as he/she would have known the rules for drinking in uniform on licensed premises.

I suspect the source may have looked very much like the reporter in question, and was wearing clothes very similar to the reporter in question, as well as sounded like them too:}.

vecvechookattack
4th Nov 2009, 17:41
This definitely stinks of a reporter fishing for a tale to spin. All servicemen know the rules about wearing uniform in public especially in public houses and bars.